Scooters on the blue line in Mazatlan?

PekingeseLady

I am not sure how scooter-friendly this walk is.  I don't recall any steps beyond normal street curbs, but I was never focused on this issue of mobility-scooters as I have done the walk.  My knees don't keep me from climbing up or down a short flight of steps, so I am not sure.  

I hope someone comes in with a more definite answer for you.

• Thanks 1

The Blue line goes down the middle of the street so scooters should be able to navigate there. I don't know about the curbs and I don't know about scooters on the people movers that take you from the ship to the port exit in Mazatlan.

Riff said:  "I don't know about scooters on the people movers that take you from the ship to the port exit in Mazatlán."

Because someone had asked about wheel chair access (or was it scooter) on the trams from the ship to the Mazatlán visitor center before my last Mex Riv cruise, I had paid attention.  The trams have ramps for wheelchairs and scooters, so that part is no problem.

Not sure about the street but some of the sidewalks are very uneven and curbs are unusually high as the area tends to flood. Hopefully someone with more information will come along. There was a thread about this around 4-6 weeks ago in this forum.

We were there in December 2017. At that time my DH couldn't walk very far. He took his scooter on the cruise. My brother and I were going to Stone Island on our own and my DH wouldn't be able to walk that distance. While we were gone he decided to go on shore with his scooter. He was able to travel off the ship and to the terminal. Although there is a shuttle, they let him go on his own. From what others have said, it sounds like they have accessible shuttles too.

He was able to navigate following the blue line into town. Yes the sidewalks can be uneven and he had to go around a couple of curbs but there was nothing that prevented him from proceeding on his own. Good luck and smooth sailings!

Edited by ZonaCruiser

I was there over New Years and twice walked the blue line to the large indoor market in old town near the church- there and back, and walked to the water shuttle to Stone island. The terrain seemed very unfriendly to a scooter. The blue line does go down the middle of the Street and the many expat volunteers advised walking on the street not the sidewalk as the sidewalk was extremely uneven. There were times however with traffic that I had to hop up on the sidewalk and then back down onto the road. There were also large potholes in the road. As you get close to the market/church there are street vendors selling food and a variety of items with buyers gathered around that would make it very difficult to either be on the sidewalk or going around roadside. Plus lots of traffic once you get closer to the market and church. A bit of fun mayhem. The market is narrow between aisles and crowded but awesome!

Going to stone island involves an uneven surface sidewalk followed by gravel driveway with potholes and then getting into the boat - not for the faint of heart. Not crazy, but I did accept the hands offered me. The beach is rocky and a teensy downhill then a stunning soft sandy beach that goes on forever. Stone island is actually a peninsula I believe so you can get a cab or Pulmonia to there. Lots of restaurants and beach vendors and places to rent horses, quads, banana boat rides, etc.

There is a little market right where the ship docks with shops, and a little bar and music and place to sit under a lovely shade tree. When you go out onto the street side, there are lots of ex-pat volunteers. One of them will be able to advise you maybe better than me - maybe there’s an alternate path to the market & church that is more scooter friendly. The Pulmonia’s are quite fun and can give you a good affordable tour around.

Love the central Mercado in Old Mazatlan. Definitely a cultural eyeopener, especially once you get all the way to the back. I thought it was great. My wife - at first glance, not so much, but she came around. Fair to say that no part of an animal goes unused.

Edited by SDPadreFan