Silversea not honouring refunds for major itinerary changes

WFN

Anyone having problems with Silversea?

Silver Muse due to leave Singapore 17/4 has changed schedule and no longer visiting China or Hong Kong. Completely understand this for obvious reasons. However Manila is certainly not China or indeed Hong Kong!

SS consider this ‘minor change’, which includes one extra day at sea. 

So, am happy to accept a full credit, which was on offer. Aware other passengers have this.  Now being offered a partial credit of cruise cost, minus airfares and hotel.  

Would love to know if anyone out there is experiencing the same unjust actions from SS. 

I'm not following what your problem is with being only offered a partial refund of your cruise cost since you're wishing to cancel your voyage and you're within 60-day cancellation time period?

SS makes it pretty clear in the Terms & Conditions that they reserve the right to cancel, alter, advance, postpone or substitute any scheduled sailing or itinerary, or substitute or cancel scheduled ports of call, which, in its sole judgment and discretion, is justified for any reason, and to do so without liability for any loss whatsoever to guests as a result of said changes. 

So, why do you believe you are entitled to a full credit?

Because the itinerary has been changed. As said, not in a minor way. One extra day at sea and visit to Manila. Not what we purchased. Not our fault and no interest in visiting Philippines. So the cruise credit should stand.  

4 hours ago, WFN said:

Because the itinerary has been changed. As said, not in a minor way. One extra day at sea and visit to Manila. Not what we purchased. Not our fault and no interest in visiting Philippines. So the cruise credit should stand.  

According to the T’s & C’s, it doesn’t matter what you purchased or whether you have no interest in any of the changes the cruise line makes.  You’re still bound to those T’s & C’s.  So, at this point, SS is only required to return 50% of your cruise fare.  

• Like 3

The case is far too onerous to explain here.  Just asking if anyone else has issues. It’s not that simple as an offer of 100% credit was made.  
Mute point for this forum.  
Move on SS.  
Thanks 

• Haha 1

Sorry I don't follow. 

What is the "mute" point?

That people aren't listening or can't hear your issues?

There are lots of people who possibly could make some suggestions of assistance.

Perhaps we don't have enough of the details especially if the case is onerous.

• Like 1

A lot of trusting souls book through a ta and would have no idea what the fine print says.

That's no excuse of course , but one can have some sympathy for both the passengers and the cruise lines.

We were on Siverspirit from 1st to 12th feb that only went to Saigon , we are now in dispute with Silversea as they will not pay for our flights home .

On docking at Bangkok we still had no return flight and were advised to book our own , we did this and now Silversea will only pay $1000 each towards flights and we paid £3380 , they are saying that all customers that booked their own flights were advised of $1000 limit , at no point were we told this by Captain , reception staff or customer service manager ...

Is anyone else having any problems ?
Also I’m in self isolation at home as showing some symptoms of Corona virus , I was swabbed yesterday at Corona virus pod at local hospital and now have to wait 14 days or until results show negative .

Although we had a lovely cruise I really feel it should never have set sail , we asked to cancel on day before but were advised we would lose all our money .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, sueinman said:

We were on Siverspirit from 1st to 12th feb that only went to Saigon , we are now in dispute with Silversea as they will not pay for our flights home . On docking at Bangkok we still had no return flight and were advised to book our own , we did this and now Silversea will only pay $1000 each towards flights and we paid £3380 , they are saying that all customers that booked their own flights were advised of $1000 limit...

Uh-oh... that’s not right at all based on what many of us have read.  

Sueinman, if you are a member of the Silversea Passengers Facebook group, head over there and post your concerns and tag Barbara Muckerman.  Ms. Muckerman is the CMO of the company and I have seen her engaging with several passengers.  I’d be sick to think I had paid $4,000 USD, but am only being reimbursed $1,000 by SS, especially when they instructed you to book your own and that you’re be reimbursed.

Edited by Stumblefoot

Thank you so much for your advice , I really wish I had got other passengers contact details .

It was my companions 10th Silversea cruise but my 1st and have booked the same cruise later in year but so disappointed they will not pay full cost of flights .

Hopefully will meet you on a future cruise ...

thanks again 

Sue 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sueinman said:

On docking at Bangkok we still had no return flight and were advised to book our own , we did this and now Silversea will only pay $1000 each towards flights and we paid £3380 , they are saying that all customers that booked their own flights were advised of $1000 limit , at no point were we told this by Captain , reception staff or customer service manager ...

This seems very strange.  No limits at all placed on the bookings?  One could book in First Class?  Any routing one desired?  Was there no written notice setting forth the instructions and terms?  

Had I been in this situation, I would not have relied on a mere oral instruction on a matter like this and I would have requested some written statement committing SS to reimburse and the amount of reimbursement.

Does anyone know if Silversea are reimbursing the flight costs for the original itinerary? We booked with a travel agent and they packaged the flights, pre-cruise hotel & cruise. We've been told that SS will refund the cruise cost but cannot get an answer on the flights (and pre-cruise accommodation). We would never have gone all that was to visit one port (which is all we got) and have lost forever the annual leave we used. Our whole holiday was ruined and if SS won't reimburse the entire cost then I think that is us and cruising finished.

One thing to note is that the captain on Silver Spirit specifically said that the reason we were refused entry to ports was that 12 passengers had joined the voyage after having visited China. Given that they told us we weren't going to Hong Kong even before we got on the ship, it rather begs the question as to why they accepted passengers from the affected area.

SS overall did not acquit themselves well - arrangements for getting people home were shambolic.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marand62 said:

Does anyone know if Silversea are reimbursing the flight costs for the original itinerary? We booked with a travel agent and they packaged the flights, pre-cruise hotel & cruise. We've been told that SS will refund the cruise cost but cannot get an answer on the flights (and pre-cruise accommodation). We would never have gone all that was to visit one port (which is all we got) and have lost forever the annual leave we used. Our whole holiday was ruined and if SS won't reimburse the entire cost then I think that is us and cruising finished.

One thing to note is that the captain on Silver Spirit specifically said that the reason we were refused entry to ports was that 12 passengers had joined the voyage after having visited China. Given that they told us we weren't going to Hong Kong even before we got on the ship, it rather begs the question as to why they accepted passengers from the affected area.

SS overall did not acquit themselves well - arrangements for getting people home were shambolic.

I am still in self isolation and my symptoms have not got worse but I haven’t had all clear from Public Health England .

We are still waiting for refund of the cost of our flight home and the the refund of the cost of the cruise , we had to book our own flights as SS did book them and we were told we had to leave ship as it was sailing to Manila .

We asked to cancel on Friday evening , when we were informed of new itinerary but were told we would lose all our money , as an ex nurse I could see what was going to happen and didn’t want to end up in quarantine .At least we got home but I really am not happy in isolation for 14 days, I have wasted my annual leave and can not return to work , I think SS have not shown good duty of care to their customers and am shocked that they are still cruising around Singapore ... 

Observer - I think you are underestimating the difficulties in getting flights when 600 passengers are being booked at the last minute. All flights booked close to departure will be expensive. Those left high & dry by SS and having to book their own flights because SS failed to do will have suffered the highest prices as all the cheaper fare buckets will have gone! I woould be astonished if anyone at that point could ahve got even an economy flight back to the UK for $1000.

You have been treated so badly but I hope you get the all clear healthwise.  We could see the flight booking was a shambles and aftr waiting two days (and long past the time the captain said everything would have been sorted outgot our travel agent to arrange flights. Despite several conversations with reception about getting our travel agent to do what SS seemed under-resourced to do, no-one mentioned a maximum flight cost. What is worse, that restriction seems only to have applied to those who didn't book air travel with SS. We heard of people who had flown out in economy and went home business class which will certainly have cost more than $1,000! Sadly I don't have the relevant passengers' name.

Frankly they should either have aborted the cruise before it started or at teh very least not allowed the 12 passengers who had come from/via China to board (who put everyone else at risk). Those passengers are the reason the Philippines and Taiwan refused us entry.

• Like 1

Sue - Forgot to mention but our travel agent has told us refunds of the cruise costs are being handled by the Miami office and will take approximately three weeks. We cannot get a straight answer on the flight costs which may simply mean that the travel agent has no idea what is happening. I'm not sure if this part is down to SS or the travel agent or no-one. I have reached out to Barbara Muckerman via Faceboolk message - let's see if I get any response.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marand62 said:

Observer - I think you are underestimating the difficulties in getting flights when 600 passengers are being booked at the last minute. All flights booked close to departure will be expensive. Those left high & dry by SS and having to book their own flights because SS failed to do will have suffered the highest prices as all the cheaper fare buckets will have gone! I woould be astonished if anyone at that point could ahve got even an economy flight back to the UK for $1000.

You speak of “even an economy flight.”  Do I correctly infer that you booked your ticket in a premium cabin (business or first)?  And that you did not purchase the Silversea air package?  And that you do not have insurance that would cover trip interruption?   And that you had no written statement from Silversea setting forth the reimbursement offered and simply assumed that Silversea would reimburse you for any airfare you found In any cabin?  Unfortunately, I think that may prove to have been a rash assumption.

In any case, not all 600 guests would be flying to the same destination.  Silversea guests come from Europe, North American, Australia/New Zealand, Asia, etc.  Moreover, BKK has lots of international air service, with multiple Gulf carriers for example offering one stop service to the UK.  And your trip was not at a prime travel time like the Christmas holidays.

I am sorry that you have faced this situation.  But.....

POSTSCRIPT:  After posting this, I wanted to check on fares BKK-LHR.  I checked for Tuesday (allowing for date line changes.). There were lots of flights available with one stop; all of these were in the USD $500-600 range.  There was also an EVA Air nonstop for $400.  I understand that things might have been different when you were booking.  But to judge from availability on Tuesday, $1000 might well have handsomely covered the cost of coach travel BKK-LHR.  

Edited by Observer
  • Like 1

Well, Observer, first of all more than 250 passengers on the ship were British & returning to the UK.  There were also plenty of Europeans at least some of whom were routing via London.  It doesn't matter what is showing for next week - at the time we were trying to get flights (using our travel agent) flights were in very short supply. SS re-booked their own passengers first, then claimed they would deal with the rest. We chased them endlessly over a couple of days and in the end they agreed our travel agent could sort out the flights because they finally admitted they didn't know when we would get our flight details. On the morning when everyone was going to have to disembark there were at least twenty people without flights trying to get reception to do something. You already know of one passenger for whom SS failed to find a flight. That is clearly unacceptable.  They were clearly under-resourced and not up to the job, at least in part because it was a weekend.

We did travel in premium class - but when SS said they were going to re-arrange the flights we were told this would be in the same class as the flights already booked (we had upgraded both out to Thailand and back from the intended disembarkation port, Hong Kong). SS took details of everyone's booking references and had a specific column on their spreadsheet for the class of travel. That would clearly have precluded a $1,000 limit for the majority of passengers on the ship (everyone we spoke to had flown out in a premium cabin, and had planned to fly back the same way). The people I mentioned as having been upgraded were those who had booked air with SS. I rather suspect that if there had been economy flights available, SS would have booked those rather than upgrading people to Business Class.

We have good travel insurance but it does not appear to cover the situation where the supplier doesn't supply the expected holiday unless the supplier has gone into administration. This is standard for UK insurance. Likewise, virtually all travel policies in the UK (and elsewhere as I understand it) do not cover events related to pandemics.  It is also not uncommon for UK travel agents to put packages together with flights which is easier if you ahve a preferred airline.

Frankly, I would have expected a so-called Six Star line to pull out all the stops. TBH they should have aborted the cruise from the outset and certainly stopped anyone who had been in China from boarding. It is fortuitous that, as far as I am aware, there have been no confirmed cases of Coronavirus among passengers or crew.

• Like 1

Dreadful behaviour by SS. They are using every trick in the book to avoid doing the right thing. How can they justify taking people’s money based on cancelled flights and hotels.  

Many of us are well seasoned travellers who have, on more than one occasion, had to cancel a flight and hotel. In such cases no charge for the hotel and an admin cost for a flight cancellation.  

So how can SS take your money in such extraordinary circumstances.  Quite a disgrace.  Moreover how can they insist upon taking people, loyal clients, into such, literally, dangerous waters.  As we know, other lines have stopped completely.  

SS should do the right thing and been seen to assist and reimburse clients.  After they have huge insurances against such dreadful circumstances.  

A truly awful time needs a truly sterling performance and SS have failed miserably.   

• Like 1