Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

3 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Just an iPhone and the rapidly fading light. I should’ve cropped it. 

Don't think so. It has a sort of vintage effect. The resolution of the ship cropped would have been poor and you would have lost the lighting.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, D&N said:

Don't think so. It has a sort of vintage effect. The resolution of the ship cropped would have been poor and you would have lost the lighting.

No it really was just an accident of the light - it was pretty dim, so the camera adjusted. The resolution is poor - optical 2.5x zoom but then digitally zoomed. 

London update: St. Martin’s in the field for a family carol singing concert last night that was great fun. A little 2 year old stood in the aisle with his super small violin and bow and conducted and played along. Too cute! Singers were as excellent as anticipated, gotta love John Rutter. 700 santa’s on BMX bikes went by and walked through a demonstration at Trafalgar square. Pub was fun, but could barely get out due to the match. It was a quiet night due to English loss. This morning was Claridge’s for brunch and a trip to Hedonism wines to take on-board. Cold, but dry. I can handle that! @Host Hattie where are you? @ronpes I assume you have snow. @Lanky Lad Glad you can walk to work on Monday. @buchanan101 I like the picture no matter what you say!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, techteach said:

London update: St. Martin’s in the field for a family carol singing concert last night that was great fun. A little 2 year old stood in the aisle with his super small violin and bow and conducted and played along. Too cute! Singers were as excellent as anticipated, gotta love John Rutter. 700 santa’s on BMX bikes went by and walked through a demonstration at Trafalgar square. Pub was fun, but could barely get out due to the match. It was a quiet night due to English loss. This morning was Claridge’s for brunch and a trip to Hedonism wines to take on-board. Cold, but dry. I can handle that! @Host Hattie where are you? @ronpes I assume you have snow. @Lanky Lad Glad you can walk to work on Monday. @buchanan101 I like the picture no matter what you say!

Hi sounds like fun. We are in Surrey and it’s been freezing fog all day. Very cold. 
glad you are having a great time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, techteach said:

Glad you had a terrific day in London. I have been away far too long. I need a fix. Maybe March. I have decided to cancel the Viking Mississippi, and will have a generous refund that should buy a First Return on B.A. and a long weekend in the UK.

Still working on the Christmas decorations. I will finish the tree today with the small jeweled ornaments from Gumps, and Fortnum and Mason. I got nine new Halcyon Days Baubles this year, with 4 for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, including two large 5 inch, as opposed to the usual 4 inch. One in red and platinum, another in blue and platinum with the flowers of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland truly one of the nicest they have ever made.

I had my back to the tree putting a hanger on a bauble and I heard what sounded like a gun shot. When I turned to see what had happened, the Large Blue Bauble was lying in pieces on the floor. I picked up the pieces, vacuumed the shards and went to Halcyon Days to see if it was still available. One is being fabricated and will be sent in one to three weeks at great expense. Maybe before Christmas, maybe not. but I will have it for future years, and will carefully put it on the tree next time.

The Christmas dinner is underway. A two bone Prime Rib Roast is reserved at the butcher, The Veuve Clicquot is in the wine larder. The French Steamed Chestnuts are waiting to be made into soup, and I will get most of the other things I need this coming week.

We had thunder and lightning from six last night through five this morning with nearly 3 inches of rain in the gauge. It's in the high 60s' (f) today so we are spared the intense cold that friends are reporting from the UK. It works for me, as I get older, I enjoy the warm so much better. 

One of the interesting things about the low water in the MIssissippi, is that the mud plume that usually coats the upper gulf coast from the river is missing and the Gulf water is a lovely blue green. 

I hope our English pals keep warm and enjoy the frosty pre Christmas days. 

@Bigmike911 I thought of you yesterday at Fortnum & Mason. We shipped 2 baskets. So sorry for your loss of a prized tree bobble. Most of ours did not go up this year due to the 2 year old grandson who loves to move them from spot to spot. We just finished dinner at Locondo Locatelli and walked back to Mayfair through serious snow. There is a quarter of an inch on our terrace. My, you did get lots of rain. Remember, they are quarters in your pocket. Our dinners had to be planned prior to departure since we return on the 22nd. My lasagna has been a Christmas Eve tradition since the children were little. Prime Rib is for New Years, although the children are demanding our Chinese New Years Feast. It will happen if they contribute, which sounds like they will.  I hope we run into each other someday on-board. Happy Holidays!

On 12/11/2022 at 4:10 PM, techteach said:

@Host Hattie where are you?

Sorry I didn't get chance to answer you, we had lunch at The Swan at The Globe. Apart from travelling to and from the restaurant I didn't see much of the city. I tried out the Elizabeth line for the first time and got a bus from Farringdon round St Paul's Cathedral.

20221211_135746.jpg

20221211_154633.jpg

20221211_154717.jpg

20221211_154636.jpg

• Like 1

Hattie's post just reminded me .............

We visited relatives in London at end of November. We normally take the Underground (Piccadilly Line) to Holborn as that is near their home and the two hotels we use.

This time we took the Elizabeth Line to Tottenham Court Road, which possibly added 150 metres to our walk but cut at least 20 mins off our travel time and was much more comfortable with more space for luggage. It cost nearly twice the fare on the Underground but nowhere near the price of Heathrow Express, which also requires a change of transport mode at Paddington at extra cost.

We'll definitely be using it in future.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2BACRUISER said:

It's  -7c here in Yorkshire no snow thank goodness but everything is proper frozen. Have arms like an orangutan from carrying buckets of water to the Livestock.  Hard being a farmer in winter. Oh to be on a queen sipping something fizzy. 🥂🍾

Much colder out of the cities - but only -3C in the city!  But I have seen some great pictures from up in the Dales.

Getting home from my first Cunard cruise on Sunday was a nightmare.  Heavy snow at home in Gloucestershire and it was touch and go getting up the hill to the village where I live.  Photo of my garden on Sunday below and had to leave car on the main road and drag my luggage down the footpath!  Worse was to come though.  After nearly three years dodging Covid, the gods have punished me for taking my first holiday since early 2019, as I tested positive yesterday 😞

3F909B3A-3778-4E87-894E-598881C2B405.jpeg

• Like 1