Expectation of lower fares?

18 hours ago, djyellowsub said:

We just saved $700 on our Anthem cruise in November this year out of Bayonne. With the health situation changing daily, it is hard to predict if we will be able to go, but at least we have a cheaper room while we wait to see what happens.  This is for a balcony room for two people.  It did take a long time to get a rep on the phone!

How did you get that savings? You just called and asked for a discount or did the published fares drop?

I'm also cruising in Nov but on the Liberty. If I an get an upgrade or a discount I would be very happy! LOL

Thanks ahead for the inside scoop!

18 hours ago, djyellowsub said:

We just saved $700 on our Anthem cruise in November this year out of Bayonne.   This is for a balcony room for two people.  It did take a long time to get a rep on the phone!

Interesting because when I call, there is a message saying if you are not sailing within 2 weeks, please call back at a later date.  I'm sailing  in 12 days and can't get through.  

We heard the message about not sailing within 2 weeks and thought, "No telling how long they will be putting out that message" so we just waited on the phone over an hour until we got someone.  It took all of 5 minutes to get the discount on our cruise because we weren't changing rooms.  Some people have waited over an hour and others have gotten through in 2 minutes.  I don't know why there is such a variety of time when trying to get through.  There is a special number for calls related to coronavirus posted on the RCI website.

We noticed the change in fares on the website.  We noticed the drop when we looked at the information for the specific sailing.  We thought maybe the virus scare would affect prices.  Some sailings are lower, some have gone up.  Anyway, because fares fluctuate almost weekly, we decided to act right away since $700 is a huge savings for us.  We wanted the same room.  When we finally got through, we told the rep our reservation number and we got the discount.  The non-refundable deposit still applied.  It was very easy.  If you want the same room and the published prices have dropped RCI will honor the price drop as long as it is before final payment.  It pays to keep checking.

Sill so strange that they're discounting far out sailings while we're in the heat of it.  A lot will change before November.  You'd think the least they could do is honor our Royalup bids.  Anyway, look for me and MrFunInTheSun to do live reviews.  I'm still on hold, by the way.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, djyellowsub said:

We noticed the change in fares on the website.  We noticed the drop when we looked at the information for the specific sailing.  We thought maybe the virus scare would affect prices.  Some sailings are lower, some have gone up.  Anyway, because fares fluctuate almost weekly, we decided to act right away since $700 is a huge savings for us.  We wanted the same room.  When we finally got through, we told the rep our reservation number and we got the discount.  The non-refundable deposit still applied.  It was very easy.  If you want the same room and the published prices have dropped RCI will honor the price drop as long as it is before final payment.  It pays to keep checking.

I keep checking every day.  But I booked mine in January, and it has gone up over $400 for 2 now.

I guess Ill just keep hoping and watching...

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

Sill so strange that they're discounting far out sailings while we're in the heat of it.  A lot will change before November.  You'd think the least they could do is honor our Royalup bids.  Anyway, look for me and MrFunInTheSun to do live reviews.  I'm still on hold, by the way.

Good luck! Hope they answer soon!

I'm in a solo studio.  My first time in one of those.  Normally, I'm fine with inside cabins, I sleep the sleep of the righteous in them.  I'm thinking if we get quarantined, I might go stir crazy in less than 100sf.  .  It'd sure be nice to have a balcony.  Still on hold...

24 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

I'm in a solo studio.  My first time in one of those.  Normally, I'm fine with inside cabins, I sleep the sleep of the righteous in them.  I'm thinking if we get quarantined, I might go stir crazy in less than 100sf.  .  It'd sure be nice to have a balcony.  Still on hold...

Please be sure to let us know how successful you are!  I was on hold with Royal and got through but there wasn’t much they could do for me since I went through a big box store - this is the last time I do that since I’ve been on hold 4 separate times for 2 hours with that store only to be hung up on all four times. I’ve even tried different phone numbers!

I’d love to know if you were able to upgrade successfully since I was just trying to do the same. In fact I just wanted two connecting rooms in the same category we already had.

Edited by Pianogrl44

51 minutes ago, djyellowsub said:

We heard the message about not sailing within 2 weeks and thought, "No telling how long they will be putting out that message" so we just waited on the phone over an hour until we got someone.  It took all of 5 minutes to get the discount on our cruise because we weren't changing rooms.  Some people have waited over an hour and others have gotten through in 2 minutes.  I don't know why there is such a variety of time when trying to get through.  There is a special number for calls related to coronavirus posted on the RCI website.

Are you far enough out that you haven't paid your final payment? I'm still wondering if they will hold tight on not giving money back if we have paid our final payment already. I know they will give an upgrade, but we are in a balcony guarantee and the next step up is $700 more to for sure be stuck in an obstructed view. Right now, if they cant give $$ back, I'd rather chance the guarantee and end up in a better room.

4 minutes ago, Pianogrl44 said:

Please be sure to let us know how successful you are! 

I’d love to know if you were able to upgrade successfully since I was just trying to do the same. 

I'll let you know.  I paid $1200 for the solo.  It's a good thing my name isn't Karen or I'd be demanding to speak to a manager.  🤪  Don't make me play the Diamond Plus card.   🤪🤪

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

I got through.  Royal says they'd be happy to charge me an additional  $2400 to upgrade to a balcony.  That's be $3600 total.  Gee, let me think about it.  🤬  

That’s absolutely ridiculous!!! You’d think they would be trying to fill rooms with loyal cruisers and reward those willing to cruise right now.  Wait it out a few days with even more cancellations and see what happens to pricing come this Saturday. 

7 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

I got through.  Royal says they'd be happy to charge me an additional  $2400 to upgrade to a balcony.  That's be $3600 total.  Gee, let me think about it.  🤬  

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully things will change as more people cancel.

12 minutes ago, Pianogrl44 said:

That’s absolutely ridiculous!!! You’d think they would be trying to fill rooms with loyal cruisers and reward those willing to cruise right now.  Wait it out a few days with even more cancellations and see what happens to pricing come this Saturday. 

Yeah, been cruising Royal since 1991.  They're my favorite, but, not at all solo friendly.  I cruise MSC and Carnival solo for less than $700 per week.  I still haven't heard on my Royalup, so, maybe that'll come through with all the cancellations.  

• Like 1

We upgraded to a boardwalk balcony for our Oasis July cruise 2 weeks ago, only spent $100 more than an inside room. Called this morning and save $120, and now the price has gone down another $100 in just 6 hours.