credit cards

4 hours ago, bulldogcruisers said:

Are credit cards accepted on taxi and restaurants in Sydney?  Also what would be the best way to get to White Bay terminal from the Rocks?  We have a party of three with suitcases.

The best way to get to get to White Bay would be uber or a taxi or even a shuttle bus.

Just be prepared for the possibility of 0.5-1.5% transaction fee on credit card usage.  Probably negated by the fact tipping is not expected 🙂

...and more than offset by the generous exchange rate from USD to AUD currently 😉

Edited by Cootakid

I'll just add a little recommendation, you will be fine in 99.9% of instances, but make sure to ask the taxi drivers if their card machine is working before beginning your journey. I've had co-workers stung with this a few times and have had to quickly run to get cash on the completion of their ride, so even if it seems like a silly thing to ask I always make sure to do so.

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

From the Rocks to White Bay, another option is to get the ferry, it is a short walk down to Barangaroo (Kings wharf 2) from there and for $9 pp the ferry takes you across to white bay

Mic I believe the ferry service to White Bay from Darling Harbour no longer operates (at least not for all ships) support from the cruise lines was not there, I guess they preferred to gouge the pax with  their own  overpriced coaches.

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

Mic I believe the ferry service to White Bay from Darling Harbour no longer operates (at least not for all ships) support from the cruise lines was not there, I guess they preferred to gouge the pax with  their own  overpriced coaches.

It still runs. It's just it only runs in conjunction with Carnival cruises e.g. P&O, Princess as they have larger capacity and don't run free shuttles.

As it's connecting with port facilities, it's not up to any cruise line whether it runs or not.

We used the Captain Cook White Bay ferry service last December, it was for a P&O cruise.

The date wasn't on the website so I called up, apparently the website doesn't show all the dates.

I you don't want to pay too early and book online, there is a Captain Cook Booking Office opposite the wharf where you board at Kings st Wharf, we purchased return tickets there the day before.

When boarding lots were using their Opal cards.

Gbenjo, they may well have cancelled the service as there are no dates showing on the website now.

It would be a shame as it was so convenient.

Edited by cheznandy

12 hours ago, cheznandy said:

Gbenjo, they may well have cancelled the service as there are no dates showing on the website now.

It would be a shame as it was so convenient.

There are still lots of dates showing... 13 March, 16 March, 21 March, 23 March. 

As said, the service is still running.

Still several cafes and restaurants around that only take cash. So do not rely entirely on the credit card.  A few down here on NSW South Coast like that. Dodging ye olde Tax man I suppose.  'Book 'em Danno.' 🤬

I was down Merimbula way the other week, couple of eateries were 'cash only.'

Edited by NSWP

On 3/6/2020 at 11:33 AM, gbenjo said:

I have used it numerous times when sailing out of White Bay.

On 3/6/2020 at 1:09 PM, The_Big_M said:

It still runs. It's just it only runs in conjunction with Carnival cruises 

This makes sense for when I have used it.