Shore Excursions-St. Maarten and St. Thomas

mandm2

My husband and I will be taking our 1st-ever cruise April 2nd on Explorer. We have not yet booked shore excursions and would like some advice. Should we book ahead of time (to avoid any selling out) or book on the ship (to get more information about the excursions)?

Also, if we pick ones that state "1/2 day" or under 4 hours or so, do most leave first thing in the morning, or do you get a choice once you are on the island? The reason I ask is because we want to have something to do in the morning (snorkeling, beach, etc), then go shopping in the afternoon.

For St. Thomas, we are thinking of a snorkeling trip ...any suggestions?

For St. Maarten, we are thinking of the Divi Little Bay Beach Experience...good idea, advice, suggestions?

Thanks to all!

if you go to the excursions page and click on purchase, you will see your itinerary. click on st thomas and all the excursions appear, click on what excursion you may want to do and it will tell you what time that excursion leaves. you will not get charged with this booking, untill you fill out your credit card info. this will help you make a decision on how your day can be filled....we are doing the eastern caribbean in august on the navigator. we already booked our excursions because we wanted the early time so we too can go shopping in the afternoon. we booked the BOB excursion in St Thomas, and the America's Cup in St. Maarten....i hope this helps:)

In St. Maarten, you will have enough time to do the America's Cup Regatta (through the ship) and then go to a beach. The America's Cup is rated the top excursion in the Caribbean, and it deserves it! My daughter took my advice and went on this on her first cruise and she said it was fabulous, even said that they will do it again on their next cruise. Here our some pictures from our time on the Stars and Stripes: http://community.webshots.com/album/528943965HpvFnj

Also, have you checked out the ports of call forums? I know that you can do Little Divi on your own. Great suggestions can be found there, and questions will be answered.

Have a wonderful cruise!

My husband and I will be taking our 1st-ever cruise April 2nd on Explorer. We have not yet booked shore excursions and would like some advice. Should we book ahead of time (to avoid any selling out) or book on the ship (to get more information about the excursions)?

Also, if we pick ones that state "1/2 day" or under 4 hours or so, do most leave first thing in the morning, or do you get a choice once you are on the island? The reason I ask is because we want to have something to do in the morning (snorkeling, beach, etc), then go shopping in the afternoon.

For St. Thomas, we are thinking of a snorkeling trip ...any suggestions?

For St. Maarten, we are thinking of the Divi Little Bay Beach Experience...good idea, advice, suggestions?

Thanks to all!

Here is a post I left for someone else. If you like to plan your own activities. There are many other things to do as well, these are just a few.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=5665727#post5665727

In St. Maarten, I wouldn't miss Maho Beach. It's where the big jets and planes fly in right over your head, and I do mean right over....it's about 1/2 hour cab ride to it from the pier. There is food, drink, and beach chairs available there as well.

I hired a cab driver for the day, he dropped us off at the Sunset Beach Bar, and came back a couple of hours later, then toured us around the entire island, for $80.00. Then dropped us back at the pier. '

If you do go there, make sure you get there early, like before noon, as the times for incoming planes seem to be around 12-1:00.

Here is a photo;

46096976-M.jpg

We did the Buck Island Sailing and Snorkeling Tour in St. Thomas and really loved it. We would tell anybody going to St. Thomas that this was a wonderful afternoon. This was our fifth time at the island so we did not need to go to St. John's but would recommend a trip to Red Hook to get the ferry to Trunk Bay as well. Shopping on St Thomas to me is okay but very commercial I like to shop at St. Marten better. Check out the above mentioned excursion you could not be disappointed.

I wouldn't wait to get on the ship to find out more information on the excursions. Do as much research as you can before you go. We just cruised a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately the people at the excursions desk were little help. They could book our excursion,but had no additional information on it. We asked about what beaches were close so we could go out on our own at St. Maarten and they were no help at all. I learned more by asking my stateroom attendant. Another poster mentioned the BOB adventure in St. Thomas. We did this and it was a blast.You also get to snorkel . Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.

I agree Ameica's Cup is very very good. You will have to participate in the race, it's not a kcik back excursion, and they have then first thing so you can have the rest of the day easily. Shopping in St Maarten is awesome!

St Thomas has so much to offer, pick through the excursion list and times, and Trunk Bay you can eaily do on your own if you want some time at the beach. Shopping is fun there too, but for jewelery buying I'd do it in St Maarten.

check out the ports of call boards for sure...you will get the inside info on the excursions. If you find something you really want to do -- by all means book it asap....you can always cancel it on board if you change your mind, but you can't book it if it's sold out. Many of the popular excursions will be sold out. Also, there is usually a huge line to book excursions onboard --why would you want to waste your time doing that?

For snorkieling, book the ship's Captain Nautica snorkel tour. This is a great tour in a very fast, hard sided raft and is limitied to about 16 people max. These guys are very personable and knowledgable. There are 2 snorkel sites, the last of which is usually off Honeymoon Beach at St. John, so you get not only snorkeling but one of the outstanding beaches of St. John. Usually there are both morning and afternoon times for this excursion. They typically have snacks and pop as well as water for after snorkeling. And they play Beachboys music on the ride back. So cool.

For snorkeling in St. Thomas you have to do the Doubleloon! There are two sailings, one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. Highly recommend the afternoon one! Billy and Mel will take you to Buck island for an hour or so of snorkeling pointing out turtles, sting rays etc... Then on the way back the rum punch flows freely! They made the mistake by handing over control of the bar to a bunch of us Canadians. It was a BLAST!!!

For snorkeling in St. Thomas you have to do the Doubleloon! There are two sailings, one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. Highly recommend the afternoon one! Billy and Mel will take you to Buck island for an hour or so of snorkeling pointing out turtles, sting rays etc... Then on the way back the rum punch flows freely! They made the mistake by handing over control of the bar to a bunch of us Canadians. It was a BLAST!!!

Magicat - Is there a website for this or was it thru the cruise line?

Here is a post I left for someone else. If you like to plan your own activities.

My Recommendations.

St. Maarten - If the ATV Experience is offered, I highly recommend this. OUr grou pof thirty had a blast. Click on my photo link below for some pictures. Near the middle of the pack in the photo link.

1cornoa4u - How did you manage to post this picture, I have not been able to achieve this task. Could you please share your process.

Thanks

One benefit to booking them ahead of time is that you also pay for them ahead of time. Cuts down on a large onboard bill at the end of the cruise! Some also sell out so if there's something you really want to do, I would advise booking ahead.

When we were there in April we took the excursion to St John's Trunk Bay. It was beautiful to say the least. The sand was soft and clean and the snorkeling was very good too. The ferry ride was a short 20 mins or so and then the open air bus ride was very scenic too. There was still time for shopping for my wife after this excursion. We'd do it again.

I'm curious, we are deciding between the Turtle Cove Power Snorkel through RCCL and the Doubloon. Does the Doubloon have power snorkels? What do you guys think?

St. John's Trunk Bay in St. Thomas - gorgeous beach and great snorkeling (I think it's known for it cuz of the reef, it's beautiful nonetheless) - we go there over and over, it's so much fun!

Divi Little Beach is so nice!! Went there last year and we had a ball! Pretty beach, very clean and nice!

Hi Elkdude, yes you do have to book through Royal Caribbean but here is the website to show you more info http://www.doubloon.com . Flying Toaster, they do also have the power snorkel which looked like a lot of fun as well. We will be going back to St. Thomas in April 2007 and already talking about our next trip on the Doubloon!

when we were in st. thomas hubby and i went to buck island on the dancing dolphin in oct. 2004. best snorkeling trip we have ever taken. crew was great.

we also we to st. martin on the same cruise. went on the beach sojourn to orient beach. loved it so much we spent a week there last summer. most beautiful beach i have ever been to. scenery is interesting with the nudist resort at the end of the beach.:o

David, who did you book your ATV excursion in ST. Maarten through? Was it a ship tour? We would love to do that, as we had blast on the one in Aruba.Thanks for the great pictures and great idea for an excursion! :)

We booked through Royal Caribbean. It was a blast. Book early. Ours sold out many many weeks before we cruised.

The Cruise Critic board has everything you need to find out what there is to do and where to go to arrange it. I wouldn't want to put a crimp in RCL's excusion program but we found it better to research what we want to do and wing it on our own. That way you can set out on your own and go when and where you want to go without having to stay on a set schedule.

For St, Martin we took a taxi to Orient beach where we could have sand and sun as well as the water activities and then taxied back to Philipsburg for shopping.

Did the same in St. Thomas - Took a taxis to Crown Bay Marina, took the ferry to the lesser known Honeymoon beach on Water Island which is a good place to snorkel on relax without the crowds and then ferried and taxied back to town to shop our way back to the ship.

If you're into something active in St Maarten do the America's Cup regatta. It was the highlight of our cruise! Read all about it in my review below.

I've only been on 3 cruises but the Americas Cup Regatta was probably the most fun I've had on an excursion. I'd suggest anyone going to St Maarten do that at least once.

St. Thomas-- just don't make the mistake of doing the Water Island Mountain Bike excursion...the private beach at the end was nice but other than that it was nothing special.

David, do you know if there were any teenagers on your excursion, or if they had ATVs seating 2 people? I attempted to register for this excursion and noted the minimun age for driving is 18, and also it indicates that the ATVs are singles? Could this perhaps be incorrect? Did you see anyone with more than 1 person on their ATV? Your help is greatly appreciated as we really want to do this excursion. Thank you very much for lal your help!

Archived