Snorkeling at Harvest Caye

Punnymaker

2 minutes ago, Punnymaker said:

Is there anywhere to snorkel at Harvest Caye without booking an excursion?  We have our own gear.

Sure, you can snorkel right off the beach. However, the water is shallow so it is not very clear like Costa Maya or Cozumel, especially if the wind is kicking up waves.

1 hour ago, Punnymaker said:

Thanks.  Is there any particular beach or part of the island that is better than others?

We’re going there soon and I believe I read somewhere else that you can snorkel right from shore in same area as excursions are. We’ve been enjoying snorkeling for 30 years now with our own snorkeling gear. TripAdvisor and cruise critic has been great for info. Very interested in more information?

I've been to Harvest Cay a few times and was very much underwhelmed by the place.  Stirrup Cay on the other hand has really nice snorkelling right in the enclosed bay.

The only half decent snorkelling I found in Harvest Cay was by booking the "Barrier reef snorkel" excursion... I'll be back there in 2 weeks on the Breakaway and am not sure if I'll just have a beach day or book the excursion again.

Anyone who is a snorkeler is going to be VERY disappointed.  I wouldn’t waste my time.    But I’m very picky and want superior options.   I head out to Caye Caulker by ferry when I have a Belize port.    Have you been there?   What are your expectations and history areas.      I’m actually in an airport now heading to Hawaii for 3 weeks.    I get a lot of excellent snorkeling in.    100 times surpasses Harvest.   

1 hour ago, cementhands said:

We’re going there soon and I believe I read somewhere else that you can snorkel right from shore in same area as excursions are. We’ve been enjoying snorkeling for 30 years now with our own snorkeling gear. TripAdvisor and cruise critic has been great for info. Very interested in more information?

Do you have any details as to where that is? How would I find that area once on the island?

13 hours ago, rubytue said:

Do you have any details as to where that is? How would I find that area once on the island?

Your question spurred me to do more research as we’re going in February. Seems like you have to do a ferry ride or excursions to a snorkeling area. Many say the water at harvest is murky from shore. But excursions go to a reef.
I thought I saw a post about snorkeling from shore at harvest beach past the pool area but can’t find it now 
I’m going to bring my snorkeling gear and try from shore.

I’ll post any information on my return. It’s funny but in the past the snorkeling from shore is often better than an excursions because you are closer to the reef.
Example Arrachi beach Aruba. We take the public bus to the beach and snorkeling from shore is excellent.

We have done quite a bit of snorkeling at various places.  I tried it on my own at Harvest Cay--very, very poor.  Water is not that clear, very few, if any, fish and really no coral.  I tried several areas, including up near the rocks by the dock area, because fish often congregate in places like that.  Practically nothing to be seen.

I did get stung by a jellyfish though!  Which has never happened before in 40 plus years of snorkeling.

I am not a fan of Harvest Cay, mostly just a beach day, and the beach isn't that nice.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cementhands said:

It’s funny but in the past the snorkeling from shore is often better than an excursions because you are closer to the reef.

Don't forget that "Harvest Cay" is a heavily modified engineered island and many areas are not in their natural state. The current beach areas were formed with dredgers and bulldozers so there is little to see under water there. 

On the other side in the bay where the excursions start from (top right in photo) it's possible there could be some OK snorkelling but consider there is heavy boat and ferry traffic there so I'm not sure I'd want to swim there (if it's even allowed)

I might check out the mangrove from the beach side near where the ship docks (top left in photo) to see if it's worth it and if they allow me (there sadly was a drowning a few months ago there from snorkelers who may have overestimated their ability so NCL might be a bit skittish).  

On the other hand, I will confirm that the "Barrier Reef Snorkel" excursion is quite nice.  It's a bit crowded, but they split people in smaller groups and there is a LOT to see under water and most of the swim is never deeper than 6-15ft).  I attached a compilation of a few pics I took there.

Harvest Cay.jpg

Belize Barrier Reef - Contact sheet.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I tried several areas, including up near the rocks by the dock

Looks like you answered my exploration idea as I was typing it 😉   Cheers! 

1 hour ago, cementhands said:

Your question spurred me to do more research as we’re going in February. Seems like you have to do a ferry ride or excursions to a snorkeling area. Many say the water at harvest is murky from shore. But excursions go to a reef.
I thought I saw a post about snorkeling from shore at harvest beach past the pool area but can’t find it now 
I’m going to bring my snorkeling gear and try from shore.

I’ll post any information on my return. It’s funny but in the past the snorkeling from shore is often better than an excursions because you are closer to the reef.
Example Arrachi beach Aruba. We take the public bus to the beach and snorkeling from shore is excellent.

I learned that lesson in Aruba, too. Did one of the boat bc I wanted to see the shipwreck. Then several days later we were driving around and said “oh, isn’t that where we snorkeled?” Best snorkeling we had in Aruba was Mangel Halto. And we did that from shore.

I’ll be bringing my stuff to shore anyway, so I’ll try some of these spot just for fun. Thanks for the tips, @Pat.D! That reef nooks AMAZING! I’m tempted, but my H already bailed on this trip, so I kinda feel I’ve spent enough and shouldn’t do another $100 excursion. But you’ve almost tempted me.

• Like 2