Cancelling before final payment when paid in full

BuckeyeMan

Cruise booked to Hawaii in July.  Like a dummy I paid in full last year when I had the money.  We are not to final payment date yet but are paid in full.  We are 126 days out from cruise.  What are my options to cancel at this point?  Is it just future cruise credit? No way to get my cash back I am guessing.  Does it matter if I cancel before final payment?  I had hoped this would be squared away before July but who knows at this point.

Thanks in advance for all answers.

Call ASAP!!  I am of the opinion from many years of cruising and reading these boards, that before final payment you should get all your $$ back, not just a future cruise credit.  Yes indeed it matters if you cancel before final payment due date!! get on the phone now.  Also look up NCL 48 hour cancel policy, if you are still considering going on the cruise.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BuckeyeMan said:

Cruise booked to Hawaii in July.  Like a dummy I paid in full last year when I had the money.  We are not to final payment date yet but are paid in full.  We are 126 days out from cruise.  What are my options to cancel at this point?  Is it just future cruise credit? No way to get my cash back I am guessing.  Does it matter if I cancel before final payment?  I had hoped this would be squared away before July but who knows at this point.

Thanks in advance for all answers.

If you cancel before the final payment date, all money you have paid will be returned to the credit card used when paid. That is a way better deal than "waiting it out" and only getting the future cruise credit. But make it very clear that you cancel according to the regular cancellation policy and not the "peace at mind" with future cruise credit.  *And  also you should  double-check that the credit card you used when paying has not expired in the meanwhile. I cancelled an August 2020 cruise yesterday, and it was not paid in full but I still had paid some money for the deposit plus some extras eg. shore excursions. Everything would normally be transferred to the credit card I used when paying for the items - BUT it turned out that my CC had been renewed in the meanwhile, so I had to contact NCL and give them different account information for the refund.

Edited by TrumpyNor

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

With the current policy, any money given to NCL is a non-refundable deposit towards a cruise. You can try get your money back, but it is probably a FCC (so you might as well rode it out until closer to yoor

cruise to cancel) 

I just cancelled a cruise yesterday, sailingdate end of August - final payment due end of April. Was told the refund would take 7-10 business days.

• Like 2

You are before final payment so you will get your money back. Call now because you must be really close to your final payment date. Don't wait until after that because then you will lose a portion of the money and end up with FCC instead. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

With the current policy, any money given to NCL is a non-refundable deposit towards a cruise. You can try get your money back, but it is probably a FCC (so you might as well rode it out until closer to yoor

cruise to cancel) 

This doesn't apply if someone is before their final payment date. 

I've also paid in full, final payment due in June for an October sailing.

I'm going to attempt to get a PARTIAL cash refund (everything except minimum deposit required to hold my booking).   If I cancel and rebook later, I KNOW I won't get as good a rate as I have now.  

But I'm extremely nervous about losing all my $$ if NCL goes belly up.

Doubt this effort works, but will post results.