for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

12 hours ago, sjb317 said:

It just seems like yesterday that I turned 65 and now I am getting close to the next big one!😂😂😂

I hope you have a wonderful birthday and enjoy your time with your sister and Bil.

Sherri🙂 

Thanks Sherri🙂

7 hours ago, WELDON said:

Lois, Hope you have a wonderful birthday Saturday. It's nice you have family coming to celebrate with you. Yes, it's true when you look back and wonder where have all the years gone.

Janet

Thanks Janet🙂

1 minute ago, awhfy said:

Happy 65th Lois. Hope you have a happy & healthy year!!  Melody 

AC89C6BF-526A-4C94-8E89-C1C1D49E23BF.jpeg

Hi Melody, thanks so much...omg, that looks delicious!🙂

• Like 1

GREAT NEWS😀........My application for financial assistance for my cancer medication has been approved😀😀. My social worker at my Cancer Facility just called to let me know! Boy, that is one thing no longer weighing on my mind!

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Lois R said:

GREAT NEWS😀........My application for financial assistance for my cancer medication has been approved😀😀. My social worker at my Cancer Facility just called to let me know! Boy, that is one thing no longer weighing on my mind!

Wow!  That is definitely fantastic news!!!  What a great Birthday present!!  Now, take a big breath and let out a big happy whoop!

Ladies - Cynthia got my hamster wheel spinning on Alaska.  don't know why, but I started looking,  The Konigsdam would be a little much with flying in/out of Vancouver.  BUT, the cruise on the Eurodam in/out of Seattle is better.  I'd have to have my balcony to have my own space.  I can do cruise, airfare, 1 night hotel in Seattle for $3000, less if I use some points for hotel & flight.  By now you all know me:  I'm a loner, I do love the outdoors, I just like wandering.  what do you think?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Wow!  That is definitely fantastic news!!!  What a great Birthday present!!  Now, take a big breath and let out a big happy whoop!

Ladies - Cynthia got my hamster wheel spinning on Alaska.  don't know why, but I started looking,  The Konigsdam would be a little much with flying in/out of Vancouver.  BUT, the cruise on the Eurodam in/out of Seattle is better.  I'd have to have my balcony to have my own space.  I can do cruise, airfare, 1 night hotel in Seattle for $3000, less if I use some points for hotel & flight.  By now you all know me:  I'm a loner, I do love the outdoors, I just like wandering.  what do you think?  

I think you should definitely go for it😀....you know I am a loner too LOL......if it looks like something you want to do? GO FOR IT GIRL😀

And thanks for the birthday wishes too......and yes, it is fantastic news!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slidergirl said:

By now you all know me:  I'm a loner, I do love the outdoors, I just like wandering.  what do you think?  

Alaska is very much about the outdoors. The only thing to understand is that nowadays the immediate port areas are quite built up/touristy compared to what they were many years ago when I first went (1977). If you can get past those areas, Alaska is still a great place for appreciating the outdoors, nature, etc.

Is the Eurodam doing the inside passage? That makes for great viewing from the ship. Definitely great to lounge on a balcony and watch the shore and the wildlife. Which area are they doing for their "scenic viewing" day?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Alaska is very much about the outdoors. The only thing to understand is that nowadays the immediate port areas are quite built up/touristy compared to what they were many years ago when I first went (1977). If you can get past those areas, Alaska is still a great place for appreciating the outdoors, nature, etc.

Is the Eurodam doing the inside passage? That makes for great viewing from the ship. Definitely great to lounge on a balcony and watch the shore and the wildlife. Which area are they doing for their "scenic viewing" day?

Ok, Ok.  I did it.  After doing my taxes I decided I definitely needed it.  

Not doing Inside Passage.  Doing Glacier Bay and Stevens Passage.  

Booked it, used points for my flights & hotel.   Took the sting out a little.

I just have to remember to take my binoculars - haven't used them since Kenya.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Ok, Ok.  I did it.  After doing my taxes I decided I definitely needed it.  

Not doing Inside Passage.  Doing Glacier Bay and Stevens Passage.  

Booked it, used points for my flights & hotel.   Took the sting out a little.

I just have to remember to take my binoculars - haven't used them since Kenya.

Nice!!!!!  Glacier Bay is a big plus.

22 hours ago, Lois R said:

Now that’s a great bday gift!!!

• Like 1

Congratulations on booking the cruise Kat ,its always good to have something to look forward to !

Happy belated birthday Lois and great news about your cancer medicine being funded .

Im going for my first check up next week but Im thankful that my hair is starting to grow although very slowly.I am hoping to have a pixie cut by the time we cruise in July

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Happy St Patrick’s Day everyone. I made corned beef and cabbage when we were in Minneapolis so licking up take out for tonight. 

Lois, happy 65th! Wishing you a special celebration and an enjoyable visit with your family. I join the others in saying that the approval for help with the drug cost is fantastic. Certainly arrived at just the right time. 

Kat, an Alaskan cruise sounds perfect for you. Glad you booked. Something special to look forward to. I get emails from HAL and saw some good deals. 

Melissa, sending good thoughts your way for your check up. 

Melody, how are you doing?

Cynthia, hope your packing is going well. Packing for that many days is daunting.

Anita, good to see you posting. Congrats to your son and to you and DH also!

Sherri and Redbird, hope all is good with both of you. 

More rain on the way next week. So many evacuations all over CA-sigh…..

Sharon

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Oooohhhh…I’m jelly over here for your Alaska cruise! 

I look a look at the HAL site and if I saw what your itinerary is you get to go to Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, and Icy Strait Point?

Yep, and cruise Glacier Bay.   And, just wander around Victoria.  It's been awhile since I've been there.  

I've got $100 credit toward an excursion if I want, but I'm not an excursion person.  There are food walks in 2 of the ports that I could always do if wanted to do something.  Mendenhall Glacier doesn't interest me as I've walked on Athabasca Glacier in Jasper NP In Canada and got to some glaciers in Austria.  

I may get out of here without spending much more - I have $200 OBC and the $11 max beverage package.  And, I have 1 specialty dinner (thinking Tamarind) if I so choose.  Not much else needed.  

We got the official word today that Deer Valley is staying open until April 23 so that is my new last day.  I've lived up here since 1988 an this is the first time DV has extended the season.  But, it's going to be totally lazy days at the Lodge with only 3 owners on the books for now.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I've got $100 credit toward an excursion if I want, but I'm not an excursion person.  There are food walks in 2 of the ports that I could always do if wanted to do something.

Most things in Alaska you can figure out how to do on your own. But if you do want to get out on a smaller boat to see some nature up close, it's a way to use that credit.

Sitka is my favorite Alaska port, because of the Russian history (and beautiful spruce trees). Easy to walk around on your own. First two times I visited, there was no port facility, ships just tendered passengers into town. It was such a pretty approach. Now you arrive at a port facility and take a shuttle into town. Still nice though....

Here's a video showing what to expect, how to get to the town on your own and some of the sights:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytN8Ff93w88

• Like 1

Here’s my foot update. I’m assiduously doing my pt. I go in once a week, rest is at home. They took me out of the boot (unless there’s snow & of course we’ve had snow since they told me that!!). I can immerse my foot on Monday, I’m really looking forward to a bath!!!  I’m recovering well & my balance is so much improved already. Thank you all for the comments & support, it’s much appreciated. Melody

• Like 4

Good morning, Melody, glad you are doing better🙂

Sharon, thanks for the birthday wishes and always good to hear from you and hope you are not being flooded out.....the rains out there are looking TERRIBLE... Be safe!

Kat, just in case you are interested, there is a Museum in Juneau that is very interesting. I think Cynthia recommended it to me last year? Or it might have been 2 years ago LOL......I walked to it from the port so it wasn't all that far away.  I can't remember the name of it though😮 And maybe you are already familiar with it......I enjoyed it though. 

Melissa, wishing you all the best.🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Here’s my foot update. I’m assiduously doing my pt. I go in once a week, rest is at home. They took me out of the boot (unless there’s snow & of course we’ve had snow since they told me that!!). I can immerse my foot on Monday, I’m really looking forward to a bath!!!  I’m recovering well & my balance is so much improved already. Thank you all for the comments & support, it’s much appreciated. Melody

Great to hear that you are making such good progress. Doing the PT is so important!

• Like 1

This is my last weekend before departure (leaving next Friday morning for Haneda airport and Yokohama). I'm not going into Tokyo this time -- have done it up twice and this time I want to take it easier for the two nights until I board the Westerdam.

I am feeling a little 😱 right now looking at all I have to do between now and then. I have to work through Thursday, so I'm trying to get as much done today and tomorrow as I can...

• Like 1

Way to go , Melody! You are making great progress.

Deep breaths, Cynthia.  No matter how well I plan, I always feel rushed and stressed as departure date approaches but somehow it always works out. Sending good wishes that it will be the same for you.

Lois, hope you are having a great day. I think you might be thinking of the Alaska State Museum. We’ve been there and it was walkable.  More rain ahead and so far we are not in any flood zones. Not so for many others as you have seen in news reports. Thank you so much for your concern.

• Like 2

You have rain on the way, I have more snow ahead.  Towns and cities up here are starting to think about the potential of flooding when the thaw happens.  Last time there was this much snow (actually we've surpassed it), there was massive flooding down in Salt Lake City - they took sandbags and turned the main N/S street downtown, State Street, into a "river" to cope with the flooding from City Creek and others.  

Melody - keep on keepin' on!!!  PT is a hard thing to keep engaging in at your best, I know.  I did a year 3/week for my shattered leg.  If I had gone at it half-a$$ed, I wouldn't be walking!  Enjoy that first bath/shower unencumbered!!

Lois - I hadn't even started looking at stuff.  I just picked this cruise out of the sky when Cynthia mentioned it.  My first thought are always food, it seems.   I remember Anita doing a car museum which had those period dresses for the ladies, too.   I was already going to just walk through Sitka because I was definitely interested in the Russian history.  

Cynthia - you're going to have a magnificent time with your Japan cruise!  It's a long time to be gone that far away!  

At least with me, I've got jeans, pants, leggings, insulated mini skirts, vests, jackets and shirts to go.  I should fit right in with Alaska!  The big thing is which wool hat to take and do I take my tie-dye boots or my trail runners (both GoreTex'd).  I did forget I have to buy a new rain shell - when I last wore mine it was, well, less than water-proof.  It is 10 years old, after all!  Sales abound right now for that kind of stuff so I just have to figure out which one I want (I've got a 20% off 1 full price item at REI and a Patagonia outlet nearby).   With our season extended, I'll have a whopping 4 days to get everything packed and stuff at home done before I fly out.  No pressure...

• Like 3