for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

11 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

He had an anterior hip replacement due to femoral head collapse. And I slept wonderfully!

He is very non-compliant. He wants to be further ahead in his healing process without following all the steps properly. He is doing better than I thought he would. He tends to be a bit melodramatic--I call him my Drama King-so I didn't really know how he would do. He got through PT today with just tylenol, no narcotics. Plus, he actually learned how to use the cane he'd been using incorrectly.

It sounds to me like he’s anxious to be active at least he’s listening to pt. Good luck!!!

• Like 1

Hi girls🙂

Well, I filed my claim yesterday to the insurance company for the hotel room. Hoping they are going to reimburse me. They are the same company I used last summer when I hurt my leg and they paid me back everything I had asked for so lets hope they do the same for this claim too.

My next cruise is in November. A TA crossing on a brand new SS ship called NOVA. It is 11 nights with only 1 stop.......sailing from Lisbon to NYC.  My first TA🙂The ship looks AWESOME!!!!

So, Sunday night is the Jose Andreas and Daughters to Spain show. I have seen him on CNN recently and it looks like it is going to be a really good show🙂

• Like 3

Lois, good luck with your claim and congrats on your latest booking. I'll be interested to see how you like it. I'm not such a big fan of lots of sea days, especially in a row. But if you can find a good trans-Atlantic at the right time of year it is almost cheaper than airfare now...  Maybe now that I'm retired I won't feel as much pressure to count the days as "wasted"....LOL.

@PurpleHays  Good luck keeping that husband of yours in line, lol. A good night's sleep always helps...

@slidergirl  I read in a fashion blog I follow about one of Trader Joe's pumpkin specialties this year:  mini pumpkin ginger ice cream cones. I'm not a big fan of pumpkin (well, not even a little fan) but I think you are....

@MrToblerone  I'd forgotten you visited Gythion on your last cruise until I re-read it. What did you do there? I'm looking forward to visiting Sparta.

I fly to Venice a week from today, I've been making my last minute plans and reservations. I can't seem to get the website for St. Marks Basilica to work for me this week, which is frustrating.  (I always try to visit it when I'm in Venice but this time I also want to look at their Treasury, which is a separate ticket and includes many items that the Venetians "plundered" from ancient Constantinople). 

• Like 2

Lois - wow!!  You're a cruisin' machine!  You should have a great time helping to break in the new ship!

Cynthia - have you tried other browsers to get tickets?  I've heard that sometimes Safari won't work right, Chrome won't work, Firefox, DuckDuckGo, etc.  After Venice, where are you heading?  

First day of Fall!  It was 52 in the house this morning.  I refuse to put my heater on yet!  I just wrap up in my fleece throw until it warms up.  Supposed to get to the mid 70s outside so it'll be OK.  

Yes - I was going to mention the Jose Andres show starts Sunday on CNN.  Looking forward to it.  This week I picked up the World Central Kitchen Cookbook by him.  It's much more than a cookbook.  It is also about the WCK, it's origins, it's mission, places they've helped.  A good read.  And, his profits from the book go back into WCK.  If you've never been to one of his restaurants, go to one if you are nearby.   So far, my favorite was the tasting menu I did at The Bazaar in California.  It was pricey, but so good and playful.  If I go to Las Vegas, I'l go to one of his there.  

TJ's - I'm not a fan of all things pumpkin, but there are some favorites.  I don't like pumpkin yogurt so I'm not sure I'd go for the ice cream cones.  I think I like the spices more than the pumpkin.   I do have to get down there though - haven't been for about a month.  I'm out of those root beer bars!  

OOTD:  back to my yellow Laguna Surf hoodie and a pair of Vuori joggers.  I do have to go pick up a prescription sometime today so I will switch over to jeans and a Tshirt.  So happy to find that my jeans that I acquired from my Italian Villa owner still fit after a summer of elastic waists and already-too-big denim shorts.  

• Like 1

Lois I love sea days!  Is this the first cruise for the new ship?  If so there will likely be lots of swag on board. 

I live apple cinnamon but can’t stand pumpkin. I’m making a chunky apple cinnamon bread right now, house smells great 

Kat, we were 37 this morning (house was 65). It’s up to 60 now. Melody

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Lois I love sea days!  Is this the first cruise for the new ship?  If so there will likely be lots of swag on board. 

I live apple cinnamon but can’t stand pumpkin. I’m making a chunky apple cinnamon bread right now, house smells great 

Kat, we were 37 this morning (house was 65). It’s up to 60 now. Melody

It was down to 32 overnight.  I love these days - cold enough to do all my blankets but then still Tshirts in the afternoon.

FedEx me some of that bread!!!  

• Haha 2

We took the day off from everything. It was pretty easy since we are hiding out from Ophelia. She's been pretty easy on us, just 2.25" of gentle rain so far, but it is still raining. Not too much wind.

DH is getting better with his cane-actually using the way he's supposed to. He cooked dinner tonight (veggie beef soup) and cleaned the kitchen. He keeps telling me to go back to work to cure my boredom, but he can't drive yet and I'm not willing to leave him home all day yet. He might do something I don't want him to do yet. . .Men. . .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, nope not the first sailing. She had the Inaugural sailing on August 21st. 

This is my first crossing ever and really looking forward to it.

Bummer, some of the swag on an inaugural is quite nice 

Purple - good to hear that DH is progressing well.  Does he have "medical-looking" cane?  If he's going to using one for awhile, I'd surprise him with a spiffy-looking cane.  Back when I had my shattered leg and into rehab, I bought a cool carbon fiber folding cane.  Had an ice tip on it for winter.  I still have it - when I have a boo-boo and do an ankle sprain, I'l bring it out. 

Ladies - backcountry.com is having a flash sale with some really good pricing on goodies.  If you are looking for vests, jackets, pants, dresses - have a look.  

Looking forward to watching Jose Andres & Family tonight.  I believe it is Barcelona.

Another cold night and morning.  52 in the house.   Overnight, I just unzipped my lightweight Cotopaxi sleeping bag and laid it on the bed.  Slept straight through the night once I did fell asleep.  

OOTD:  hoodie sweatshirt and joggers.  If I go and sit out in the sun, I'll switch to a long sleeve T.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Purple - good to hear that DH is progressing well.  Does he have "medical-looking" cane?  If he's going to using one for awhile, I'd surprise him with a spiffy-looking cane.  Back when I had my shattered leg and into rehab, I bought a cool carbon fiber folding cane.  Had an ice tip on it for winter.  I still have it - when I have a boo-boo and do an ankle sprain, I'l bring it out. 

He has a regular cane-I think it was his Dad's.  He should only have to use if for a couple of months. And he'll get rid of it as soon as possible.

• Like 2

Good morning, did any of you watch Jose Andres and his daughters in Spain last night? I remembered at about 9:15 that it was on..

.I missed the beginning so  I may watch it On Demand again later today. But the rest of it was so good🙂He has definitely lived an interesting life.

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, did any of you watch Jose Andres and his daughters in Spain last night? I remembered at about 9:15 that it was on..

.I missed the beginning so  I may watch it On Demand again later today. But the rest of it was so good🙂He has definitely lived an interesting life.

Yes, I watched it.  He just gushes happiness.  His daughters are very good, too.  Man, the food at El Builli and Dis Fru Tar looked soooooo good.  It reminded me of the 15 course (+3 dessert courses) dinner that I did at his Bazaar restaurant in 2018.  I now see that he uses all his training at El Builli as inspiration for that tasting menu and the tapas he serves there.  I had that croquetta there - OMG, it really is as good as they were making it look as they ate.  My mouth was watering the entire hour of the show!  One thing at the very end that I picked up on because I'm reading his book now:  at the last meal at the vineyard, they were all standing at the table and starting to eat those luscious onions.  He quietly said to his daughters "longer tables."   That is one of his mantras.  To feed more people we need "longer tables."  The mantra has expanded to be "build longer tables, not higher walls."   And, one of the times they were on the vespas to go to breakfast, he said "Bon dia".  Now, I know "Bom Dia" is portugese and "Buenos Dias" is spanish.  I discovered that "Bon dia" is Catlan!!   Definitely made me want to go back to Barcelona to eat (and go see the interior of Sagrada Familia) 😸  This series going to be dangerous to my pocketbook.  

On my CNN feed, right after this show they had Stanley in Naples again.  A nice dessert!   I broke out an aperol spritz to drink while I watched.  Then, there was this deal on a bunch of nutjobs who are into this conspiracy that JFK and JFK Jr are alive and in hiding, or the former pres is Jr,  - all sorts of bizarre stuff.  But it was very interesting, if not disturbing.

Two of the items from the tasting:  2 Olives, one regular, one done Ferran Adria style   and Jose's Taco, jamon iberico and American Caviar.  

IMG_0231.jpeg

IMG_0246.jpeg

• Like 2

I turned my TV to CNN last night to watch, only to realize that in my last round of KISS (keep it simple, stupid), I switched to a lower tier cable package since I don't watch much TV anymore -- and I no longer can get CNN!

I'm hoping maybe I can stream it from CNN website. I'll try tonight. If anyone has other suggestions let me know. (I don't have Hulu or Apple+ or anything other than Netflix and Amazon Prime....)

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Definitely made me want to go back to Barcelona to eat (and go see the interior of Sagrada Familia) 😸  This series going to be dangerous to my pocketbook.  

You should make Barcelona your next destination. Awesome choice for foodies, good wines, great things to see. I like staying in the Gothic Quarter but not right on Las Ramblas. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

I turned my TV to CNN last night to watch, only to realize that in my last round of KISS (keep it simple, stupid), I switched to a lower tier cable package since I don't watch much TV anymore -- and I no longer can get CNN!

I'm hoping maybe I can stream it from CNN website. I'll try tonight. If anyone has other suggestions let me know. (I don't have Hulu or Apple+ or anything other than Netflix and Amazon Prime....)

You should make Barcelona your next destination. Awesome choice for foodies, good wines, great things to see. I like staying in the Gothic Quarter but not right on Las Ramblas. 

I'm thinking "bigly" about it!  Last time I was there, I was the 3rd wheel to my one BFF and her DH.  So, I went where they wanted to go and they definitely eat not very adventurously.   I don't call my self a foodie, but I do like to sample all the variety a place has and try to include one place that has good reviews.   We stayed at the Continental, which is right on Las Ramblas.  I wouldn't stay there again unless I couldn't find another place.  Not my kind of place...

I have some owners at my condos that do the KISS thing now that we got rid of condo-wide service and each has to do their own.  Man, I get soooo many complaints when a guest can't watch a channel!  We had a couple who are both sportscasters on national networks and the hubby went ballistic when he couldn't watch ESPN.     If you have a smart TV, you might be able to use/subscribe to CNN like you do Netfix, etc.  Not sure, but you can try.   In the meantime, I could add more photos of my Jose Andres dinner so you could see the food you missed 😉

• Like 2

• I forgot to mention this:  on a FB group for woolx & wool& clothes, someone mentioned that a "spritzer" made of unflavored vodka and a little water sprayed on your wool things will refresh them after a hot day or you actually stunk up your pits.  Then, a bunch of people said they knew this and did it.  Well, I never knew it!  Sound like a good travel tip!!

Hey, there's a cheap TA on Royal Caribbean on the Explorer (not the newest boat) that would fit in my post-Winter schedule.  Finishes in Barcelona.  Has me twitching.  If anyone sees a TA that embarks AFTER 4/21 (that's my last day of work) and is under $1000 for 1 person, let me know!!!  Finishing in Barelona preferable, but I'd do anywhere and then fly/train to Spain.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi Cynthia, wish I could help with how to watch the show but I have no clue except maybe what you first said. Maybe you can stream it from the CNN website.

So, this weekend you go to Venice..........hope you have a wonderful time

• Thanks 1

My Chico's moved earlier this month and I went to see the new store today. It is the same area but they are in a larger spot now. Actually, this store is only about 5 or 6 stores away from the old one.

And yes, I ended up getting 2 new tops.  I will be taking them both on my TA in November. 

Kat, hope you are able to find a cruise. I think the Explorer is probably 20 years old now........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

If anyone sees a TA that embarks AFTER 4/21 (that's my last day of work) and is under $1000 for 1 person, let me know!!!  Finishing in Barelona preferable, but I'd do anywhere and then fly/train to Spain.  

I'm looking at a site I use frequently to look for available options. I don't see anything under $1000 for a solo (or did you mean before the solo supplement), but I do see these options. 

April 21

Oasis of the Seas: Miami to Barcelona cheapest solo rate $1420

MSC Divina: Miami to Lisbon cheapest solo rate $1278

May 1

Voyager of the Seas: Galveston to Barcelona cheapest solo $1605

Fares tend to drop about 3 months before sailing when final payments are due because a number of people cancel....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:
  • I forgot to mention this:  on a FB group for woolx & wool& clothes, someone mentioned that a "spritzer" made of unflavored vodka and a little water sprayed on your wool things will refresh them after a hot day or you actually stunk up your pits.  Then, a bunch of people said they knew this and did it.  Well, I never knew it!  Sound like a good travel tip!!

I learned that here on the boards but I can’t recall which thread. There was someone that worked on costumes for stage productions…or ballet? And they would use this to refresh the costumes because the fancy costumes couldn’t be laundered in a normal fashion but would be worn night after night…I haven’t tried it yet…I actually didn’t remember it til you mentioned it!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm looking at a site I use frequently to look for available options. I don't see anything under $1000 for a solo (or did you mean before the solo supplement), but I do see these options. 

April 21

Oasis of the Seas: Miami to Barcelona cheapest solo rate $1420

MSC Divina: Miami to Lisbon cheapest solo rate $1278

May 1

Voyager of the Seas: Galveston to Barcelona cheapest solo $1605

Fares tend to drop about 3 months before sailing when final payments are due because a number of people cancel....

I'm talking with supplement.  Unfortunately the 21st I will still be at the resort, buttoning it up for the off season. I saw Voyager.    I'm just looking at TAs because it could be as inexpensive as doing it and paying for airfare back after the vacation.   My poor hamster wheel...

Lois the new Nova looks lovely ,we nearly went on the inaugural but decided 7 nights wasn't long enough ,we prefer 10 .

Good luck with your searching Kat.

Enjoy your cruise Cynthia.

Everyone here seems to be traveling if not having surgery or family having surgery ,such is life as we get older ! 

• Like 2

Cynthia - give me a hint about where you stayed in Barcelona.  And is there a way to give a clue about where you look for cruises without angering the CC police???

I have to go to the State Liquor Store before Sunday and pick up a bottle of Cava!!!  I don't know how to cook any Spanish food so I guess I'll just drink that lovely Spanish sparkling beverage 😸

• Like 1