Coronavirus

emmas gran

Japan has just entry of the Westerdam. According to the article, it sounds like they aren't going to allow any cruise ships into Japan. WEsterdam embarked in Hong Kong on Feb 1st scheduled to debark in Japan. No confirmed cases onboard westerdam at this time, but it does sound like there is suspicion. 

St Lucia and Antigua refused entry of an AIDA cruise ship (German based).

Multiple islands in the south pacific have closed to cruise ships.

Uncharted territory.

https://www.portandterminal.com/st-lucia-turns-away-cruise-ship-over-virus-fears/

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200206_52/

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Hi BermudaBound 2014

David is giving a very balanced view as you say, I also wonder how I/ we would go on being confined like that. Glad I posted the information about him.

We are joining Bellissima on Saturday for B2B in UAE so will post my finding here on Sunday as to the flight Emirates Airline and the boarding for the cruise . A different part of the world for some and things may be different to last March when we boarded Splendida for 28 days

Liz

Just found out we have another case confirmed in UK

Edited by emmas gran
Addition
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Japan has just entry of the Westerdam. According to the article, it sounds like they aren't going to allow any cruise ships into Japan. WEsterdam embarked in Hong Kong on Feb 1st scheduled to debark in Japan. No confirmed cases onboard westerdam at this time, but it does sound like there is suspicion. 

St Lucia and Antigua refused entry of an AIDA cruise ship (German based).

Multiple islands in the south pacific have closed to cruise ships.

Uncharted territory.

https://www.portandterminal.com/st-lucia-turns-away-cruise-ship-over-virus-fears/

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200206_52/

I have just been reading articles about this, they apparently have one unconfirmed case onboard.

They were denied entry to both the Philippines and Taiwan has now been denied disembarkation in Japan. Yokohama was the disembarkation port after it was changed from Shanghai.

Could this ship now end up in quarantine alongside the Diamond Princess?

43 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

We are joining Bellissima on Saturday for B2B in UAE....

UAE has announced that any confirmed patients in the country will not be charged for health care related to the virus. 

And when I was on the Bellissima recently they were mandating everyone get squirted with hand sanitizer before entering the ship and all dining areas for bacterial infections. I'm certain by now that they've added more safeguards according to their recent statement regarding the virus, since sanitizer doesn't kill it, but they intend to refuse to board sick passengers.  The cruise terminal itself in Dubai and all other ports in the UAE have already banned China travel of their employees a week ago.

On 2/5/2020 at 6:00 PM, Nic6318 said:

Hi

This was my first MSC cruise. So I don't know what was in place before. I didn't see anything special being done. The hand sanitizers were in place at all the food venues, but nobody was stressing their use (as I have seen at times on other cruise lines). You served yourself at the buffets. The only time there was a required use of the hand sanitizers was on returning to the ship from shore. They had personnel with a spray bottle spraying everyone's hands. 

By the way. I had a really good time on the Armonia, even though when asked on these threads nobody seemed to say much that was very positive

Thanks for the details.

In my mind the combination of not enforcing hand sanitizing and people serving themselves is a big concern. 

Last year I went on a RC cruise and at that time they would have a person next to the hand sanitizer post just suggesting/reminding people to spray their hands, as they entered the buffet. This should be the minimum with msc.

Glad to know you still able to enjoy it.

Cheers.

follow up to renatops

diamond princess- Of the 230 initially tested, 61 now confirmed. Princess initially only tested those who they felt were in contact with ground zero guest. This ship, along with one other (dream something) is officially in lock down quarantine. 

westerdam denied entry into Japan, Taiwan, Philippines.... so far no one has tested positive for cov so ship is not officially lock down quarantined- just no where to land due to countries refusing entry since westy was in Hong kong. seabourn ship in similar situation (no where to dock) https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-07/stricken-westerdam-cruise-ship-denied-entry-to-japan/11943860?pfmredir=sm

anthem of seas- 12 Chinese nationals being tested because showing signs of respiratory issues. Scheduled to dock in Bayonne tomorrow morning. I don’t like this one at all because the article is so vague- https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/02/06/cruise-ship-set-to-dock-in-bayonne-will-test-12-passengers-for-coronavirus/amp/

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

follow up to renatops

diamond princess- Of the 230 initially tested, 61 now confirmed. Princess initially only tested those who they felt were in contact with ground zero guest. This ship, along with one other (dream something) is officially in lock down quarantine. 

westerdam denied entry into Japan, Taiwan, Philippines.... so far no one has tested positive for cov so ship is not officially lock down quarantined- just no where to land due to countries refusing entry since westy was in Hong kong. seabourn ship in similar situation (no where to dock) https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-07/stricken-westerdam-cruise-ship-denied-entry-to-japan/11943860?pfmredir=sm

anthem of seas- 12 Chinese nationals being tested because showing signs of respiratory issues. Scheduled to dock in Bayonne tomorrow morning. I don’t like this one at all because the article is so vague- https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/02/06/cruise-ship-set-to-dock-in-bayonne-will-test-12-passengers-for-coronavirus/amp/

And here is Westerdam live location. Still w/o a port:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9226891

1- passenger onboard anthem just said they are about to start debarkation. I’m floored.

2- poor Westy- I had hopes Guam was going to let her in but they didn’t :(. I just read 7 other ships are currently without an debarkation country as more close their doors to cruise ships.

TRAVEL ADVICE UPDATE: 7 February 2020

To protect the health and safety of our guests and crew onboard, MSC Cruises has taken a series of precautionary actions since 24 January across its fleet with respect to the novel coronavirus that originated in China. While there are no cases of coronavirus on board any of MSC Cruises’ ships these measures are additional steps to secure the health and well-being of all guests and crew.

Guests who are embarking on a cruise are requested to take the following into account:

• Anyone who has travelled to, from or through Chinese mainland, Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan in the past 30 days, or visited or transited via airports, will be denied access to the ship. The same rules apply to such passengers’ travel companions (parent, spouse, child, siblings, or a companion who shares a cabin);

• Passengers with signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥38 C°/100.4 F°) or feverishness, chills, cough or difficulty breathing will be denied embarkation. The same rules apply to their travel companions;

• Anyone who, within 14 days before embarkation, has had close contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to novel coronavirus, will be denied boarding;

• MSC Cruises will continue to conduct preboarding screening necessary to effectuate these preventative measures;

• Passengers with a Chinese passport who have not travelled from or through Chinese mainland, Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan, in the past 30 days, and who are in good health, can access the ship. However, authorities in certain countries are temporarily not allowing holders of a Chinese passport to travel into their territories. At the date of publishing, holders of Chinese passports are not allowed to travel into: Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysian ports and Thailand. Please note this list may change based on future government regulations;

Guests who are restricted by any of the above measures are requested to contact their travel agent or the MSC Cruises contact centre number at the top of this page.

Since the outbreak of the coronavirus in China, MSC Cruises has been closely monitoring the public health and safety situation in each of the regions its ships sail. The company has been consulting with international and local health authorities to follow their advice and recommendations.

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

The Anthem Of The Seas has pulled into New Jersey in the US with 12 unconfirmed cases, the Chinese nationals have been in quarantine onboard since displaying symptoms, I hope nobody is allowed to leave until the tests have been conducted.

https://6abc.com/5910246/

59 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

passenger onboard anthem just said they are about to start debarkation. I’m floored.

I do hope not, everyone should be held until the test results are available, when you consider how quickly the numbers escalated on Diamond Princess, not an issue if it turns out to be a false alarm but if it's not........

EDIT: It appears 4 have been sent for further screening and everyone else have been allowed to return home.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/royal-caribbean-cruise-passengers-n-j-screened-coronavirus-4-taken-n1132266

Edited by ziggyuk

23 minutes ago, Liviucostin said:

TRAVEL ADVICE UPDATE: 7 February 2020

To protect the health and safety of our guests and crew onboard, MSC Cruises has taken a series of precautionary actions since 24 January across its fleet with respect to the novel coronavirus that originated in China. While there are no cases of coronavirus on board any of MSC Cruises’ ships these measures are additional steps to secure the health and well-being of all guests and crew.

Guests who are embarking on a cruise are requested to take the following into account:

• Anyone who has travelled to, from or through Chinese mainland, Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan in the past 30 days, or visited or transited via airports, will be denied access to the ship. The same rules apply to such passengers’ travel companions (parent, spouse, child, siblings, or a companion who shares a cabin);

• Passengers with signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥38 C°/100.4 F°) or feverishness, chills, cough or difficulty breathing will be denied embarkation. The same rules apply to their travel companions;

• Anyone who, within 14 days before embarkation, has had close contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to novel coronavirus, will be denied boarding;

• MSC Cruises will continue to conduct preboarding screening necessary to effectuate these preventative measures;

• Passengers with a Chinese passport who have not travelled from or through Chinese mainland, Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan, in the past 30 days, and who are in good health, can access the ship. However, authorities in certain countries are temporarily not allowing holders of a Chinese passport to travel into their territories. At the date of publishing, holders of Chinese passports are not allowed to travel into: Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysian ports and Thailand. Please note this list may change based on future government regulations;

Guests who are restricted by any of the above measures are requested to contact their travel agent or the MSC Cruises contact centre number at the top of this page.

Since the outbreak of the coronavirus in China, MSC Cruises has been closely monitoring the public health and safety situation in each of the regions its ships sail. The company has been consulting with international and local health authorities to follow their advice and recommendations.

This is good news. Beyond China, they have now also added restrictions to HK, Taiwan and Macau.

I have the impression msc is leading the restrictions.

"Over the last two days we have actually seen the first of two consecutive declines in the number of new cases, which is nice, but whether that is sustainable or not we will only know in about a week or so."

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/07/coronavirus-live-updates-in-china-wuhan-coronavirus-outbreak-cruise-ship-doctor-japan

We have 2 upcoming cruises shortly with MSC. Todays report of the death of the 35 year old Dr who spearheaded the public release of information was very disturbing. If it can kill a 35 year old, it will devastate 60+ year olds.

I think we are very close to the point where they will have to shut down the cruise industry for a couple months. It will only take one confirmed case in the Carib and they will have to. From a dollars and cents perspective, I think I read a 7 day cancellation will cost a cruise line maybe $3 million. How much will it cost them to have a ship in quarantine for a month? I actually hope they do cancel, we really are not looking forward to the cruises in the same way at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liviucostin said:

Passengers with a Chinese passport who have not travelled from or through Chinese mainland, Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan, in the past 30 days, and who are in good health, can access the ship

Nothing is ever 100% effective but I'm wondering how do cruises  verify that a person hasn't traveled in the last 30 days to these countries? I lived and worked in Asia for years and one thing I know is that many, many Hong Kong residents have dual citizenship to either the U.S. or Canada.  I was told that at the first sign of any issues they will board a plane to one of these countries.

I just got off a Carnival Cruise on Sunday and CCL didn't request that folks with a Chinese passport or travelers to/from China in the last "X " days identify themselves until the 4th day of the cruise.  I was conscious of people with signs of cold or coughing from any nationality, but wouldn't you know that the first person to stop and ask me a question was a Mandarin speaking guest.  I was wondering how did she know that I speak Mandarin---we converse in her limited English and me in limited Mandarin.

17 minutes ago, GrannyGear said:

We have 2 upcoming cruises shortly with MSC. Todays report of the death of the 35 year old Dr who spearheaded the public release of information was very disturbing. If it can kill a 35 year old, it will devastate 60+ year olds.

I think we are very close to the point where they will have to shut down the cruise industry for a couple months. It will only take one confirmed case in the Carib and they will have to. From a dollars and cents perspective, I think I read a 7 day cancellation will cost a cruise line maybe $3 million. How much will it cost them to have a ship in quarantine for a month? I actually hope they do cancel, we really are not looking forward to the cruises in the same way at all.

My spouse shares your concerns and probably plenty others who just won't state it.

Edited by ebonybee
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ebonybee said:

My spouse shares your concerns and probably plenty others who just won't state it.

When you think about it, today's Anthem of the Seas situation , if coronivirus tests positive, is the first carib bound cruise ship to be impacted. I can't think of a worse place to be in the middle of a public health outbreak, other than China currently, than on a cruise ship or airplane. They are going to have to start cancelling cruises past the geography of China. I will be disappointed about our trip, but alive.

55 minutes ago, renatops said:

Sorry, Renatops somehow I can't get that quote to go away :(.

Currently; Anthem is running the ship as normal with just a delay in debarkation and embarkation. 4 Chinese people have been taken to New Jersey hospital where they can be placed in a negative pressure chamber. 23 have been placed on a plane back to China. The mayor of Bayonne (I think it was mayor), posted that the CDC is not concerned with Anthem and considers it below low risk. 

The UK has just asked people who have traveled to Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, and Macau to self quarantine for 14 days.  I would hope that MSC (and all cruise ships) will extend their list of people not allowed to board to include all of the above also. Adding Singapore was a big deal imo.

Westerdam (and 7 other ships) are literally homeless in Asian waters. No one knows what is going to happen in terms of debarkation. No country wants them. Japan has been good with refueling and providing supplies for Diamond Princess. This is uncharted territory for the cruise industry.

Today's stats:

image.thumb.png.d6fcb46842adf132baf9b9fb359e29f2.png

2 minutes ago, GrannyGear said:

When you think about it, today's Anthem of the Seas situation , if coronivirus tests positive, is the first carib bound cruise ship to be impacted. I can't think of a worse place to be in the middle of a public health outbreak, other than China currently, than on a cruise ship or airplane. They are going to have to start cancelling cruises past the geography of China. I will be disappointed about our trip, but alive.

Yes this will certain impact airline travel also.  I actually have greater concerns about airline travel although nobody has established how the virus is spread.