Behind the Fun Tour

RollTide73

Hi-
Has anyone done the Behind the Fun Tour lately? I will be on the Valor in April and it sounds like it would be interesting.  
Any thoughts?  Worth the price? I know it is each persons individual opinion but I'd appreciate some feedback before paying $95 (I think that is the cost). 

We did it on our Carnival Magic cruise this year.  It was very interesting.  We got to see the galley, the engine control room (not the engines), the crew common area, the bridge, and a few other areas.   We got a professional photo of the group with the captain, a ball cap, a bag, a rubber bracelet, and a lanyard.  After the tour was done we got mimosas and orange juice.  All of this was included in the price.

My only small gripe was that it took almost 4 hours and my back was aching after so much time walking on concrete.  Eat breakfast before you go!

I'm not sure if I would do it again, but I'm definitely glad that I got to do it.  Totally worth it.  I would recommend it at least once.

We did the tour on the Conquest.  It was very interesting, the highlights were what the last poster noted.   It's something I would definitely do once but not something I would do again for the money and time involved (half day).   If you do want to do it, book it the first day on the ship, it sells out fast!

We did it on the Breeze last year and I agree with everyone that it was worth doing once, but I don't know that I would repeat due to the length/repetition of information. Carnival as a line seems to have the lowest price for a behind the scenes tour and they included a lot of extras (drawstring backpack, baseball hat, lanyard, bracelet, drink and snacks at the end) that I don't believe other lines include. There is a lot of walking and standing for long periods with no option to sit, steep stairs, etc. if anyone in your group has mobility issues. If you are interested in the operations of a ship, I would definitely recommend it!

I can't remember exact time frames, but on the Magic last September, we boarded got some food, got our luggage to the room, watched sail away and then headed to book this excursion. It was already sold out, I couldn't believe how fast it happened. I wondered if one large party booked it or if it always goes that fast. I had generally heard first day or two, but that was first hour or two.

This is a really interesting and you have to be ready to climb stairs and walk I think that is why you

have to book it on board. Go as soon as you get on board as it does sell out very quick on about 15-17

go on it. I went on Breeze last year and really enjoyed it.

6 hours ago, LoungingMcCoy said:

We did it on our Carnival Magic cruise this year.  It was very interesting.  We got to see the galley, the engine control room (not the engines), the crew common area, the bridge, and a few other areas.   We got a professional photo of the group with the captain, a ball cap, a bag, a rubber bracelet, and a lanyard.  After the tour was done we got mimosas and orange juice.  All of this was included in the price.

My only small gripe was that it took almost 4 hours and my back was aching after so much time walking on concrete.  Eat breakfast before you go!

I'm not sure if I would do it again, but I'm definitely glad that I got to do it.  Totally worth it.  I would recommend it at least once.

We did it twice, once on Conquest in 2010 and again on Horizon in 2018. Our thought was that enough had changed in ship design over the years that it would be worth doing again, and it was. Especially the engine control room - so much had changed. BTW, the engine control room is, in my view, better than the engine room. The engines themselves are impressive only in their size, but the engine control room shows you not only engine operation but stabilizers, fire control, climate control, etc. In full disclosure, I'm the mom of a trained marine engineer who is slated later this year to become chief engineer on a Navy vessel.😊

This certainly wasn't a tour I'd do every time I sailed, but I loved it both times.

We tried to sign up the second we stepped on the ship (Horizon) last week and it was already sold out. She said there were also 8 people ahead of me if I wanted to get on the list in hopes of people cancelling. She also told me unless you're FTTF or a platinum member (on the ship earlier than most) that you're almost always usually gonna be too late to sign up. 

7 hours ago, 216Cruiser said:

We tried to sign up the second we stepped on the ship (Horizon) last week and it was already sold out. She said there were also 8 people ahead of me if I wanted to get on the list in hopes of people cancelling. She also told me unless you're FTTF or a platinum member (on the ship earlier than most) that you're almost always usually gonna be too late to sign up. 

Good to know.  I do have FTTF.  

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I've done it a few times on a few ships. Although you visit mostly the same places, it will vary even on the same ship  a month between tours.

Also the people you meet vary too, as well as the things you learn. It seems you speak to whomever may not be busy in the areas you visit. 

Definitely worth seeing, and probably seeing again, and maybe a 3rd time. If you dont like walking or climbing stairs then dont go.