Worst case scenario

TwinMamainMN

It is very likely our upcoming cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver will be cancelled. We have decided when it happens, we will switch to a DIY land tour some other time this year. I have searched google and know that Nov-April is generally considered hurricane season, even though hurricanes are rare in HI. I know the temps are fairly consistent and it obviously rains more in the rainforest areas than other parts.

Is there a "bed time" or "less desirable" time to visit?

Depends on how you define "bed (best, I am sure) or "less".

It is slightly warmer (5 or so degrees) in summer months, and can be more humid, particularly in September and into October. September and early October are generally a bit less busy. I don't think Hawaii gets hurricanes beyond December...the eastern Pacific (which is where Hawaii's hurricanes develop) hurricane season is July to early December.

Whale season, which is VERY popular and cool, particularly on Maui, is December-early April. Definitely very hgh on our interests.

We have been to Hawaii over 30 times (never on a cruise), were just there a week ago for 12 days, and in all but 2 months of the year...July and August. There has NEVER been a bad time to be in Hawaii...unless, I guess, if a hurricane lands on you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Depends on how you define "bed (best, I am sure) or "less".

It is slightly warmer (5 or so degrees) in summer months, and can be more humid, particularly in September and into October. September and early October are generally a bit less busy. I don't think Hawaii gets hurricanes beyond December...the eastern Pacific (which is where Hawaii's hurricanes develop) hurricane season is July to early December.

Whale season, which is VERY popular and cool, particularly on Maui, is December-early April. Definitely very hgh on our interests.

We have been to Hawaii over 30 times (never on a cruise), were just there a week ago for 12 days, and in all but 2 months of the year...July and August. There has NEVER been a bad time to be in Hawaii...unless, I guess, if a hurricane lands on you.

If our April 10th Hawaii cruise gets canceled, which seems very likely, I'm considering the Jan. 9th Miracle 15 day Hawaii cruise out of San Diego. It looks like January is a bit more rainy than other months. What's your past experience, if any, with the weather in January?

39 minutes ago, CCRUZER said:

If our April 10th Hawaii cruise gets canceled, which seems very likely, I'm considering the Jan. 9th Miracle 15 day Hawaii cruise out of San Diego. It looks like January is a bit more rainy than other months. What's your past experience, if any, with the weather in January?

It can be a bit more rainy in January and February, but people from the mainland misinterpret that. Rarely is rain a problem in Hawaii...it usually comes and goes pretty quickly, and is pretty warm during and after. I got pretty soaked playing golf on February 29...a heavy 20 or 25 minute shower. But an hour later I was totally dry. It similarly rained pretty hard for 30 or 40 minutes the next day, but hardly affected anything going on.  Those were the only two periods of rain in a 12 day stay.

The forecast for Mar 1 was not very good for our whale watching trip...windy, rainy, rough seas. But other than the rain I mentioned, it was dry all day (this was in the Lahaina/Ka'anapali area). It was windy at times. Our 7:30 whale watch was canceled, as were all the whale watching trips, out of an abundance of caution. But, other than the 30 or 40 minutes of rain, it probably would have been ok.

As mentioned here frequently, the first two days out of the West Coast, and the last two going back, will be cooler, and the seas potentially rougher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

It can be a bit more rainy in January and February, but people from the mainland misinterpret that. Rarely is rain a problem in Hawaii...it usually comes and goes pretty quickly, and is pretty warm during and after. I got pretty soaked playing golf on February 29...a heavy 20 or 25 minute shower. But an hour later I was totally dry. It similarly rained pretty hard for 30 or 40 minutes the next day, but hardly affected anything going on.  Those were the only two periods of rain in a 12 day stay.

The forecast for Mar 1 was not very good for our whale watching trip...windy, rainy, rough seas. But other than the rain I mentioned, it was dry all day (this was in the Lahaina/Ka'anapali area). It was windy at times. Our 7:30 whale watch was canceled, as were all the whale watching trips, out of an abundance of caution. But, other than the 30 or 40 minutes of rain, it probably would have been ok.

As mentioned here frequently, the first two days out of the West Coast, and the last two going back, will be cooler, and the seas potentially rougher.

CruiserBruce,  Thanks for the info!

We visit Maui almost every November (fingers crossed we make it this year!).  Our wedding anniversary is the first week in November and we love that time of year, it's a great time to go.  But the winter months bring whales which is also wonderful.  I've been in January once and had a great time.

I don't cruise June - September and probably wouldn't go to Hawaii in February or March but that is due more to crowds than weather.  It can rain anytime -- or not, just like anywhere else.  There is never a bad time to visit Hawaii!  🙂

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I like the winter,  due to humpback viewing.     But,  the water is colder and I am always in a wet suit,  and sometimes it's still nippy.   🙂      My priority is snorkeling which does require more extended time in the water.     I typically go there twice a year,   so my wonderful summer trips are very pleasant  for my snorkeling and also my prior to doing Manta Ray tours-   just way too cold for me in the winter.   

Time is your best friend,   I don't go for less than 3 weeks.    Add as much time as possible-  is my suggestion.     Southwet is half the price of Hawaiian Airlines and simple to do an open jaw from home area.   

We visit Maui almost every November (fingers crossed we make it this year!).  Our wedding anniversary is the first week in November and we love that time of year, it's a great time to go.  But the winter months bring whales which is also wonderful.  I've been in January once and had a great time.

I don't cruise June - September and probably wouldn't go to Hawaii in February or March but that is due more to crowds than weather.  It can rain anytime -- or not, just like anywhere else.  There is never a bad time to visit Hawaii!  [emoji846]

We rescheduled our cruise for October 31, so our cruise will be the first week of November. I hope our weather is as good as yours was!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

7 hours ago, Cindy said:

We rescheduled our cruise for October 31, so our cruise will be the first week of November. I hope our weather is as good as yours was!

I hope you make it and have a wonderful time! We will be on Maui that week also, hopefully. I could sure use some Hawaii right now! 🙂

I hope you make it and have a wonderful time! We will be on Maui that week also, hopefully. I could sure use some Hawaii right now! [emoji846]

Me too!

If Hawaii is “open” but there’s no cruise, we may try to go anyway and at least get to Maui and Kauai. Any recommendations of places to stay if it comes to that?

54 minutes ago, Cindy said:

Me too!

If Hawaii is “open” but there’s no cruise, we may try to go anyway and at least get to Maui and Kauai. Any recommendations of places to stay if it comes to that?

Sure! But a lot would depend if you wanted condo or hotel and your budget. On Kauai I would say the Grand Hyatt if budget allows. Kauai also has condos and cottages. On both islands, you need to make sure there is AC if you stay somewhere other than a hotel, but this is especially true on Kauai.

Maui has luxury hotels like the Montage and Four Seasons, mid-range chains like the Hyatt right on Kaanapali beach, older Hawaiiana hotels like the Kaanapali Beach Hotel and the Royal Lahaina (which is in one of my favorite locations), large condo resorts like the Westin Nanea, and then smaller condo complexes, many of which are oceanfront or beachfront.  Lots of great choices!

4 hours ago, Cindy said:

Me too!

There is a wide range of options.   I actually avoid the resorts  etc like the plague.   🙂   Crowded, tough for parking  etc.   I'm not a lay on the beach person and  have to be on the move and out everyday.   🙂    I also always have a car-  so a lodging factor is involved depending you you?   

I really like staying Kihei/Wailea  areas.      

Plenty of options to consider.   🙂   

On 4/17/2020 at 6:53 AM, Cindy said:

Me too! If Hawaii is “open” but there’s no cruise, we may try to go anyway and at least get to Maui and Kauai. Any recommendations of places to stay if it comes to that?

Assuming you mean Nov.1, 2020 I'd say Kauai. And assuming you are coming for more than 7 nights,  I'd look at condos in Poipu, especially Koloa Landing, Poipu Kapili and Nihi Kai.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 11:51 AM, Budget Queen said:

There is a wide range of options.   I actually avoid the resorts  etc like the plague.   🙂   Crowded, tough for parking  etc.   I'm not a lay on the beach person and  have to be on the move and out everyday.   🙂    I also always have a car-  so a lodging factor is involved depending you you?  I really like staying Kihei/Wailea  areas.

I've never had a hard time finding parking at any resort on Maui or Kauai.

Keihei/Wailea is my least favorite area on Maui unless I can get into the Four Seasons for a reasonable cost or unless my company is paying.

Napili Kai Beach Hotel is my favorite hotel on Maui. A distant second is the rooms at the Sheraton Maui on top of Black Rock (Moana and Hoku Hales, click the link for a map) and then the condos at the Hyatt Regency.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 12:17 PM, CCRUZER said:

January and February are great and especially great if the trip ports in Lahaina. We were on the Star Princess late February this year and just sitting on deck you were able to spot dozens of whales, all day long. Some came very close to the ship.

8 hours ago, scottca075 said:

January and February are great and especially great if the trip ports in Lahaina. We were on the Star Princess late February this year and just sitting on deck you were able to spot dozens of whales, all day long. Some came very close to the ship.

unfortunately Carnival usually docks in Kahalui.  It is nice to not have to tender, but it is an industrial port with nothing to see.  Lahaina is a good 45 minute drive.  

We agree - we were on the Star in early February.  We enjoyed watching the whales from the Skywalker Lounge.  It was great -- more whales than we could count.  

Edited by CRUZBUDS
  • Like 2