credit card shenanigans at Rio airport recently

cbb

A Heads up!   (friends suggested I post here.  I've already posted in the roll-call)

We had our credit card # compromised at the Rio Airport returning from ATW20.   "They" charged $1 to the card--an attempt to see if the card was active. The card never left Dave's sight but still......

Fortunately our card company alerted us and the account has been closed and we are receiving new cards.

You might want to check your statement today if you found yourself at the Rio airport recently.  Don't know how long this has been a problem.

Yes, IME Brazil is notorious for debit (ATM) and credit card fraud.  I've only been there 4 times, but in each case when contacting my providers to provide travel notes both Schwab and Chase have warned me about widespread fraud and Schwab recommended I not use my ATM card there. One of the few countries I only use my CC for Marriott hotel stays and get Reals via cash exchange instead of ATM.  In the case of shore excursions I have paid with Reals or USD or in advance online with paypal; and could also pay with GBP or Euros if needed.

last year  when we returned  from the TA  NYC to SOU

DH had a "test "  on his CC    our credit card company  shut  his card down

The test  was from building store in NY ...

who knows how they got the card as we never used our CC  there 

Went from airport to prepaid car service  to the ship  never had the card out of his pocket

I use  an RFID sleeve on my cards  DH does not (this is the 2nd time his has been compromised )

What can I say LOL

"they" was/were the bad guy(s) at Rio airport.   According to Mr. Wonderful, my in-house tech guy,  it is a common way of testing the account # and when the $1.00 amount was approved "they" were successful.  Credit card personnel was on top of it immediately.  

And yes, the credit card companies all knew we were traveling ATW. Just keep checking your statements regularly. 

Edited by cbb

Dave had bought lunch at a Subway (!) in the Rio airport and used the card for that purchase; it was never out of his sight but # was captured in some way. 

This was just a heads up to warn others it can happen despite our best attempts.  Appears that current events will keep us out of airports, restaurants and stores for some time anyway!!!

We try to have cash for  small places    even airport kiosks/restaurants   

We have tap & go  in most places  here & when in Europe last year it was the way to pay there as well

We have the card in hand  when paying

1 hour ago, cbb said:

Dave had bought lunch at a Subway (!) in the Rio airport and used the card for that purchase; it was never out of his sight but # was captured in some way. 

We had same issue. Used CC to pay a bag fee with GOL airlines, somehow number got filched. CC company sorted it. Test charge allegedly came from hardware company in Arizona. 

More unsettling to us (and fellow cruisers) was that about half the ATMs in the crummy barn that they call a cruise terminal didn't work. They got you all the way to the last step with your debit card before saying the transaction could not be completed. (PIN in.) We only tried one machine. Others tried several. AFAIK nobody had any post-trip drama out of our group of CC friends, but it was un-nerving.

This might have nothing to do with where you were.  Or if a 'real' card was even involved. The bad guys have more ways than the good guys. I'm guessing we have this happen every year and a half to two years when not traveling.

BTW, Subway sucks 🙂 Plus in the completely refurbished Rio Jobim airport you have wonderful choices of food.

We had to do take out because we 

were on the aborted ATW so had massive amounts of luggage with us

American airlines would not open for service until 3 hrs before flight to Miami which was 8:45 pm. 

So...no check in, meant no AA lounge. We were sitting in chairs with our stuff from 9:30 until 5:45.  Trust me, Subway take out was wonderful at 1pm

• Like 1