HAL cutbacks affect charter (Blues Cruise) and not in a good way

MogeyMan

The pax on this charter are partiers, AKA, drinkers. Only 1 bar on the aft deck (where the music is) was making Bloody Marys (they do set up a second bar for simple drinks but no speciality drinks like the drink of the day) and the bloodies were pretty marginal, I had one served in a pilsner glass! And no veggies save one lonesome olive. There were, each afternoon when the bands are playing on the aft deck, a total of 2 servers. Simply not enough for this particular crowd, and they were so overwhelmed!! The poor barkeep trying to make Bloodies was keeping up best he could, but the servers were having to go in to the pool bar. 

And typically on this cruise, the Crow's Nest stays open into the wee hours for musicians to "jam" and people to dance, but no more - locked down tight at 10:30. HAL claimed not enough staff. There were a lot of complaints, and although the Blues Cruise has been very loyal to HAL, I can't help but wonder...............

This was one of the few things I was critical of this last cruise. I hate having to hunt down a server for alcoholic beverages but there are so few servers. The Sea View Bar seemed totally overwhelmed on sea days. The Lido Bar wasn't as bad. First rule of selling, make it easy for your customers to give you their money. 

• Like 1

That's a real shame for all concerned, including HAL upper management. 
It's not as if the charter was a surprise, as the ship was chartered maybe a year in advance? HAL should have known how many people were coming, and the nature of how they spent their days---and nights! It's not like this was HAL's first time with this group. 

HAL should be doing better if they want to get charters. 

Pretty sad ! The recent efforts to make money selling drinks is followed up by the cost cutting of a lack of service.

How many times on my last 17 day cruise did the Happy Hour Staff Show up at 4 to a gang of 40 that had been hovering for 20 minutes. And usually 3 management type guys standing around managing when they need waiters.

4 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Sorry that there were so many cutbacks on your chartered cruise.

This could force the Blues Cruise people to seek out another cruise line which will make money on you people since you pay a high price for cabins and all the perks that go with that kind of a cruise.  HAL's Lose!!

Perhaps you are being a bit optimistic.  Cut backs seem to be happening across the fleet.  Staffing does not change on a Charter vs normal cruise.  We have been to many HAL Happy Hours where passengers must wait a long time for service or drinks.  It sounds like what is different on the Blues Cruise is that many of the passengers actually stay awake after 9:30 and have the audacity to expect service.

Hank

11 hours ago, MogeyMan said:

The pax on this charter are partiers, AKA, drinkers. Only 1 bar on the aft deck (where the music is) was making Bloody Marys (they do set up a second bar for simple drinks but no speciality drinks like the drink of the day) and the bloodies were pretty marginal, I had one served in a pilsner glass! And no veggies save one lonesome olive. There were, each afternoon when the bands are playing on the aft deck, a total of 2 servers. Simply not enough for this particular crowd, and they were so overwhelmed!! The poor barkeep trying to make Bloodies was keeping up best he could, but the servers were having to go in to the pool bar. 

And typically on this cruise, the Crow's Nest stays open into the wee hours for musicians to "jam" and people to dance, but no more - locked down tight at 10:30. HAL claimed not enough staff. There were a lot of complaints, and although the Blues Cruise has been very loyal to HAL, I can't help but wonder...............

Wow!  I know that this cruise usually sells out in one day.  ONE DAY.  I've always wanted to go on one of the LRBC cruises but have never been able to afford the premium.  Several friends perform on this cruise and the stories of music nearly 24/7 from bow to stern are indeed legendary!  The very least HAL could do for you guys is staff the ship.  HAL knows who is boarding, that it's going to be a full ship, and how this group of happy people like to party.  I'm truly disappointed that HAL majorly failed this loyal following of people. 

Edited by Taters