Ships returning to Europe

cockneyjock

1 hour ago, crazyank said:

Where else in Europe is this quarantine in place?  What specific countries?

I'm none-too-sure whether you ask because you want to know or because you don't believe what you've been told.:classic_huh:

But whatever your reason I doubt any CC member can give you that information for every country - you need to check the web for the terms for each country individually.

Some, like Italy & France, require 14-days quarantine for those from outside the Schengen area..

Many, like Spain & Belgium (& I think Germany, but you should know better than I) have borders closed but with exceptions for truck drivers etc, and for those transiting through the country who can prove their onward destination.

As with pretty-well everything to do with COVID-19, the situation is fluid and the situation now may be different tomorrow.

Or even an hour from now

We think a decision whether to quarantine those arriving in the UK will be announced around 7pm this-evening 

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

Are you sure about that, Dave? :classic_huh:

Their website says that because of seriously-reduced flights they closed the North Terminal to operate all flights from South Terminal, but no mention of a complete passenger shut-down.

BTW, Both Virgin and BA have said that it's likely that even after the pandemic they'll cease operations out of LGW & consolidate at LHR because they expect much lower demand for future air travel.

Good news for those who live under the flight-path, bad news for everyone else.

I apologise, not closed. According to the Gatwick flight arrivals two flights will arrive this afternoon, one from Dublin and one from Minsk.

9 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I'm sure it will.

But I'd still be inclined to check the latest situation for any country that you are particularly interested in. It's updated to 7th May

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, davecttr said:

LGW is currently closed for passenger traffic, no flights.

I realize that--I've got one booked in July through there and hoping they'll soon change it to a flight with an additional connection before I get to LHR so I can cancel for a full refund.  I need to fly Aer Lingus next year to keep my Avios so a $3000+ credit on American will do me no good at all.

9 hours ago, crazyank said:

Where else in Europe is this quarantine in place?  What specific countries?

Austria and Italy are either denying entry or requiring a 14 day quarantine depending on your citizenship, with a few exceptions for diplomats, health care workers, etc.

On 5/10/2020 at 12:39 AM, GrJ Berkshire said:

Today's news of a 14 day quarantine on arrival in UK for Brits and visitors , as is in place in much of Europe will end European cruises for 2020. You were incorrect to change the punctuation on my earlier post !! This will make crew or passengers unable to reach the ships and no excursions possible, without working out how the ship will adapt to the 'new normal'

One day we will cruise again but not in Europe 2020 !!

I was expressing an opinion, just as you were. I firmly believe cruises WILL restart in Europe this year. You don't, fine, no need to use "!!".

• Like 1

Italy has just announced that it will reopen both its regional and international borders on June 3rd -- and are also not requiring a 14-day quarantine period to boot. Some of her European neighboring countries aren't thrilled:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/05/16/italy-open-tourists-june-3/5205784002/

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/05/16/breaking-news/italy-plans-to-reopen-its-borders-june-3-with-no-travel-restrictions/

10 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Italy has just announced that it will reopen both its regional and international borders on June 3rd -- and are also not requiring a 14-day quarantine period to boot. Some of her European neighboring countries aren't thrilled:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/05/16/italy-open-tourists-june-3/5205784002/

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/05/16/breaking-news/italy-plans-to-reopen-its-borders-june-3-with-no-travel-restrictions/

If the countries around them will not let their citizens out and the Italians cannot go into those countries it is kind of pointless and reeks of a publicity stunt. The baltics states however have created a proper travel bubble:

Baltic states open a pandemic 'travel bubble'

9 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

If the countries around them will not let their citizens out and the Italians cannot go into those countries it is kind of pointless and reeks of a publicity stunt. The baltics states however have created a proper travel bubble:

Baltic states open a pandemic 'travel bubble'

I think, as their Prime Minister said, it's a calculated risk, perhaps with the hope of pushing other countries to move forward more quickly.  

What will happen is anyone's guess...