NEW UA refund/extension policy 4-16

Hawaiidan

Ok..... this past few days and it is a BIG change at UAL/ Star alliance .

Normally, if you have a  non refundable fare in coach or business you have 12 months from its date of issue.      However if you  have one of those  you have up to midnight April 30  to call and get it changed to 24 months from date of issue  ALso   All fees are waved for the change  which will save you 200 to 400 pp !!!      

This means if O  cancels your Sept--dec cruise  your not going to loose your airfare  this year  you have another entire year to apply it to any cruise in the world.  Takes a lot of pressure off

Dan;

Take a breath and closely re read the new UA offering. It is clearly not what you stated.

I’m sitting on BC tickets on UA for a canceled cruise that must be addressed. The options are:

1. I can change those tickets, with no charge, for flights up to the issue date of the tickets; or;

2. I can take a full credit for the amount of those tickets up through the end of 2022.

I will have to take option 2. I rescheduled my canceled cruise to July 2021. There are no assurances that the flights will cost the same in 2021 as my credit. I will have a credit, to use as I need, but that credit doesn’t guarantee a similar flight.

Edited by pinotlover

27 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Dan;

Take a breath and closely re read the new UA offering. It is clearly not what you stated.

I’m sitting on BC tickets on UA for a canceled cruise that must be addressed. The options are:

1. I can change those tickets, with no charge, for flights up to the issue date of the tickets; or;

2. I can take a full credit for the amount of those tickets up through the end of 2022.

I will have to take option 2. I rescheduled my canceled cruise to July 2021. There are no assurances that the flights will cost the same in 2021 as my credit. I will have a credit, to use as I need, but that credit doesn’t guarantee a similar flight.

.....I just did it    they took my dec 28 2019  bus class ticket and extended it to  Dec 29 2021     Used the premier line  and asked for the 24 month extention  on $8000 in fare !!!  plus  NO change fee deduction........Merry Christmas to all     It is clearly what I said and what UA just did for me not 4 hours ago....     will do it for you till April 30

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

.....I just did it    they took my dec 28 2019  bus class ticket and extended it to  Dec 29 2021     Used the premier line  and asked for the 24 month extention  on $8000 in fare !!!  plus  NO change fee deduction........Merry Christmas to all     It is clearly what I said and what UA just did for me not 4 hours ago....     will do it for you till April 30

I did it today - one award and one paid ticket cancelled - easy-peasy, no fees.

Kudos to United.

16 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Kudos to United.

Paul, can I ask if your cancelled UA flight was related to a cancelled Cruise ,or you haven't cancelled cruise yet? I have a cruise in mid-august, and (Miles) flight with UA , neither cancelled yet

17 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

thanks for the info Dan.

I have two UA tickets that I need to change. This helps immensely. 

Edited by TrulyBlonde

Getting the full voucher is the easy part. 

We don’t know what flying will look like in 12 months. Already some discussion on whether the airlines will be allowed to go back to passenger crammed in planes. More separation will equal less capacity = more competition for seats, then most likely higher fares for those remaining seats. 

My only point was that yes, I will get a voucher for the $3100 per person BC seats. Since my July cruise was rebooked to next July, I can’t just do a free flight change, I will take the voucher. My guess is finding those same Polaris BC seats for next July, is going to cost considerably more than $3100 each. That may buy a PE seat by then.

30 minutes ago, docmark said:

Paul, can I ask if your cancelled UA flight was related to a cancelled Cruise ,or you haven't cancelled cruise yet? I have a cruise in mid-august, and (Miles) flight with UA , neither cancelled yet

My flights were not cruise related at all - they were for family visit to Midwest for October.

Award got redeposited w/o a fee; paid ticket got a voucher good for 24 months.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 10:17 AM, Paulchili said:

Kudos to United.

I guess Pintlover had a few too many pints when he  boldly  said I did not know what I was talking about........Glad you and  Truly blond discovered the truth in my post and easily got the extensions.

Edited by Hawaiidan

2 hours ago, B-2-Bs Best! said:

Is the value of the transfer the fare paid, e.g. $200? So, if the transfer is more, you pay the difference?

Thanks!

I have to travel by Jan 22/2022 for my UA tickets. Ours were for domestic travel (one rewards ticket and one paid ticket). This was not for a cruise but our own personal vacation. Here is what we received from UA:

We've processed your cancellation.
Since your travel plans have changed, here's what to do next. Please keep this email receipt and your confirmation number. You may have flight credit — it depends on when you booked and the rules around your ticket. Make sure you see our Important notices page for the latest information on travel flexibility, restrictions, and your ticket, as situations are changing due to coronavirus.

If you have a flight credit, you'll need the confirmation number from this email when you're ready to travel again. Just enter the confirmation number on My Trips. Change fees may apply unless you qualify for a change fee waiver.

Just completed my cancellation. Here are the options:

1.  Take the credit and rebook a new flight up to 15 months of original booking date. Then flight will be within 11 months of that date. You keep your old Flight confirmation number and rebook as a change flight with no change fees.

Utilizing this option, flights or combination of flights can be on UA or any Star Alliance member.

2.  Take the credit to receive a voucher which you can use to rebook flights within 24 months of voucher issue.

Utilizing this option , all flights must be on UA flights only. No Star Alliance partner flights allowed.

One must choose Option 1 or 2 at time of cancellation. I called the UA desk, since trying to do it online was confusing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KS&JW said:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/booking/flight/travel-credits.html#future-flight

This is a good summary of the differences between Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC) and Future Flight Credits (FCC) for United.  

Of course the devil is in the details- ie the rules are different for international versus domestic flights. 

This thread on Flyertalk helps with those details 

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2015432-choosing-between-ua-electronic-travel-certificate-etc-vs-future-flight-credit-ffc.html.

We had international flights. The UA agent told me we had 15 months from original purchase date to change to a new flight with the ETC. Even gave me the exact date by which the new reservations must be made.

The Agent also said international travel on the Issued FCC must be on UA metal. Flyertalker spoke of a complicated workaround on that matter. Can’t comment.

Seems we get different answers from different people including UA personnel!

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

We had international flights. The UA agent told me we had 15 months from original purchase date to change to a new flight with the ETC. Even gave me the exact date by which the new reservations must be made.

The Agent also said international travel on the Issued FCC must be on UA metal. Flyertalker spoke of a complicated workaround on that matter. Can’t comment.

Seems we get different answers from different people including UA personnel!

Yes, I think the situation is very fluid at this point which causes all the confusion when you call United.