HAL's Poor Response to Corona Virus

USN59-79

On 3/5/2020 at 11:55 AM, Hlitner said:

A travel consumer group we follow just did a summary of some major travel insurance providers.  They pointed out that MOST Major travel insurance companies do NOT provide coverage for declared epidemics which would now include COVID-19.  These policies apparently include Allianz, Travel Guard, Berkshire Hathaway, Generali Global Assist, etc.  Even our own travel health policy makes it clear that although they do include medical coverage during epidemics, they may deny claims if one travels to an announced infected area and does not take steps to immediately evacuate if a "warning to leave" has been issued by the US Government.  

Since policies can vary folks need to carefully read the policy being careful to look at fine print parts like the definitions and exclusions.  

Some folks have been shocked to learn that their cancellation policies might exclude cancellation related to an epidemic.

Hank

M

Cancellation  is not a part of my concern or  questions which  do not apply to cancellation but for a possible medical claim    Seeing I bought i t in time for pre-existing coverage, acknowledged and  confirmed  by insurer.  Would they pay a claim for medical care were I to suffer  an accident or illness unrelated to c- virus ? Or   does the 'now known pandemic' language  void all claims for medical?  I  would  not be putting in a claim for  cancellation;    only for medical should something happen making me need care.

18 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

M

Cancellation  is not a part of my concern or  questions which  do not apply to cancellation but for a possible medical claim    Seeing I bought i t in time for pre-existing coverage, acknowledged and  confirmed  by insurer.  Would they pay a claim for medical care were I to suffer  an accident or illness unrelated to c- virus ? Or   does the 'now known pandemic' language  void all claims for medical?  I  would  not be putting in a claim for  cancellation;    only for medical should something happen making me need care.

Great questions and I do not have the answers.  I did take a look at my own coverage, which is an annual travel medical policy, and it does not exclude pandemics.  But they can deny claims if you go into an area which has been subject to specific warnings from a US Government agency.  Up until to day that would probably apply to going into Northern Italy.  But today, who knows.  Ask your insurance company and also ask where it says it in writing.

Hank

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I did take a look at my own coverage, which is an annual travel medical policy, and it does not exclude pandemics. 

Hank

Hi, Hank!

Do you mind listing the name of your travel insurance company?

Thanks,

Mary-Lou

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Great questions and I do not have the answers.  I did take a look at my own coverage, which is an annual travel medical policy, and it does not exclude pandemics.  But they can deny claims if you go into an area which has been subject to specific warnings from a US Government agency.  Up until to day that would probably apply to going into Northern Italy.  But today, who knows.  Ask your insurance company and also ask where it says it in writing.

Hank

That sounds like the coverage we have, Allianz? 

3 minutes ago, DrFUN said:

Hi, Hank!

Do you mind listing the name of your travel insurance company?

Thanks,

Mary-Lou

Not at all.  It is Geoblue.  We were looking forward to  meeting you on the Westy.  We did book that same cruise next year on the Noordam.  We did like this year's itinerary somewhat better then the Noordam's, but can live with the changes.

Hank

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Not at all.  It is Geoblue.  We were looking forward to  meeting you on the Westy.  We did book that same cruise next year on the Noordam.  We did like this year's itinerary somewhat better then the Noordam's, but can live with the changes.

Hank

Thanks, Hank! We’ve been using RoamRight: good medical coverage, but the policy excludes pandemics. Good to compare. 😉

David and I also were so looking forward to finally getting to sail with both of you! Glad we had 2 fabulous weeks in Japan prior to the Volendam’s super 17-day Kobe-Vancouver crossing in Spring 2015.... Not sure about the Noordam’s Spring 2021 TP as we’re booked on the Maasdam’s March-April Mexican Riviera & Sea of Cortez. Still a year to go to decide.

Do let us know if you are ever in the Phoenix area,

Mary-Lou

21 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

We have differing viewpoints.  

What does whether HAL is or is not a leader have to do with my question    zip, zero, zilch?   U nder  the hypothetical, would Insurance pay a medical claim?  That is what I am asking and I do realize the answer is   likely  something like :  " it depends" -- maybe

• 2 months later...

I had forgotten that I started this thread prior to leaving for the Westerdam.  Anyway, we flew to Hong Kong, boarded the Westerdam, got off in Cambodia, spent a week there and got home on 21 February.  Although we still haven't been reimbursed for the 3rd of the three cruises we booked, all in all I feel we were treated very well by HAL.  I don't regret going.