New Regent Ship coming in late 2023

BBfromCA

A 3rd Explorer class vessel has been known to be in the works for 2023 some time now, so not really news here for Regent at least. Not sure about the other NCL ship though.

Interesting if 2020 is going to pump the brakes on any of these plans.

I did not know the Oceania ships were approximately 20% larger (by tonnage).

7 hours ago, slidebite said:

A 3rd Explorer class vessel has been known to be in the works for 2023 some time now, so not really news here for Regent at least. Not sure about the other NCL ship though.

Interesting if 2020 is going to pump the brakes on any of these plans.

I did not know the Oceania ships were approximately 20% larger (by tonnage).

Riviera and Marina each carry 1200 passengers.  Almost double what Explorer and Splendor do, with only just under a 1/4 more tonnage.   Cabins and suites are smaller (though I have to say I love the Vista and Owners Suites).   They are lovely ships and I am sure the new ones will be too.

2 hours ago, drib said:

Well, whenever that time comes, I'd prefer it be a new design, as opposed to an Explorer clone with a few tweaks.

I know that stamping out the same model has been successful - for Viking, for example. And it's efficient, like the Southwest model of only flying 737s. But it's really boring!

Not going to happen, though.

I thought that I read that the next ship will be a different design.  Since I no longer believe what I read, I suppose we will have to wait and see.  Agree that a new design would be nice.

As long as the new design doesn’t accommodate 1,200 people or more.

I seen to recall being at a town hall once when they announced the initial plans for a new ship (which eventually became Explorer) and they were giving the proposed specs and announced the passenger capacity was 1,250 passengers.  Needless to say, that plan didn’t go over so well with the audience...

13 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I thought that I read that the next ship will be a different design.  Since I no longer believe what I read, I suppose we will have to wait and see.  Agree that a new design would be nice.

Regent has stated since they first announced the 2023 vessel that it will be Explorer class - so almost certainly become triplets with Explorer/Splendor and a few superficial tweaks and incorporate things learned in building from the earlier two.

Another new design altogether would be nice, but far more expensive and to be honest, probably not necessary at this point.

https://www.rssc.com/news/details?newsid=50561

With delivery scheduled in late 2023, the new vessel will be a sister ship to the award-winning

Seven Seas Explorer®, the most luxurious ship ever built, and Seven Seas Splendor, the ship that perfects luxury.

Trivia:

As we know the Mariner and Voyager are both very similar, but not sister ships. The question is: Do Mariner and Voyager actually have class siblings in other cruise lines?

I believe I know a bit about one of them, but not sure of the other. Curious of any others have info.

Edited by slidebite
added trivia!

2 hours ago, slidebite said:

Regent has stated since they first announced the 2023 vessel that it will be Explorer class - so almost certainly become triplets with Explorer/Splendor and a few superficial tweaks and incorporate things learned in building from the earlier two.

Another new design altogether would be nice, but far more expensive and to be honest, probably not necessary at this point.

https://www.rssc.com/news/details?newsid=50561

Trivia:

As we know the Mariner and Voyager are both very similar, but not sister ships. The question is: Do Mariner and Voyager actually have class siblings in other cruise lines?

I believe I know a bit about one of them, but not sure of the other. Curious of any others have info.

Are you referring to the name or the design of the ship?  I believe that Royal Caribbean have ships named "Voyager of the Seas" and "Mariner of the Seas".   Thanks for bringing some lightness to this thread!

Edited by Travelcat2

Yes - that's where I was going. Information on this seems to be quite vague, but apparently Mariner is a Mistral class ship. If so, she has at least 4 sisters that I can find (same class but obviously differences in design, not the least of which is number of balcony cabins) from the same shipyard around the same time frame (late 90s/early 00s).

I would love to find more info on any ships related to Mariner.. and Voyager for that matter.

I think Navigator is unique in that she was laid as a Soviet satellite tracking vessel before the breakup of the USSR, sold as a partially built hull and massively retrofitted afterwards.

Unless we get the current issues sorted over the virus (deliberately not named) the ships will be sailing with reduced load as the whole travel industry is in a real meltdown............ Perhaps we could name the ship ' Emptor'  (JOKE !! )

6 hours ago, slidebite said:

Yes - that's where I was going. Information on this seems to be quite vague, but apparently Mariner is a Mistral class ship. If so, she has at least 4 sisters that I can find (same class but obviously differences in design, not the least of which is number of balcony cabins) from the same shipyard around the same time frame (late 90s/early 00s).

I would love to find more info on any ships related to Mariner.. and Voyager for that matter.

I think Navigator is unique in that she was laid as a Soviet satellite tracking vessel before the breakup of the USSR, sold as a partially built hull and massively retrofitted afterwards.

Navigator is unique - that is for sure.  We sailed on her when Radisson/Regent was under private ownership.  It was quite a mess (losing power at sea, horrible aft vibration and brown water in the sink and showers).  A whole lot of money has gone into the ship to make her what she is today (adding a "duck tail" for stabilization, etc.). While she will never be as stable as the rest of the fleet, she does have quite a following.  

23 hours ago, GrJ Berks said:

Unless we get the current issues sorted over the virus (deliberately not named) the ships will be sailing with reduced load as the whole travel industry is in a real meltdown............ Perhaps we could name the ship ' Emptor'  (JOKE !! )

At the rate the virus is going and with the stock market as it is no one will be able to afford to build any new ships.

9 minutes ago, RJB said:

At the rate the virus is going and with the stock market as it is no one will be able to afford to build any new ships.

Forget affording to build a new ship, I have real concerns for some of these companies surviving if this crisis carries on for more than a few weeks. These companies are leveraged out the whazoo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidebite said:

Forget affording to build a new ship, I have real concerns for some of these companies surviving if this crisis carries on for more than a few weeks. These companies are leveraged out the whazoo.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks this