Refund of Port Fees, etc.

So, I have a question I didn't want to have to post, but here it goes.  First, a little bit of background.  My mom, sister, niece and I were supposed to go on a cruise on the Navigator next Monday out of Miami.  My sister had fairly major surgery a week and a half ago, but was still ready to go because she thought it would be good to relax.  Unfortunately, due to some complications, she can no longer go.  My mom, who has had her own health issues, who my sister and I take care of, doesn't feel comfortable going anymore.  My sister cannot currently care for my mom in her condition because she herself now needs some care.  So, it looks like I'll have to stay home too.  The cruise will most likely have to be cancelled.  I am not entitled to a refund of any cruise fare.  My question is about a refund of the port fees.  I've read on these boards that if guests end up not going, they are refunded port fees, etc.  Is that only if some guests do not cruise, or would that apply if nobody booked to the room goes?  Also,  does a refund apply in the case of no-shows, cancellations or both?  I am wondering if I need to go through the steps to officially cancel or not.  And, are the gratuities also refunded if we have pre-paid them?  Thanks for any answers.

Anyone who does not go on the cruise gets their taxes refunded, whether a cancel or a no show.

Also refunded are prepaid gratuities and anything purchased via the Cruise Planner.

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Anyone who does not go on the cruise gets their taxes refunded, whether a cancel or a no show.

Also refunded are prepaid gratuities and anything purchased via the Cruise Planner.

OK.  Thanks.  Do I have to contact Royal at all to make a request, or will they just automatically process things?

9 minutes ago, MaskedTurtle said:

OK.  Thanks.  Do I have to contact Royal at all to make a request, or will they just automatically process things?

Automatic.  Refunded to credit card(s) used for the purchases.

5 minutes ago, MaskedTurtle said:

Thank you.  Right now I am just stressed, concerned, upset...you name it.  I'll have to keep an eye on my credit card for the refund.

Good luck to you, I hope it all works out. 

1 hour ago, MaskedTurtle said:

So, I have a question I didn't want to have to post, but here it goes.  First, a little bit of background.  My mom, sister, niece and I were supposed to go on a cruise on the Navigator next Monday out of Miami.  My sister had fairly major surgery a week and a half ago, but was still ready to go because she thought it would be good to relax.  Unfortunately, due to some complications, she can no longer go.  My mom, who has had her own health issues, who my sister and I take care of, doesn't feel comfortable going anymore.  My sister cannot currently care for my mom in her condition because she herself now needs some care.  So, it looks like I'll have to stay home too.  The cruise will most likely have to be cancelled.  I am not entitled to a refund of any cruise fare.  My question is about a refund of the port fees.  I've read on these boards that if guests end up not going, they are refunded port fees, etc.  Is that only if some guests do not cruise, or would that apply if nobody booked to the room goes?  Also,  does a refund apply in the case of no-shows, cancellations or both?  I am wondering if I need to go through the steps to officially cancel or not.  And, are the gratuities also refunded if we have pre-paid them?  Thanks for any answers.

I am so sorry to hear about everyone's woes.  I hope that your Mom, your sister and you are all much better soon.  What a mess for you!  

The only thing that is completely non refundable is the cruise fare itself (and anything you paid for insurance.  I don't suppose that you three have travel insurance?)  So...……..any taxes, fees, pre-paid gratuities/excursions/packages will be refunded.

Have you told the cruise line that you're cancelling?  Realizing that without insurance you are in no way entitled to any refund of the cruise fare, stranger things have happened.  It's free to try and see if you can switch some or part or your cruise fare to a future cruise.  Very likely they'll say no, but sometimes you just never know.  You should give it a shot. 

Thanks everyone.  I did not get the insurance because it seemed like a lot for this trip.  We've gotten it in the past and have never needed it.  I figured we could spend that money on other cruise stuff.  It's been a few years since we've cruised, so yes, I did ask a lot of questions here, partly because I needed the info and partly because of the excitement of taking a cruise again.  We definitely will go, but it just won't be right now.