Chef's Table: Notifying Someone About a Non (Red) Meat Eater

DPara

Hi All --

We have signed up for the Chef’s Table on our upcoming cruise aboard the Carnival Dream..  Who do I notify that one of the members of our party does not eat red meat?  Last time I sent an email to eventplanning@carnival.com but this time around I'm just getting a automated reply.  Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, DPara said:

Hi All --

We have signed up for the Chef’s Table on our upcoming cruise aboard the Carnival Dream..  Who do I notify that one of the members of our party does not eat red meat?  Last time I sent an email to eventplanning@carnival.com but this time around I'm just getting a automated reply.  Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Chef's table is amazing. I sat next to a vegetarian couple and their food looked amazing too. When I notified eventplanning@carnival.com about my food allergies, all I got was an automated reply but they accommodated my food allergies without any issue. Enjoy!

• Like 1

They will ask you about your concerns on board when they confirm your reservation.  They will again clarify with you these concerns the evening of the event.  The food is made that evening, so they can make adjustments.  And I have to believe they have nearly seen it all!

As for aversions to certain foods - I'd recommend you taking advice we all give our kids...try it before you deem it unlikable.  The presentation and preparation of these foods is amazing and often done in a way that challenges your preconceived notions about certain ingredients.  It's so well done, you can easily be surprised and pleased.  Health concerns are one thing, but ingredient averse...it never hurts to try and broaden your palette - it worked on me...

• Like 4

On 2/18/2020 at 6:53 PM, farler05 said:

I've wondered about this. Never booked because I don't eat seafood or mushrooms. I thought is be SOL.

I got off the Inspiration last Friday, attended the Chef’s dinner and one person was allergic to mushrooms, which Carnival confirmed with her before the meal

• Like 2

On 2/19/2020 at 11:07 AM, olivertexas said:

They will ask you about your concerns on board when they confirm your reservation.  They will again clarify with you these concerns the evening of the event.  The food is made that evening, so they can make adjustments.  And I have to believe they have nearly seen it all!

As for aversions to certain foods - I'd recommend you taking advice we all give our kids...try it before you deem it unlikable.  The presentation and preparation of these foods is amazing and often done in a way that challenges your preconceived notions about certain ingredients.  It's so well done, you can easily be surprised and pleased.  Health concerns are one thing, but ingredient averse...it never hurts to try and broaden your palette - it worked on me...

I am honestly willing to try just about anything (I draw the line at organ meats).  And have - oysters, calamari, fish in every preparation I can think of, lobster, shrimp, conch.  People always tell me I've never had a particular fish or never had it prepared this way, just try it.  And I do, with a relatively open mind.  And I have yet to find any that I like.  Some milder fish I believe I could power through.  I used to think I liked crab legs then realized it was the butter.  LOL  I don't hate them but I'm not going to order them.  But I don't want to spend the money on the Chef's Table & take a gamble that I might like it.  For the price, I'll take bites of my husband's food.  🙂  I may take a chance on it on our cruise in a few weeks!

On 2/22/2020 at 10:12 AM, farler05 said:

I am honestly willing to try just about anything (I draw the line at organ meats).  And have - oysters, calamari, fish in every preparation I can think of, lobster, shrimp, conch.  People always tell me I've never had a particular fish or never had it prepared this way, just try it.  And I do, with a relatively open mind.  And I have yet to find any that I like.  Some milder fish I believe I could power through.  I used to think I liked crab legs then realized it was the butter.  LOL  I don't hate them but I'm not going to order them.  But I don't want to spend the money on the Chef's Table & take a gamble that I might like it.  For the price, I'll take bites of my husband's food.  🙂  I may take a chance on it on our cruise in a few weeks!

I am a picky eater and don't eat organ meats and a whole lot of other thing...in addition to numerous food allergies. That said, I tried the ox tongue in 2019 and ordered it again in 2020. I liked the rabbit although the 2020 preparation isn't as nice as it was in 2018 or 2019. I did Chef's Table in 2019. I tried everything: calf liver pate ( I was scared but the preparation tasted like Nutella), pork belly, venison, quail, etc. I was not disappointed and was shocked at how amazing it tasted. Try it all. Erase that line. You may be wildly surprised.

Edited by annual cruiser 1968
add info

On 2/22/2020 at 9:12 AM, farler05 said:

But I don't want to spend the money on the Chef's Table & take a gamble that I might like it.  For the price, I'll take bites of my husband's food.  🙂  I may take a chance on it on our cruise in a few weeks!

I can respect this line of thinking.  However, the fish on the Chef's Menu is only a fraction of the food on the menu (and I am not generally a fish person - but the Sea Bass was amazing!).  Two options there - skip it and wait for the next round - or speak with the chef and they may be able to make a substitute.  From my perspective, if there had been a round that I just couldn't get myself to try, I'd have been ok simply skipping and not feel I lost on my money.  It's a lot of food - and you walk out STUFFED!

On 2/22/2020 at 9:12 AM, farler05 said:

. . .  But I don't want to spend the money on the Chef's Table & take a gamble that I might like it.  For the price, I'll take bites of my husband's food.  🙂  I may take a chance on it on our cruise in a few weeks!

It seems most reasonable for you to skip it.  You can get food to your liking in several venues on the ship, most of them included in the fare.

If you didn't enjoy going in the ocean would you spend money on a snorkeling or scuba diving excursion?

The Chef's Table isn't for everyone.  Thus the limited number of spaces and the high price.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 4:05 PM, annual cruiser 1968 said:

I am a picky eater and don't eat organ meats and a whole lot of other thing...in addition to numerous food allergies. That said, I tried the ox tongue in 2019 and ordered it again in 2020. I liked the rabbit although the 2020 preparation isn't as nice as it was in 2018 or 2019. I did Chef's Table in 2019. I tried everything: calf liver pate ( I was scared but the preparation tasted like Nutella), pork belly, venison, quail, etc. I was not disappointed and was shocked at how amazing it tasted. Try it all. Erase that line. You may be wildly surprised.

I'm confused.  Isn't liver one of the organ meats?

On 2/18/2020 at 2:34 PM, DPara said:

Hi All --

I did the Chef's Table, and a young man bought his girlfriend who was allergic to everything.  She just wrinkled her nose and told the chef she was allergic to everything, and for the rest of the Chef's Table, her meal was adapted to her non-tastes.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:07 AM, olivertexas said:

Yep that's how they did it with us - when they asked if there was anything I don't eat I jokingly said "Broccoli" (I mean, I don't like it but I can eat it) and sure enough, there was a course that had a filling that normally contained broccoli but the chef made mine with something else.  It was delicious.  I tried a bit of my wife's regular preparation and it was delicious too.

Chef's table is pretty amazing.

• Like 1