for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

I made it to Venice despite a very slow and frustrating transit thru CDG on Sunday. Venice is lovely as always - foggy in the morning but clear by afternoon as you can see:

IMG_0375.thumb.jpeg.38236493e57cce0e734e03a926b8eeb4.jpeg

IMG_0443.thumb.jpeg.6e645324c7b656c5fa5ab4ffeb2a2edc.jpeg

I treated myself to lunch at Quadrino on the piazza. A delicious meal and can’t beat the ambiance. For dessert couldn’t resist the “cichetti” (sampler) of desserts. 
IMG_0433.thumb.jpeg.f1d513b4544ec1b6a9cd857e200954c5.jpeg

IMG_0438.thumb.jpeg.6895a0ac9f1b3913393576041093a676.jpeg

IMG_0435.thumb.jpeg.966f3654afb7013ed9f3059691dec456.jpeg

Today I’m off to visit a villa outside Venice then tomorrow I board my cruise!

• Like 4

Lois - good to hear the water culprit has been found and fixed!  Keep that box fan on!  I see leaks at the condos all the time - we bring in ServePro and they use those big fans.  I wonder if a Damp Rid would help - I see them advertised to help get rid of mustiness.  I think they sell at stores with cleaners and such.

Cynthia - yay for reaching Venice.  You had nice looking dessert there!  Did you pay a "premium" for eating on the Piazza?  

My power went out last night around 11pm and didn't come on until 4am!!  Most of us in the neighborhood didn't care since it was bedtime.   Just in case, I brought out my headlamp and camping lights.  My iPhone had enough juice to use for some soothing music to fall asleep.  

Woke up to snow on the hills a mile away.  

OOTD:  an Athleta sweatshirt hoodie and an old pair of sweatpants,  

IMG_2352.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Kat, I decided to call a company I know (like Serve Pro) but they are local and very well known called Process Master.  The guy came over already this afternoon and gave me a really good deal.

He left one of his smaller commercial blowers/fans and sanitized the carpet too. He is letting the fan blow for 2-3 days and charged me 100 bucks.  I am happy. He was able to use his meter to tell how wet the carpet is......not too bad really but by the time he picks up the equipment, either Thursday afternoon or Friday morning, everything should be dry. And the best part, this particular blower is actually drying from underneath......he was able to pick up a corner of the carpet and this sits under it so the floor and padding will dry out too😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Cynthia - yay for reaching Venice.  You had nice looking dessert there!  Did you pay a "premium" for eating on the Piazza?  

I found out about this place before I went last time with my son. The bistro is run by the same team as the Michelin starred restaurant on the floor above which is much grander. But they have the same executive chef, share the same kitchen space, etc. definitely a splurge but also good value for it. Lol, or so I tell myself….

@Lois R glad to hear the water mystery is solved and resolved. 😁

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I made it to Venice despite a very slow and frustrating transit thru CDG on Sunday. Venice is lovely as always - foggy in the morning but clear by afternoon as you can see:

I treated myself to lunch at Quadrino on the piazza. A delicious meal and can’t beat the ambiance. For dessert couldn’t resist the “cichetti” (sampler) of desserts. 

Today I’m off to visit a villa outside Venice then tomorrow I board my cruise!

Have some limoncello for me!

• Like 2

On 10/3/2023 at 3:43 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I made it to Venice despite a very slow and frustrating transit thru CDG on Sunday.

Hi Cruisemom.

Just saw this post and it concerns me.  We are transiting thru CDG on our way to Venice in a few weeks.  Could you tell me what was the delay in CDG?  We only have a 2 1/2 hour layover and want to make sure we make our connection.

thanks

Terri

9 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hi Cruisemom.

Just saw this post and it concerns me.  We are transiting thru CDG on our way to Venice in a few weeks.  Could you tell me what was the delay in CDG?  We only have a 2 1/2 hour layover and want to make sure we make our connection.

thanks

Terri

Hi Terry, that amount of time to transfer should be fine. Mostly CDG works, but when it doesn’t it becomes FUBAR. I think our flight was just unlucky. We arrived at an odd time (around noon) when most early morning flights are done. We had to wait on the tarmac for a gate for quite a while, then they ended up bussing us to the terminal. That seemed to escalate the issues as they bussed us to a gate that was outside of their Schengen zone secured area so all of us transiting passengers ended up having to clear security again AFTER passport control, then we had to make our way to the lower level to wait for the small navettes (mini-vans) to take us to the correct sector.

Hopefully this won’t happen to you. Numerous CDG airport employees were extremely unhelpful guiding us along the process. When asked a direct question one woman just said, “I’m off duty.” She could’ve just pointed us in the right direction…. 🙄

35 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi Terry, that amount of time to transfer should be fine. Mostly CDG works, but when it doesn’t it becomes FUBAR. I think our flight was just unlucky. We arrived at an odd time (around noon) when most early morning flights are done. We had to wait on the tarmac for a gate for quite a while, then they ended up bussing us to the terminal. That seemed to escalate the issues as they bussed us to a gate that was outside of their Schengen zone secured area so all of us transiting passengers ended up having to clear security again AFTER passport control, then we had to make our way to the lower level to wait for the small navettes (mini-vans) to take us to the correct sector.

Hopefully this won’t happen to you. Numerous CDG airport employees were extremely unhelpful guiding us along the process. When asked a direct question one woman just said, “I’m off duty.” She could’ve just pointed us in the right direction…. 🙄

Thanks for you response.

We are on Air France from Atlanta and arriving at 10:20 am and departing at 12:50 pm.  So just 2 1/2 hours.  I did decide to get assistance for the transit only because we tend to be slow.  Air France has something similar to AA's 5 Star service, but much cheaper.  I have only been in CDG twice.  Once as my final destination and another time to fly from there to Rome.  Both times were seamless.  

Worried about the connection.  What did you do for a water taxi?  Did you order one ahead of time?

Thanks for your help.  We have been to Venice a few times, but this time I just feel behind the eight ball.  Don't know why.

Thanks for your help.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

4 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thanks for you response.

We are on Air France and arriving at 10:20 am and departing at 12:50 pm.  So just 2 1/2 hours.  I did decide to get assistance for the transit only because we tend to be slow.  Air France has something similar to AA's 5 Star service, but much cheaper.  I have only been in CDG twice.  Once as my final destination and another time to fly from there to Rome.  Both times were seamless.  

Worried about the connection.  What did you do for a water taxi?  Did you order one ahead of time?

Thanks for your help.  We have been to Venice a few times, but this time I just feel behind the eight ball.  Don't know why.

Thanks for your help.

Terri

In Venice I stayed on Piazzale Roma as I knew my cruise check in was going to be at Marittima port (the old Venice port) and we’d be bussed from there to Fusina. I took the ACTV express bus to Piazzale Roma direct from the airport. It’s right outside baggage claim and far less walking than Alilaguna or a water taxi.

Getting to the port I was going to use the People Mover but met a lovely S. African couple at the hotel who had arranged a land taxi and offered to share. It dropped us right at the Azamara terminal for check-in.

27 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

In Venice I stayed on Piazzale Roma as I knew my cruise check in was going to be at Marittima port (the old Venice port) and we’d be bussed from there to Fusina. I took the ACTV express bus to Piazzale Roma direct from the airport. It’s right outside baggage claim and far less walking than Alilaguna or a water taxi.

Getting to the port I was going to use the People Mover but met a lovely S. African couple at the hotel who had arranged a land taxi and offered to share. It dropped us right at the Azamara terminal for check-in.

We are staying in Venice for 5 days and then moving to Florence for another 5 days and then Rome for another 6.  Then we are doing a transatlantic back to Miami. So we are staying in Carnareggio (the Ghetto).  It’s a very quiet area.  We’ve stayed there before and the hotel is very nice.  So we need a water taxi.  We will have considerable luggage given the length of time of our trip.

We will have to get some assistance in Venice.

Thanks again for your help.

Terri

• Like 2

Well I’m glad this wasn’t a cruise to Israel or the SE Med. Everyone is talking about the events here onboard. Today we arrive in Corfu around 1pm for a shortish day which is fine as I’ve been here 3x on past cruises. I’m going to visit the archaeological museum which is now in a palace where Prince Philip (the husband of Queen Elizabeth) was born.

Two days ago my visit to Pula was wonderful. Most of my pics are on my camera but here’s one of the approach to the amphitheatre, which is one of the largest and most complete outside Italy.

IMG_0498.thumb.jpeg.04953035dbdd55d2230b222d69431818.jpeg

I had some delicious seared tuna for dinner last night. It was an appetizer; wish I’d ordered two and called it dinner!

IMG_0503.thumb.jpeg.3437e696db5ab6f307bf32a2bbb1d57f.jpeg

• Like 2

Good morning........Cynthia, I agree with Melody, that tuna looks fantastic😀

And as for cruising to Israel or the region? My sis and bil are flying to Rome next week for a cruise and Israel was on the itinerary but as of yesterday, it has been removed.

Cynthia, hope you are having a good cruise😀

Hi to everyone else too........hope all of you are doing well.

• Like 1

Let's make it a triple on the tuna!  Seared tuna!  Yes!

For Israel, I just hope that the innocent civilians in Gaza can make it to the beach/shoreline in time.  There really isn't any other place for them to try to evacuate there.  No power, gas, food - it's going to be rough for them.  Now, please note I said "innocent civilians".

Been doing some more work in the kitchen.  Clearing out the very old spices, trying to make some room for other things.  Moving my cookware that I've had since the 90s into storage in the garage so I have room for my new My Place stuff that currently just sits on the stove.  I really love that stuff.  I just need to buy a small vertical storage rack for the few bottles of wine that I keep in the kitchen to take them off the counter (they lay down, not standing up, to keep the cork moist).  There's a system on Amazon that I like: I'm going to wait until the Prime Member days this week to see if there's a discount before I buy.  And, I may go to Ikea this week down in the South End of the Valley to buy some storage things to put on my little island to make all the food stuff I keep on there looking a little more neat.  

It's hard to dress right now - 40s in the morning to 70s in the afternoon.  Still not cold enough to be comfortable wearing one of my sweatshirts when I go out for the day.  Have to go with Tshirt and then a zip jacket to start.   House is in the low 50s when I wake up and maybe 61 when I go to bed at night so it's definitely sweatshirt time in the house all day. 

Food thing:  if you like hummus and you like spicy, I have something new for you. TJ's have a hummus that has a big dollop of Chili Onion Crunch in the middle of the container.  Soooo good!!!  I don't mix it up, but I put a scoop of the hummus on my Pita chip then dip it into the Crunch.   I'll be able to make this at home myself with plain hummus and add some from my jar of Chili Onion Crunch.  The Crunch you can find just about everywhere now.  I like to use it on my potstickers and rice noodles. 

• Like 1

Lois I’m sure you’re disappointed in not getting to Israel, I’m glad you’re not going this trip!  I have a good friend who was taking her grands to Israel & Jordan on Oct 12…needless to say the trip has been cancelled 

8 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Lois I’m sure you’re disappointed in not getting to Israel, I’m glad you’re not going this trip!  I have a good friend who was taking her grands to Israel & Jordan on Oct 12…needless to say the trip has been cancelled 

Hi Melody, I wasn't going there. It was my sister and Bil.

I don't think I ever posted this before on here but I lived in Israel back in the 70s for a year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, I wasn't going there. It was my sister and Bil.

I don't think I ever posted this before on here but I lived in Israel back in the 70s for a year.

Ah I read it as your sis & you, (what I get for reading without coffee!). I have several friends that have lived or in Israel. Tgat must’ve been an interesting time for you

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Ah I read it as your sis & you, (what I get for reading without coffee!). I have several friends that have lived or in Israel. Tgat must’ve been an interesting time for you

Good morning, yes........I was about 20 years old and thought I could help "change the world"......

maybe at one time or another many young people think that way.....little did we know.......☹️

I lived on a Kibbutz near Haifa and Nazareth, which is in the northern part of the country. 

• Like 1

We’re continuing to have wonderful warm weather, blue skies, and smooth seas. Today was Argostoli; I only got off the ship briefly and looked around—it’s more of a scenic place than a historical one and it looks very modern as it was completely rebuilt after an earthquake some 40 years ago.

Tomorrow is Sparta!!! 

@slidergirl this chili crunch you mention, is it from TJs? It sounds up my alley…

Last night I dined at the table next to the captain who was entertaining some guests. He had to excuse himself around 9pm to go oversee our departure from Corfu. 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

We’re continuing to have wonderful warm weather, blue skies, and smooth seas. Today was Argostoli; I only got off the ship briefly and looked around—it’s more of a scenic place than a historical one and it looks very modern as it was completely rebuilt after an earthquake some 40 years ago.

Tomorrow is Sparta!!! 

@slidergirl this chili crunch you mention, is it from TJs? It sounds up my alley…

Last night I dined at the table next to the captain who was entertaining some guests. He had to excuse himself around 9pm to go oversee our departure from Corfu. 😉

Sparta!!!  Exciting!!

The chili crunch is made by all sorts of folks.  The first one I knew about was by Momofuku  But the one from TJ's is excellent, too, and easily half the price.  I need to put some in my eggs sometime, but I'm in love with putting Chipotle sauce on them!

OOTD:  long sleeve Tshirt under my overalls, pink hightops.  My Sweaty Betty cammo pink/green fleece jacket is on top until it warms up into the 50s.  

• Like 1

Im glad you are enjoying your cruise Cynthia , sounds lovely.

Lois glad youve sorted your leak.

Everyone else hello and You all have Halloween to look forward to .

That hummus sounds delicious Kat.

My husband and I are at the lake for a few nights doing lots of jobs , the garden is mainly self caring but grows so fast .

We are also finding it cool after our week in Fiji with the family , its Spring here but still seems very cool , hopefully it will warm up

soon .

Its so nice having time off before my new job starts next week

• Like 2

Be sure to hit up the Prime Days sale today and tomorrow.  Some good things for travel are there on sale.

Went down to Ikea yesterday.  Man, that place is like TJ's to me!!!  I got the wooden crates I wanted to organize the top of my kitchen island.  There was a wine rack that works in the spot on my kitchen floor that I bought.  A new bathroom mat for in front of my sink.  Another pillow for my bed.  New oven mitts.  Batteries.  Bag  clips.  A Christmas Gnome.  Meatballs.  I had to stop myself!!!  I suddenly remembered why I don't go there often!!!  To add to the shopping "pain", since I was down in the Valley, I stopped by TJ's and picked up more Lobster Bisque, cranberry goat cheese, some pre-made salads.  Probably the first time I left under $100.  Weather was wild - it was upper 40s here when I left and when I left the Valley it was 82 down there.   Tomorrow we have a Winter Storm Advisory!!!!!