Coronavirus

emmas gran

1 hour ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

I don't understand why no food and alcohol allowed? 

He stated the reason for food in the video. He has many videos with lots of live information and will be appearing on the news shortly. 

40 minutes ago, Beardface said:

It sounds like they suspect some of the food itself is contaminated, and is what is spreading the virus on the ship, but don't yet know which food is the culprit.

This ^

Regarding alcohol, various report have said it is difficult to get through on the phone to order room service and staffing to service room service for the entire ship must be exhausting. I don't believe the limit on alcohol has anything to do with drink packages expiring and it's much more to do with staffing and general mental alertness. 

1 hour ago, capitalbarry said:

MSC CRUISES TAKES ADDITIONAL PRECAUTIONARY PUBLIC HEALTH MEASURES ON ALL SHIPS GLOBALLY

2/4/2020

MSC is taking these precautionary steps regarding the Coronavirus: 

• Guests who have traveled from mainland China or visited mainland China in the past 30 days will be denied boarding;
  • Guests from all nationalities are required to fill out a pre-embarkation questionnaire;
  • Mandatory non-touch thermal scans conducted for all guests and crew prior to embarkation for every cruise;
  • Anyone with signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥38 C°/100.4 F°) or feverishness, chills, cough or difficulty breathing will be denied boarding;
  • Elevated deep-sanitation on every ship in MSC's fleet;
  • While sailing, guests who may have fever symptoms will be isolated to their stateroom, including guests staying in the same stateroom.

Lots of people have coughs this time of year.  It will be interesting to see how many get denied boarding.

3 hours ago, CruisinCrow said:

Lots of people have coughs this time of year.  It will be interesting to see how many get denied boarding.

Hi

No kidding. Just off the Armonia. It was cough, cough, cough, sneeze, sneeze, sneeze, everywhere you went and many weren't even bothering to cover their mouth. To be fair, it was the same at the airport, but now at least you are seeing a number of people wearing masks. Whether it's to protect themself or to protect others, at least they are not coughing in my face.

What I couldn't understand was during the muster drill on board watching the people who thought it was fun to blow the whistle attached to the life jacket. If it was only children, maybe their parents couldn't get to them in time, but there were enough adults doing the same. You just have to wonder if they just leave their brains at home when they go on a vacation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

No kidding. Just off the Armonia. It was cough, cough, cough, sneeze, sneeze, sneeze, everywhere you went and many weren't even bothering to cover their mouth. To be fair, it was the same at the airport, but now at least you are seeing a number of people wearing masks. Whether it's to protect themself or to protect others, at least they are not coughing in my face.

What I couldn't understand was during the muster drill on board watching the people who thought it was fun to blow the whistle attached to the life jacket. If it was only children, maybe their parents couldn't get to them in time, but there were enough adults doing the same. You just have to wonder if they just leave their brains at home when they go on a vacation.

Hi Nic,

wondering if you could provide more details on what, if anything, has changed in the msc ship routine (if more hand sanitization, if people serving you at buffet, etc.). 

Thanks.

Princess put out a press release that after the ship had been out to sea to replenish drinking water it would go alongside in the port so that it can be restocked, that is the likely issue with food shortages.

World Dream from Dream cruises has been Quarantined in Hong Kong.

3 minutes ago, sidari said:

Princess put out a press release that after the ship had been out to sea to replenish drinking water it would go alongside in the port so that it can be restocked, that is the likely issue with food shortages.

World Dream from Dream cruises has been Quarantined in Hong Kong.

And the World Dream ship has 30 crew members sick. Waiting on test results. It's a smaller ship than Diamond Princess, but still nearly 2000 passengers.

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

And the World Dream ship has 30 crew members sick. Waiting on test results. It's a smaller ship than Diamond Princess, but still nearly 2000 passengers.

You have to wonder when cruise lines will pull their ships from the area, Genting of course are based there.

9 minutes ago, renatops said:

Hi Nic,

wondering if you could provide more details on what, if anything, has changed in the msc ship routine (if more hand sanitization, if people serving you at buffet, etc.). 

Thanks.

Hi

This was my first MSC cruise. So I don't know what was in place before. I didn't see anything special being done. The hand sanitizers were in place at all the food venues, but nobody was stressing their use (as I have seen at times on other cruise lines). You served yourself at the buffets. The only time there was a required use of the hand sanitizers was on returning to the ship from shore. They had personnel with a spray bottle spraying everyone's hands. 

By the way. I had a really good time on the Armonia, even though when asked on these threads nobody seemed to say much that was very positive

5 minutes ago, sidari said:

You have to wonder when cruise lines will pull their ships from the area, Genting of course are based there.

The problem, as I see it, is that where are they going to go? Some islands in the south pacific have put a stop on cruise ships. I'd hate to take a Tahiti cruise and not be able to stop in bora bora,

3 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

This was my first MSC cruise. So I don't know what was in place before. I didn't see anything special being done. The hand sanitizers were in place at all the food venues, but nobody was stressing their use (as I have seen at times on other cruise lines). You served yourself at the buffets. The only time there was a required use of the hand sanitizers was on returning to the ship from shore. They had personnel with a spray bottle spraying everyone's hands. 

By the way. I had a really good time on the Armonia, even though when asked on these threads nobody seemed to say much that was very positive

Thanks for the details.

In my mind the combination of not enforcing hand sanitizing and people serving themselves is a big concern. 

Last year I went on a RC cruise and at that time they would have a person next to the hand sanitizer post just suggesting/reminding people to spray their hands, as they entered the buffet. This should be the minimum with msc.

Glad to know you still able to enjoy it.

Cheers.

• Like 1

David Abel just did another live update from diamond princess. 10 more people have been removed from ship presumably with the virus. Princess is allowing those in an inside and outside brief access to open decks for fresh air. No word on extending the quarantine.  This is brand new territory for everyone.

19 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

David Abel just did another live update from diamond princess. 10 more people have been removed from ship presumably with the virus. Princess is allowing those in an inside and outside brief access to open decks for fresh air. No word on extending the quarantine.  This is brand new territory for everyone.

Whoa!  You mean there are 20 people with the virus from that ship now?  It must be a lot more contagious than they've been saying.

23 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

Whoa!  You mean there are 20 people with the virus from that ship now?  It must be a lot more contagious than they've been saying.

Yes, 20 are confirmed with the virus and have been removed from Diamond Princess. Two of those from USA.

His video blogs are really interesting. A very level headed man who is remarkably positive given this situation. As he states, "We are no longer on cruise".  There obviously no cabin service for cleanliness. No new towels. No cleaning supplies as of yet. Being delivered food, not sure there is a menu. 

Diamond princess sailed out to see to empty the bilge and restock water supplies (desalination). They took orders for medications and are having them delivered to the ship. No one knows how long this quarantine will last, but I suspect it will be longer than 14 days. Medication was an urgent need for some.

David is in a mini suite and has a balcony where he can get fresh air. It is s bright sunny day today (although he reports very cold). Another blogger said she is in an inside cabin with two fully grown grandsons. One chair.  bunk beds. No light. No fresh air. 

I'm very interested in how Princess is going to manage the inside/ocean view cruisers their time on deck. They will be provided masks, and I am sure are eager to leave the inside cabins and see some daylight, fill their lungs with fresh air. Wondering what I would do in the situation.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article239983068.html

Edited by BermudaBound2014

17 hours ago, renatops said:

Thanks for the details.

In my mind the combination of not enforcing hand sanitizing and people serving themselves is a big concern. 

Last year I went on a RC cruise and at that time they would have a person next to the hand sanitizer post just suggesting/reminding people to spray their hands, as they entered the buffet. This should be the minimum with msc.

Cheers.

I know it always makes people feel safer when people keep using the hand sanitizer. The truth is it doesn’t kill the coronavirus, Noro virus or any other viruses. Hand sanitizers are antibacterials. I heard that cruises no longer stress the using of them because it gives people a false sense of protection. Yes, there are sanitizers that kill viruses, but they contain bleach. If used wrong and some gets on clothing, it will stain. Also continued use of this sanitizer, your hands will become very dry, even cracking. Let’s just wash hands good. 

13 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Yes, 20 are confirmed with the virus and have been removed from Diamond Princess. Two of those from USA.

His video blogs are really interesting. A very level headed man who is remarkably positive given this situation. As he states, "We are no longer on cruise".  There obviously no cabin service for cleanliness. No new towels. No cleaning supplies as of yet. Being delivered food, not sure there is a menu. 

Diamond princess sailed out to see to empty the bilge and restock water supplies (desalination). They took orders for medications and are having them delivered to the ship. No one knows how long this quarantine will last, but I suspect it will be longer than 14 days. Medication was an urgent need for some.

David is in a mini suite and has a balcony where he can get fresh air. It is s bright sunny day today (although he reports very cold). Another blogger said she is in an inside cabin with two fully grown grandsons. One chair.  bunk beds. No light. No fresh air. 

I'm very interested in how Princess is going to manage the inside/ocean view cruisers their time on deck. They will be provided masks, and I am sure are eager to leave the inside cabins and see some daylight, fill their lungs with fresh air. Wondering what I would do in the situation.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article239983068.html

I don't understand why they haven't taken everyone off the ship to an uninfected location to quarantine.  The ship is obviously infected and more and more people will start getting sick.  This ship quarantine could go on indefinitely.  They shouldn't all be stuck somewhere without access to reasonable food, medications, basic amenities like towels.   I can only guess that Japan doesn't want to take them in.

39 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

Once again, they think the food was contaminated.  I would not make conclusions that this was passed along from passenger to passenger, when its likely a series of people ingested food from the same contaminated source.

2 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Once again, they think the food was contaminated.  I would not make conclusions that this was passed along from passenger to passenger, when its likely a series of people ingested food from the same contaminated source.

So many unknowns. ☹️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Have they found any evidence that the problem is with the food source or it is just speculation?  Even if it is the food, it seems like getting the passengers away from the infected source is the thing to do.

Mr Abel just answered my question about how princess will allow those in inside cabins fresh air.

Inside passengers are being allowed to walk on the deck for 1.5 hours but must stay 1 meter apart and are being supervised by the quarantine offers. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

42 minutes ago, Beardface said:

As per today there is no scientific evidence

that Coronavirus is spread by food.

Coronavirus is a new virus and scientists are

still assessing how it spreads from person

to person. Similar viruses tend to spread via

cough and sneeze droplets.

• Like 1

I had a great time even tho weather wasn’t 100%.  Also noticed only a cpl officers manning buffet sanitizers a cpl times.  Someone might want to take protective gloves to the buffet to make a point!  I didn’t think of that til I got home 

19 hours ago, renatops said:

Thanks for the details.

Cheers.