Are our cruising days over? (merged topics re: health and age restrictions)

WmFCoyote

3 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Or maybe just maybe this is Princess? 🤔

Or maybe this was proposed by the CLIA. And they did it after it was proposed by Mike Pence. Or maybe because Pence proposed it after the doctor who had said don't go on a cruise walked it back to don't go on a cruise if you are over 70. 

1 hour ago, caribill said:

True.

But I soon have to decide if I make final payment for a cruise in July or cancel and get my $$ back,

Do I risk being able to have a (yet to be introduced by Princess) form willingly signed by a physician a week before the cruise deciding if I can cruise or not? 

Exactly why I called. We also have a cruise in July and have to make the same decision,

And for the poster who asked why call their overloaded system---after being told again there would be a long wait after all the prompts, MY CALL WAS ANSWERED WITHIN A FEW SECONDS.

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Or maybe this was proposed by the CLIA. And they did it after it was proposed by Mike Pence. Or maybe because Pence proposed it after the doctor who had said don't go on a cruise walked it back to don't go on a cruise if you are over 70. 

Doesn't matter what was proposed or not proposed........

Princess told you it does not apply and you are still arguing about it? 🤔

Why not wait until Princess actually starts sailing again and puts this requirement in effect??

• Like 1

Just now, Colo Cruiser said:

Why not wait until Princess actually starts sailing again and puts this requirement in effect??

Because maybe it would be better to let Princess know in advance it is a very bad idea.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, caribill said:

Because maybe it would be better to let Princess know in advance it is a very bad idea.

Thats pretty far from all those that have falsely declared here that it a Princess policy right now.

I am sure they (Princess) are and will get an ear full of how bad of an idea it really is.

Just now, Colo Cruiser said:

By the time Princess starts sailing again, we will be past final payment. We can now cancel and even our deposit is refundable.

Tell me what we should do if when we get to the port in Southampton, England to cruise to Norway and, DW is allowed onboard, but I am not because the policy changed after we made our final payment and our flight back is not for 7 more days and our hotel stay in London has ended.

1 minute ago, Colo Cruiser said:

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Thats pretty far from all those that have falsely declared here that it a Princess policy right now.

I am sure they (Princess) are and will get an ear full of how bad of an idea it really is.

Who has said anything other than other cruise lines are doing it; the CLIA has proposed it; upper government officials have proposed it. Could it be possible for Princess.

In fact I started the thread saying as of now Princess does not have this policy.

Per the CDC a few minutes ago:

This is an official
CDC HEALTH UPDATE
Distributed via the CDC Health Alert Network
March 15, 2020, 5:45 PM ET
CDCHAN-00430

Information and Guidance about Global Travel on Cruise Ships, Including River Cruises, due to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Summary
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends all persons defer any travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, worldwide because of the increased risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission onboard ships. Deferring travel is especially important for older adults and all people with serious chronic medical conditions (such as heart disease, diabetes or lung disease), because of their increased risk for severe disease. This health update provides information to clinicians and state and local health departments about the current coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) situation and the risks associated with travel on cruise ships, including river cruises.

Background Cruise ship passengers, including those who take river cruises, are at increased risk of exposure to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. In the past month, there have been reports of outbreaks of COVID-19 among passengers and crew on cruises. Recent examples include 696 cases and 8 deaths on the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan, 28 cases on the Grand Princess cruise ship in the United States, and at least 60 cases in 15 states associated with multiple Nile River voyages in Egypt as of March 14, 2020. Illness onset occurred both onboard ships and after passengers returned to the United States. The proximity of passengers and crew on small ships and boats traveling on rivers may result in an even higher number of COVID-19 infections.

Recommendations for Clinicians

Ask all patients about their planned or recent cruise ship travel, including river cruises.

1. Pre-travel advice

a. Advise patients to defer all cruise ship travel, including river cruises, worldwide.

b. Explain that their return travel to the United States may be impacted, and formal quarantine procedures may be implemented if confirmed cases are identified on board.

c. Explain that appropriate medical care or medical evacuation may not be available internationally.

d. Explain that some countries may refuse docking or disembarkation if there are known or suspected cases on board.

e. For patients who still intend to cruise, advise them to practice social distancing and monitor their health both during travel and for 14 days from the time they disembark. Social distancing means staying out of crowded places, avoiding group gatherings, and maintaining distance (approximately 6 feet or 2 meters) from others, when possible.

2. Post-travel management

a. Tell patients to follow CDC’s guidance on steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19 (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/steps-when-sick.html) if they develop acute febrile or respiratory illness after travel.

b. Implement recommended infection prevention and control practices (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/infection-control/control-recommendations.html) if you suspect a patient has COVID-19.

This is an official
CDC HEALTH UPDATE
CDCHAN-00430

Information and Guidance about Global Travel on Cruise Ships, Including River Cruises, due to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Summary
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends all persons defer any travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, worldwide because of the increased risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission onboard ships. Deferring travel is especially important for older adults and all people with serious chronic medical conditions (such as heart disease, diabetes or lung disease), because of their increased risk for severe disease. This health update provides information to clinicians and state and local health departments about the current coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) situation and the risks associated with travel on cruise ships, including river cruises.

Background Cruise ship passengers, including those who take river cruises, are at increased risk of exposure to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. In the past month, there have been reports of outbreaks of COVID-19 among passengers and crew on cruises. Recent examples include 696 cases and 8 deaths on the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan, 28 cases on the Grand Princess cruise ship in the United States, and at least 60 cases in 15 states associated with multiple Nile River voyages in Egypt as of March 14, 2020. Illness onset occurred both onboard ships and after passengers returned to the United States. The proximity of passengers and crew on small ships and boats traveling on rivers may result in an even higher number of COVID-19 infections.

Recommendations for Clinicians

Ask all patients about their planned or recent cruise ship travel, including river cruises.

1. Pre-travel advice

a. Advise patients to defer all cruise ship travel, including river cruises, worldwide.

b. Explain that their return travel to the United States may be impacted, and formal quarantine procedures may be implemented if confirmed cases are identified on board.

c. Explain that appropriate medical care or medical evacuation may not be available internationally.

d. Explain that some countries may refuse docking or disembarkation if there are known or suspected cases on board.

e. For patients who still intend to cruise, advise them to practice social distancing and monitor their health both during travel and for 14 days from the time they disembark. Social distancing means staying out of crowded places, avoiding group gatherings, and maintaining distance (approximately 6 feet or 2 meters) from others, when possible.

2. Post-travel management

a. Tell patients to follow CDC’s guidance on steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19 (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/steps-when-sick.html) if they develop acute febrile or respiratory illness after travel.

b. Implement recommended infection prevention and control practices (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/infection-control/control-recommendations.html) if you suspect a patient has COVID-19.

Just now, ontheweb said:

Who has said anything other than other cruise lines are doing it; the CLIA has proposed it; upper government officials have proposed it. Could it be possible for Princess.

In fact I started the thread saying as of now Princess does not have this policy.

Not you. Have you read the declarations of some other posters?

This has been posted as fact on a few threads here on CC.

14 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

By the time Princess starts sailing again, we will be past final payment. We can now cancel and even our deposit is refundable.

Tell me what we should do if when we get to the port in Southampton, England to cruise to Norway and, DW is allowed onboard, but I am not because the policy changed after we made our final payment and our flight back is not for 7 more days and our hotel stay in London has ended.

We always purchase CFAR Princess insurance for all of our cruises.

Have you purchased this insurance to cover a situation like you describe?

I find the RCL one problematic and the NCL one okay.  But that is me.  Perhaps when we return home from FL in early April after "snowbirding", I will print these off and ask our MD if she would sign either one assuming I was 70. 

ETA:  When I wrote "problematic" - I meant for a MD, not me personally.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

Where is the Princess form?  🤔

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, caribill said:

This is an official
CDC HEALTH UPDATE
CDCHAN-00430

No question on the above, but I presume the concern over the medical forms is for when the contagion is settled down and cruise lines are clear to operate again.  If I am not well, I shouldn't be travelling and if I had those chronic conditions, it is most likely my travel insurance would be useless as I wouldn't be covered.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I find the RCL one problematic and the NCL one okay.  But that is me.  Perhaps when we return home from FL in early April after "snowbirding", I will print these off and ask our MD if she would sign either one assuming I was 70. 

Great idea. 

15 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

We always purchase CFAR Princess insurance for all of our cruises.

Have you purchased this insurance to cover a situation like you describe?

That would return what you paid Princess, but not get back what you paid yourself for airfare and hotel.

3 minutes ago, caribill said:

That would return what you paid Princess, but not get back what you paid yourself for airfare and hotel plus the cost of last minute farse to get back home.

They don't cover EZ Air? I thought they did? Hmm

Well if the hotel is the only loss thats a pretty good return.

Sometimes you gotta take a chance. 

You can come up with excuse after excuse if one wants.

I could have the same issue with all my cruises.

If one is not willing to do that maybe they should not be taking a cruise? Or any trip for that matter.

Back to the basic question: What do you do if you are past final payment, are in the sailing range of 11 May - 30 June and have one or more of the conditions that CLIA proposes to preclude you for travel? Do you accept the current offer from Princess to cancel and receive a FCC even though you may never overcome the condition and PCL might never rescind the policy making your FCC with an expiration date worthless or expect PCL to offer a complete refund of all monies paid?

If princess is not going to adopt the policy then they should say so. Until then the threat of the adopting and not rescinding the policy before the FCC expires puts anyone with a chronic illness (according to the cdc) is in danger of loosing the full payment for a cruise that final payment has been paid for.

• Like 3

By the way, I do not believe that one of the reps at the 800# is an official spokesman for Princes Cruise Lines and their assurances would hold little water in a court of law. So until PCL issues a statement saying that they have no intention of using a "fitness to sail" form, then the possibility is very real. After all PCL is apart of the CLIA and a line (Carnival) under the same corporate ownership has said that they will need such a letter

• Like 1