Upgrades forfeited if you decline one?

SetAnOpenCourse

I passed on 2 upgrades last fall on the Crown transatlantic.  Took the third upgrade...my travel agent told me to take the first one because I wouldn't get another...then insisted I take the second..I passed on that one also...I felt the first 2 offers were not really upgrades so I passed.   The final one was for an aft corner Caribe balcony...definitely worth it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trvlwrld said:

I passed on 2 upgrades last fall on the Crown transatlantic.  Took the third upgrade...my travel agent told me to take the first one because I wouldn't get another...then insisted I take the second..I passed on that one also...I felt the first 2 offers were not really upgrades so I passed.   The final one was for an aft corner Caribe balcony...definitely worth it!

When you say “worth it “, do you mean it was an upsell?  If so, maybe the policy is different than with the free upgrades.  If what you were given were free upgrades, then I wonder why they’d mislead us.

To be clear, mine is not an “offer” -  they simply notified me that they changed my cabin from the OV to a balcony cabin.  I have 48 hours to decline.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

For my most recent cruise on the Regal, we had booked a balcony. Got an offer for an upsell to a mini for $350 apiece …. too pricey for a 7 day cruise, IMO. So I didn't respond to it. A few days later we got another upsell to a mini for $200 each. That one we took, as an extra $30 per day wasn't bad..

About a week later, we got another upsell offer ….. a full suite for "only" $495 each, which I ignored. Two days later it was offered again for $300 each. I didn't bite on that one either. After all, we'd already spent $200 apiece for the mini we took, and we were not interested paying in another $300.

We were perfectly happy to be in an unplanned mini!!

We have declined three upgrades.  On, at least, two of them when I called to be reinstated in our original cabin, the telephone agent told me that our reservation would be marked "no upgrade."

A tad over a year ago, I received a "You've Been Upgraded" email regarding our April 2019 Alaska cruise.  As in the previous two cases, my wife and I agreed that our we preferred our originally-booked balcony cabin to the one to which Princess had moved us.  I called, and we were reinstated to our originally booked cabin.  Two weeks later, I received and upsell offer to a minisuite.  We just ignored that one.

So, in answer to the OP's question, if an upgrade is declined, Princess' policy is to mark the reservation "no upgrade."  However, as others have reported, upsell offers may follow.

One more variation.  In one of my conversations with a telephone agent, after being telling me that they would be marking our reservation "no upgrade," she continued that I could specify "meta no upgrade," meaning that I would accept an upgrade to a higher class of cabins.  That has never happened.  No big deal.  We make reservations for cabins we want.  We don't book a cabin we don't want in the hope that Princess might offer us a deal on a better one.

I guess I got lucky this time, we were booked for a standard Balcony on the Sky, and we received an email that we got upgraded to a deluxe Balcony, I wasn't crazy about the location of it but I liked the extra little room that a deluxe balcony gives. About 2 weeks later we received another email and were upgraded to a Mini, now I am thrilled, that has never happed to us, we are looking forward to our cruise 

• Like 1