Question about FCCs

With the new cancellation policy there is some confusion about what happens if you cancel a cruise that had FCC applied.  The original terms posted thanks to Ourusualbeach said:

13) What if I decide to cancel for the Future Cruise Credit and I already had an FCC on my reservation?

• You're in a unique situation, since you used a credit. Your original Future Cruise Certificate will be considered redeemed and used. You'll receive a new Future Cruise Certificate based on the cruise fare in penalty in your current booking. You're forfeiting your old credit, so you may want to wait to decide. We are optimistic that things will be more stable.

Now today I am reading on the Celebrity boards that you will indeed get credit for your original FCC:

Looks like they made a change to that policy:

"What if my client used a Future Cruise Credit to pay for their existing cruise and now wishes to cancel under the Cruise with Confidence terms? 

The original Future Cruise Credit will be reinstated with the prior Future Cruise Credit expiration date  and amount. Your client will also receive a new Future Cruise Credit based on the amount paid and following the Cruise with Confidence policy terms."

Does anyone know if this has in fact changed now?

Edited by RosieRoo
Addition

I too would appreciate a concrete answer to this (ideally documented somewhere publicly).  We have previously lost out big time to this.  We had a large FCC which we used to pay for a cruise, and on that cruise we had serious issues on board (not going into details).  We were promised "50% of the cost of the cruise" as compensation, however we received exactly nothing -- because we had paid for the cruise using the Future Cruise Certificates.  Now part of our booked TA is paid for by an FCC, and I don't know whether it would be refunded or not if we cancel under the new policy.  I've tried calling Royal but you just can't get through here in the UK at the moment (I guess everybody is calling!).

Please be very careful if you accept FCCs from Royal having paid with FCCs.

On a related note -- if you have on-board credit (promotional or compensatory) and you cancel under Cruise with Confidence, does anybody know whether this OBC will be reimbursed?

12 minutes ago, szymon said:

I too would appreciate a concrete answer to this (ideally documented somewhere publicly).  We have previously lost out big time to this.  We had a large FCC which we used to pay for a cruise, and on that cruise we had serious issues on board (not going into details).  We were promised "50% of the cost of the cruise" as compensation, however we received exactly nothing -- because we had paid for the cruise using the Future Cruise Certificates.  Now part of our booked TA is paid for by an FCC, and I don't know whether it would be refunded or not if we cancel under the new policy.  I've tried calling Royal but you just can't get through here in the UK at the moment (I guess everybody is calling!).

Please be very careful if you accept FCCs from Royal having paid with FCCs.

On a related note -- if you have on-board credit (promotional or compensatory) and you cancel under Cruise with Confidence, does anybody know whether this OBC will be reimbursed?

Promotional obc will be lost

Edited by molly361

Same terms as Celebrity.  They will be re instated.

What if my client used a Future Cruise Credit to pay for their existing cruise and now wishes to cancel under the Cruise with Confidence terms?

The original Future Cruise Credit will be reinstated with the prior Future Cruise Credit expiration date and amount. Your client will also receive a new Future Cruise Credit based on the amount paid and following the Cruise with Confidence policy terms.

This was on an updated FAQ sheet sent to travel agents

So, if you had a $1000 cruise and  applied a $750 FCC and paid $250  

You would now get,

Your original $750 FCC reissued under original terms and a new FCC for $250 under new terms  

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

What if my client used a Future Cruise Credit to pay for their existing cruise and now wishes to cancel under the Cruise with Confidence terms?

The original Future Cruise Credit will be reinstated with the prior Future Cruise Credit expiration date and amount. Your client will also receive a new Future Cruise Credit based on the amount paid and following the Cruise with Confidence policy terms.

Why don't they add this to the consumer website FAQs?  Typical Royal communication fubar ... inconsistent info.

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This was on an updated FAQ sheet sent to travel agents

Edited by RosieRoo

Do you have to book the future cruise right away or can you wait as long as the cruise you book is before the end of 2021?

Thinking of canceling an upcoming cruise however not sure of when we would go in the furture.

I am assuming that whatever happens the worst will be over by the end of 2021.

6 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Do you have to book the future cruise right away or can you wait as long as the cruise you book is before the end of 2021?

Thinking of canceling an upcoming cruise however not sure of when we would go in the furture.

I am assuming that whatever happens the worst will be over by the end of 2021.

you can wait

@Ourusualbeach Thank you for keeping us all up to date! You have been terrific answering questions and helping us navigate through these uncharted waters!

My cruise is supposed to leave on Saturday. If we cancel, I understand the new policy is we will get FCC for the monetary amount expiring in 2021. Our FCC we used will be reissued with its original expiration date. The original expiration date is April 3, 2020. 

Will I receive the FCC before April 3 to be able to use it? If so, if I book a cruise for the end of March and cancel under the cruise with confidence policy will I get it all back in FCC for expiration 2021 or will it still have the original expiration date?

1 minute ago, mhall812 said:

@Ourusualbeach Thank you for keeping us all up to date! You have been terrific answering questions and helping us navigate through these uncharted waters!

My cruise is supposed to leave on Saturday. If we cancel, I understand the new policy is we will get FCC for the monetary amount expiring in 2021. Our FCC we used will be reissued with its original expiration date. The original expiration date is April 3, 2020. 

Will I receive the FCC before April 3 to be able to use it? If so, if I book a cruise for the end of March and cancel under the cruise with confidence policy will I get it all back in FCC for expiration 2021 or will it still have the original expiration date?

Wow, that's cutting it close.  I would make sure to mention that so they can rush it through or grant an extension.  just make sure they note things on your file and if you can get them to send you an e mail confirming.

original date.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Wow, that's cutting it close.  I would make sure to mention that so they can rush it through or grant an extension.  just make sure they note things on your file and if you can get them to send you an e mail confirming.

original date.

I spoke to Royal and they extended my FCC and I have to book within 6 months to use it. Thanks for all of your help!

• Like 1

We are cancelling our March 22nd sailing and looking at options in early June, which is still withing the "Cruise with Confidence" policy.  If I apply the FCC from the March 22nd sailing to a June cruise and the corona virus is still bad enough to cancel that new cruise in June, what happens with the FCC?  Is it reinstated?

Dan

20 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

original date.

Do you have any visibility to how long it takes from when you cancel to when you receive the FCC? We just cancelled a B2B for the end of March under the new policy, and want to use the FCC to pay for a cruise we have scheduled for Mid-July with a final payment date of 4/13. Did I cut it too close?

54 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Do you have any visibility to how long it takes from when you cancel to when you receive the FCC? We just cancelled a B2B for the end of March under the new policy, and want to use the FCC to pay for a cruise we have scheduled for Mid-July with a final payment date of 4/13. Did I cut it too close?

I've been told 4-6 weeks.  Don't worry about final payment.  You can apply it after final and they will then refund your credit card.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I've been told 4-6 weeks.  Don't worry about final payment.  You can apply it after final and they will then refund your credit card.

4-6 weeks?  Do you mean 4-6 days?  I think the representative I spoke to yesterday said about 5 days.

Dan

6 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

4-6 weeks?  Do you mean 4-6 days?  I think the representative I spoke to yesterday said about 5 days.

Dan

nope.  The initial reports that i heard was 4-6 weeks 

FCC's at the best of times have never been as quick as 5 days 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You can book another cruise.  you would have to put down the deposit regardless and then just apply the FCC once it arrives.

Thanks.  What if the next cruise is already in the final payment period?  I’m looking at possibilities late May, early June.

Dan

I've noticed that they've just changed the policy again. Previously, anyone denied boarding due to illness etc was entitled to a full refund, now it's a FCC, but considering that the equivalent cruise next year is now over double the price, I'm not convinced I'd find something affordable. I've got a month until my payment date, and up to now was content to pay up knowing that it they cancelled or I was ill I'd get a refund, but between this change and the fact that they keep changing the rules, I'm less inclined to stick with it if things aren't sorted by then. 

I'd rather lose £300 than risk £3000!