Alaska in September?

testerlady

We are considering taking an Alaskan cruise in September. We've been there before, but in the summer. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone here can answer. Are there still whales in Juno at this time or have they all gone south? Can you see the northern lights at this time of year? Are there still things to do in the ports.  Thanks for any information.

I have been to Alaska on one of the last cruises of the season and can attest to whales in Juneau.  According to our marine biologist, there are some whales in Auke Bay that remain all year.  Northern Lights are possible but you have to be off the ship and away from the city I have been told.

Shops are still open and pushing extreme sales (bring an extra collapsible duffle bag just in case). Excursions were still available.  I stocked up on salmon jerky.  The train ride had some amazing colors and the rain was a big issue.

image.png.c9487ff89070ed597104052db3d84e74.png

We are going in September too.  BF is a big fan of (believe it or not) cold temperatures and rain.  I have literally zero chance of ever getting him to the Caribbean!  Looking forward to trying to see whales and bears.  Debating on the train in Skagway or a rental car... I may let him make that decision! 

4 hours ago, LadyMac72 said:

We are going in September too.  BF is a big fan of (believe it or not) cold temperatures and rain.  I have literally zero chance of ever getting him to the Caribbean!  Looking forward to trying to see whales and bears.  Debating on the train in Skagway or a rental car... I may let him make that decision! 

In Skagway we are doing DyeaDave's (Emerald Lake Tour), so it will be a train ride up, but a van/small bus down.  Kinda' the best of both worlds without renting a car.

For popular coastal locations, September is the second-most rainy month of the year (October is #1 but the season is essentially finished by then).

Juneau receives almost 7 inches, Sitka gets 13 inches and Ketchikan a whopping 16 inches - that's an average of half an inch every day.

By contract, New York City receives 3.5 inches in September.
This is climate, not weather, but it's still a good indicator of not only rainfall but (lack of) sunshine as well.

I have been to Alaska the last 2 Septembers (2nd/3rd week).  No rain first year and quite a bit this year.

Whales still around and all excursions still going.  Nice to see fall colors outside Skagway.

Same amount of ships in port in September as there were in July.

We got rain pants with a great sale. 

I probably will avoid September for awhile due to the rain this year (no fires/smoke like in July though).

14 minutes ago, testerlady said:

I guess we'll just have to hope it doesn't rain all the time. We're going to do a cruise tour so maybe we'll get to see the northern lights. If not, I'll just have to convince my husband to go to Iceland.

Norway is good also I hear.

We went in September and it was great.  There were still lots of whales and we also got the opportunity to see orcas as well.  Our guide at the time made a joke we got a 2 for 1 deal :).  We were also lucky to see lots of bears.  We got to see a bear at Mendenhall Glacier and took a flight seeing tour just to see bears.  We finished the trip off with our own personal land tour in Denali.  The forecast for the northern lights was high.  Of course we went to bed about 2 am and 2:15 apparently there was an amazing show.  Just missed it.