WiFi question

Dinda

I have purchased the Voom Surf and Stream for our upcoming cruise.  I have read that I will need to put my phone in Airplane mode.  I have an Iphone and was wondering about using my Face Time app and my text messenger through their wifi and also my email.  Thanks for any help.

22 minutes ago, Dinda said:

I have purchased the Voom Surf and Stream for our upcoming cruise.  I have read that I will need to put my phone in Airplane mode.  I have an Iphone and was wondering about using my Face Time app and my text messenger through their wifi and also my email.  Thanks for any help.

After you out the phone in Airplane Mode, check that WiFi is still enabled.  You may have to turn it back on.

That’s on of the major pluses I like iPhone over android. You can only iMessage someone. If they have a Android it uses SMS and won’t be able to get text since it uses cell daft only. But you can FaceTime or video chat on Facebook messenger over WiFi to any device

2 minutes ago, DustFSU said:

That’s on of the major pluses I like iPhone over android. You can only iMessage someone. If they have a Android it uses SMS and won’t be able to get text since it uses cell daft only. But you can FaceTime or video chat on Facebook messenger over WiFi to any device

If the iPhone is using WiFi calling, it can send SMS messages.

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Both iPhone and Android users can SMS each other over wireless using WhatsApp.

WhatsApp does not use SMS, it uses internet. With WiFi calling, no app is needed.

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Both iPhone and Android users can SMS each other over wireless using WhatsApp.

But both parties need the app.

With WiFi calling, your phone works like it does on cellular.  People call or text your number, and the call goes through.

You MUST set up WiFi calling before you leave.  Your phone has to be connected to your cellular service.

I BELIEVE that Android users can SMS over WiFi if WiFi calling is set up on their carrier, but this may be carrier-dependent.  Or, Android users with Google Fi as a carrier can send/receive text messages over WiFi.

By the way @DustFSU - that "plus" of iPhone over Android only applies if the iPhone user on the ship is trying to message another iPhone user.  But.. hang out there with your blinders on if you wish.  Next thing we know, you'll be complaining about "green bubbles".  Maybe Android doesn't "just work", but with the right knowledge or research it can be just as powerful (if not more).

The key is to set it up and test it while still home, then you can contact carrier support for help if needed.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

I BELIEVE that Android users can SMS over WiFi if WiFi calling is set up on their carrier, but this may be carrier-dependent.  Or, Android users with Google Fi as a carrier can send/receive text messages over WiFi.

By the way @DustFSU - that "plus" of iPhone over Android only applies if the iPhone user on the ship is trying to message another iPhone user.  But.. hang out there with your blinders on if you wish.  Next thing we know, you'll be complaining about "green bubbles".  Maybe Android doesn't "just work", but with the right knowledge or research it can be just as powerful (if not more).

The key is to set it up and test it while still home, then you can contact carrier support for help if needed.

If your phone and carrier support WiFi calling, and you set it up, and then use it, yes you can SMS via WiFi.  Android, iPhone or whatever phone.  

SMS uses the same setup as cell calling.   Remember the 140 character limit for SMS?  That was due that was how much space was on the connection, in between the voice stuff.  

No, the reason you set it up at home is, you MUST be connected to your cellular service to set up WiFi calling.  It cannot be set up without a cell connection.  And you may need to be connected to your own carrier, so not able to set it up using Cellular at Sea.

Yes, iPhone users can iMessage other iPhones using just data connection, without WiFi calling.  It uses data connection primarily over cellular.  But if no data connection (could be cell data) it goes via SMS.

On iPhone, if the message goes iMessage, once it goes, the background of the message turns Blue.  If it goes SMS, it turns Green.

Edited by SRF

Regardless of type of phone:

1. Turn on Airplane Mode.
2. Turn on Wi-Fi.

3. Connect to Royal's Wi-Fi.

That's all you need to do.

If you have set up Wi-Fi calling ahead of time, you can make phone calls and send texts anytime you are connected to the Wi-Fi.  You don't need a special app, and the person you're calling or texting with doesn't need a special app.  You just use your phone normally while you're in Airplane Mode and connected to Wi-Fi.

Most (if not all) US-based cellular providers support Wi-Fi calling.  Just google your provider name and wifi calling for instructions about how to set it up ("Verizon wifi calling" or "AT&T wifi calling" or "T-mobile wifi calling").  Then once you have it set up, you can try it out at home before you leave.  Turn on Airplane Mode, then turn on Wi-Fi to connect to your home internet.  You can now make phone calls or send texts just like you normally would.  (Don't forget to turn off Airplane Mode before you leave your house again, or your phone won't work!)

I actually use Wi-Fi calling at home, because my house is located in a dead spot for my cell provider -- I never have more than a single bar of signal strength here.  My phone recognizes the lack of signal strength and automatically uses Wi-Fi calling when I'm here, because I just leave it enabled all the time. When I'm out and about and have access to an actual cell signal, my phone recognizes that and uses that instead.  (Just like how your phone uses your Wi-Fi for internet at home, and uses your data plan for internet when you're out and about.)