for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

11 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Was not prepared for the plethora of diamond, tanzanite, whatever other stone stores there were!  

Thanks for letting us follow you around, lol. Alaska ports used to be so different; now many of them have all the same tourist tat you'll find in the Caribbean -- plus some uniquely Alaskan takes like the Ulu knife....

I remember going to Sitka in 1977 on a 25,000 ton ship. Very few "stores" there then. My mom bought a real Russian samovar in a kind of antique/jumble shop, lol.  

• Like 1

Hello everyone! I have a question that I am confident you can answer...

What is the best way to get from Rome to the port? I went to Rome about 12 years ago now and I can't for the life of me remember how I got to the port. Normally I'd ask my mom and she'd tell me how many steps to each turn to get me where I needed to go in Rome lol but can't do that now.

Any advice? Best train ticket to get? Where to get it? Can I get it ahead of time? We'll be needing to get from Rome to the port on June 17th.

ALSO.... Saw someone talking about Bagellini bags a little while back and wanted to mention that my local Costco (in Southern California) was selling some really awesome Bagellini bags and they had very reasonable prices. Just sharing in case anyone was still in the market for one 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiseKitten22 said:

What is the best way to get from Rome to the port? I went to Rome about 12 years ago now and I can't for the life of me remember how I got to the port. Normally I'd ask my mom and she'd tell me how many steps to each turn to get me where I needed to go in Rome lol but can't do that now.

Any advice? Best train ticket to get? Where to get it? Can I get it ahead of time? We'll be needing to get from Rome to the port on June 17th.

There are really two viable options:  Take the train or go with a private driver.

Taking the train:  If you did this 12 years ago it would have been easier then. Since that time, Civitavecchia (the port town) has moved the entrance to the port farther from the train station so that the walk would now be about twice as long. You can still take the train, but once there you'd probably also need to take a local bus (2 euro per person) from the train station to the port entrance THEN take a free port shuttle to your ship. That's three different "on and offs" so it just ups the hassle factor. However the cost is still cheap.

Most of the trains that go between Rome and Civitavecchia are local trains without assigned seats and can get pretty crowded. They leave about every 30-40 minutes. There's no real advantage to buying a ticket (less than 5 euro per person) in advance, since there are no reserved seats and no capacity limit (as long as you can fit in the car, lol).  But a couple of times a day there is a long-distance fast train ("Frecciabianca") that goes between these two cities -- these trains are more expensive, but they have assigned seats and tickets can be purchased in advanced.

To purchase, go to the Trenitalia website and select the English option. Starting point is "Roma Termini", ending point is "Civitavecchia -- Tutti le Stazioni (All Stations)".  As of right now, I see there is a Frecciabianca train that leaves Rome at 11:57 am and arrives Civitavecchia at 12:44 pm.  That would probably be your best option. The fare is just under 10 euro per person. Tickets can only be purchased about 4 months in advance of travel, but train times rarely change much.

Private Driver:  You can arrange a pick-up from your hotel in Rome with a private agency and they will be able to take you directly into the port and right to your ship's terminal. A car for two will cost from 130-160 euro; a shared van (you don't have to arrange the share, but you may have a couple of pick-ups after yours to fill the van) can go for 80-90 euro per couple -- not per person. Either of these options are cheaper than a regular taxi.  If you want to pursue this, there are a couple of well-reviewed private transfers often mentioned here on CC:  Rome Cabs (they aren't actually taxis) and RomeInLimo.  I've used a shared shuttle a couple of times also and can give you a name if you want.

More expensive, yes -- but a lot less hassle!  

(Have fun on your trip!!  Just consider us your travel aunties, I think your mom would get a kick out of that. 😸)

• Like 5

Hi Cruise Kitten, nice to see you again🙂 hope you are doing well and your Dad too.

Cynthia's post is spot on......train or private car would have been my suggestions. Actually private transport would be my first choice. I have not sailed from Rome in years but I do remember, the hotel I stayed at pre-cruise did get a car reserved for me. The driver was waiting with a sign that had my name on it (Lots of drivers were in the same area in the airport).  In my case, I used a car from airport to hotel and was in a shared van with some other folks to the ship. 

Hope you have a wonderful time!

• Like 1

It is a cold, dreary, rainy(and a smidge of snow) day.  Glacier Bay was the destination.  We are the first ship of the year in the Bay.  Had a nice view of the cruise from my balcony.  It was clearer viewing than up in the Crow’s Nest with the rain on the windows.  I popped up there to grab a cafe latte and it was crazy crowded.  Took my beverage and ran back downstairs.  No wildlife seen other than seagulls and one swimming animal I think was a seal.  Lots of ice floating in the way up to Margerie Glacier.  The captain did a cool slow 360 turn so that all sides of the ship could see the glacier.  He got the OK to cruise up to Johns Hopkins Glacier.  They both look the same to me, but the tops of them were interesting to see.  I still think Athabasca Glacier in Jasper National Park was more interesting to me, as well as the random little glacier we had to climb across decades ago when I was backpacking in the Sierra Nevadas.  Call me jaded 😉

We just pulled into Icy Strait Point.  It’s raining pretty good and I didn’t have anything particular to do this evening there so I’m staying on the boat.   The bay floor must drop off drastically here - I think we’re docked no more than 100 yds from the rocky beach.  Cool looking spot - the forest comes right down to the beach.  It has that damp forest look and smell.  

OOTD:  Black Woolx leggings, my black “butt warmer” insulated mini skirt, purple & black tie dye hoodie shirt, my Cotopaxi vest, Patagonia jacket, Merrill Moab’s (they were jealous that the Chameleons were getting all the wear).  And pigtails.  

IMG_2220.jpeg

IMG_2218.jpeg

IMG_2211.jpeg

IMG_2205.jpeg

IMG_2204.jpeg

IMG_2215.jpeg

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I popped up there to grab a cafe latte and it was crazy crowded.

Are the baristas slow on your ship?  I thought they were pretty slow on Westerdam compared to Celebrity's Caffe al Bacio. Good coffee though...

Your photos are nice despite the weather. Sometimes glaciers actually look more interesting under cloudy skies. 

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've used a shared shuttle a couple of times also and can give you a name if you want.

More expensive, yes -- but a lot less hassle!  

Thank you so much for all the info! I think we're interested in the shared transfer if you don't mind sharing what company you went through. Our hotel offers a transfer but it is 180 euros so I think I'd rather not do that lol 

3 hours ago, CruiseKitten22 said:

Thank you so much for all the info! I think we're interested in the shared transfer if you don't mind sharing what company you went through. Our hotel offers a transfer but it is 180 euros so I think I'd rather not do that lol 

The name (and email) is sharedshuttle.it 

I've used them and recommended to others -- no problems. The current cost for a shared shuttle for 2 people from Rome to port is 85 euros.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Are the baristas slow on your ship?  I thought they were pretty slow on Westerdam compared to Celebrity's Caffe al Bacio. Good coffee though...

Your photos are nice despite the weather. Sometimes glaciers actually look more interesting under cloudy skies. 

That was the only time I went for a latte.  Yeah they were slow.  But guests were ordering multiple drinks to be made like in their local *bucks!   I’m finding the buffet coffee just fine.    

The outfit yesterday was on of my favorites to wear to work.  

From cold and dreary to cool and mostly sunny today.  It was a good day to get out and about in tiny Sitka.  This is the only place I booked an excursion - out to the bear sanctuary, the raptor rehabilitation center and Sitka National Park.  Didn’t book with the cruise as they didn’t do all 3 and I didn’t want to be on a big bus with 50 others.  Used Sitka Wildlife Tours - just a van with 9 of us.  I’m a sucker for wildlife rehab places so this tour was right up my alley.  The bear sanctuary takes in cubs whose mothers have been killed.  The cubs grow up to be nice specimens.  The facility uses old leeching pools from a defunct paper mill.  The walls of the pools are too high for them to get out and is recycling old property.   Today there were 5 brown bears and 3 black bears in residence.  The blacks were hiding, but the brown were out and about.  Kind of like “the humans are here, give them a show.”   We then went to the Alaska Raptor Recovery center.  Wow.  They had quite a few bald eagles there in various stages of getting ready for release.  They are big and  they look mean!   They had an owl there, too, getting his wings back.  He had a wonderful face.

Last was the little National Park.  Walked among the totems and learned what each meant.  Went down into the forest for a little bit of a trail walk.  Loved the forest - just so green, the moss, the stuff growing on the old stumps.  Things were just starting to bud.  

On the way now to Ketchikan.  A short day - 7am-12:30pm.  Just going to walk around town, grab a fish taco, stop by Soho Coho and look at the artsy Tshirts.  The salmon aren’t running quite yet so I don’t think there will be much to see at the salmon ladder in town.  

OOTD:  jeans, Cotopaxi hoodie Tshirt, Cotopaxi vest, Patagonia jacket, a Boho Bandeau in my hair, and the Chameleons.  

My photos haven’t made it over to the cloud yet, so I’ll add a few later.

• Like 2

Today was a beautiful day to be out walking in Ketchikan.  Sun was out and the temp was in the upper 40s.  I just walked around the old part of town, over to Creek St, up the Married Man walk to the fish ladder (no fish yet to be going up).  Found a place that had old glass phone pole insulator caps so I had to stop in and buy one (I collect them).  Picked up a Tshirt at Soho Coho.   I had to ask where to get a cup of coffee - there wasn’t a place anywhere!  A local got me up the hill a little to a place that had good coffee and pastries.  That kept me going.   I have to say - unless you were doing an excursion or really into jewelry or cheesy souvenirs, not much to do in town.  Good thing it was a short day.  The Grand Princess pulled into town about 2 hours after we did.    Went back to the ship around 11am and hung out upstairs on the Seaview deck and the one above it.  Watched the ship leave port, go out the channel and into the sound.  Watched the harbor pilot exit the ship - that was fun!  My cousin Jack retired as a harbor pilot in Chesapeake Bay/Hampton Roads, so it was interesting to see how the pilot boats pulls alongside and tracks with the ship to offload the pilot.  

My photos are still uploading to the cloud, so I’ll put some out more later,

OOTD:  jeans, my olive tie dye Smartwool hoodie shirt, my vest (not cold enough for my jacket), and my Moab’s.   Tonight is Tamarind so I guess I’ll change clothes for that.  

IMG_2318.jpeg

IMG_2319.jpeg

IMG_2322.jpeg

• Like 3

@slidergirl  Loved your Sitka pics. Did you know that Westerdam was there (in Sitka) today -- just missed her by a day!  

Yep, Ketchikan is a pretty low key (and increasingly touristy) place. Last time we were there the salmon ladder was hopping, at least. First time I was there at the right time for it. 

• Like 1

Pics uploaded so I’ll add some.

I “dressed” for dinner last night at Tamarind:  my Woolx Tshirt dress, black booties, denim jacket.  I wore the bluish green beaded tassel necklace my owner gave me and the bluish earrings I bought last summer for my grand niece’s wedding.  I looked fairly presentable.  Some of the girls doing service in Tamarind kept coming over and saying they liked the boots.   Anyway,  it was an excellent dinner.  The lobster/shrimp potstickers were tasty and the crispy duck was indeed crispy skin and tender meat.   After a couple left, the girls had me move over to one of the banquettes against the windows so I could watch the sunset.  It was a pretty one.  Went back up to the room, put on my headphones and did some nice musical listening until I fell asleep.

Today is all overcast, but calm water.  I’m just sitting up in the Crow’s Nest, had a latte, and just listening to more music.  Cynthia - today it was the guy taking the orders who was SLOW, the girl making the coffees was very fast.  

I have to pack up tonight - I’m having Port Valet deal with my bag to the airport so I can wander around for a little in town.   I waaaaaay overpacked!!!  Didn’t need my 2 sweaters, didn’t need the nice black pants, didn’t need the 4 shirts I brought to change into for the evening.  Didn’t need one of my leggings.  But, that’s what happens when I take the roller because I can’t put my Allpa in the overheads and I didn’t want to walk around Seattle with it!!!  

OOTD:  the same olive tie dye hoodie (I love it and it doesn’t stink up), Woolx leggings and my black mini skirt, my Moab’s.   

IMG_2299.jpeg

IMG_2301.jpeg

IMG_2302.jpeg

IMG_2305.jpeg

IMG_2307.jpeg

IMG_2308.jpeg

IMG_2318.jpeg

IMG_2322.jpeg

IMG_2328.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Pics uploaded so I’ll add some.

I “dressed” for dinner last night at Tamarind:  my Woolx Tshirt dress, black booties, denim jacket.  I wore the bluish green beaded tassel necklace my owner gave me and the bluish earrings I bought last summer for my grand niece’s wedding.  I looked fairly presentable.  Some of the girls doing service in Tamarind kept coming over and saying they liked the boots.   Anyway,  it was an excellent dinner.  The lobster/shrimp potstickers were tasty and the crispy duck was indeed crispy skin and tender meat.   After a couple left, the girls had me move over to one of the banquettes against the windows so I could watch the sunset.  It was a pretty one.  Went back up to the room, put on my headphones and did some nice musical listening until I fell asleep.

Today is all overcast, but calm water.  I’m just sitting up in the Crow’s Nest, had a latte, and just listening to more music.  Cynthia - today it was the guy taking the orders who was SLOW, the girl making the coffees was very fast.  

I have to pack up tonight - I’m having Port Valet deal with my bag to the airport so I can wander around for a little in town.   I waaaaaay overpacked!!!  Didn’t need my 2 sweaters, didn’t need the nice black pants, didn’t need the 4 shirts I brought to change into for the evening.  Didn’t need one of my leggings.  But, that’s what happens when I take the roller because I can’t put my Allpa in the overheads and I didn’t want to walk around Seattle with it!!!  

OOTD:  the same olive tie dye hoodie (I love it and it doesn’t stink up), Woolx leggings and my black mini skirt, my Moab’s.   

IMG_2299.jpeg

IMG_2301.jpeg

IMG_2302.jpeg

IMG_2305.jpeg

IMG_2307.jpeg

IMG_2308.jpeg

IMG_2318.jpeg

IMG_2322.jpeg

IMG_2328.jpeg

Wow, that was a fast trip. Great pictures Kat

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

Wow, that was a fast trip. Great pictures Kat

I got on the Eurodam last Saturday.  It indeed seemed fast.  I did get the relaxing I needed.  

We’re docked next to the Volendam tonight in Victoria.  She is a small ship!  My cabin is at the back end of their ship and there are still the aft cabins behind me.   I decided to not go into Victoria - It would only be for maybe 2 hours and I just wanted to hit a drug store to get a couple bottles of 400mg Advil.  I can keep taking 4 of my 200mgs at home.  It’s a little drizzly so it just didn’t seem like a worthwhile thing - I’ve been to Victoria a few times and it’s a short evening stop.

I almost fell asleep today up in the Crow’s Nest!  The chairs facing the bow are really comfy and listening to some classical music just was soooo relaxing.  I have to remember to do this when I get home!

OOTD for departure day:  jeans, black & white striped Tshirt, jeans jacket, Chameleons.  The only difference from the embarkation OOTD is black & white vs pink & white Tshirt - same brand.   I noticed there are weight scales outside for the elevator banks on each floor - I guess some people pack so heavy that they need to check.   I at least had 15 lbs of under weight to play with and I don’t think 4 Tshirts and my insulator cap are that much 🙂

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

Good morning......Kat, that was a very fast week!  Sounds like you had a good time🙂 and thanks for sharing the photos with us.

So, anyone else watching the Coronation this morning? I have to say, The UK really does know how to do "Pomp and Circmustance"!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

So, anyone else watching the Coronation this morning? I have to say, The UK really does know how to do "Pomp and Circmustance"!

Yes -- shame about the weather. But then, that's what the weather in the UK is generally like. 😆  Waiting for that "balcony wave" now.

• Like 1