Quarantine protocals

hasbro

9 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

I only gave the matter 2 minutes, and I'm just a poor schlub. Imagine what those in charge, who know what they are doing can come up with given the time. The cruise lines and passengers WILL adapt, and cruising will continue, just not as it has in the past. Like I said in my first post, "Adapt or Perish", and corporations like CCL know that there is no profit in perishing.

But it also does not mean they will not perish.....there will still be so many other ways for people to travel safely with family and friends than cruising and I am sure most travelers are going to adapt more quickly to that than waiting for the cruise lines to adapt.  The other travel industries are going to be offering some great deals and it could make other forms of travel much more incentivized than cruising.  

I am sure small ship cruising might become much more popular then mass market cruising which could leave the big cruise companies with an outdated business model.

2 hours ago, dickinson said:

6 feet is just over 1.8 meters.  We don't use the metric system in USA.

2 hours ago, High C's said:

Really???  Why??? 

I would MUCH rather be home, or on land, where availability to hospitals/treatment is readily available.  And where I will be in charge of my OWN situation, not held prisoner for days on end on a ship because someone ELSE is ill.

Agree.....airlines and airports are and will be  able to figure this out before the cruise lines.  

First of all they received billions of dollars in the bailout.....cruise lines received zero USD.....so CCL and other are burning though what money they have let with no or little ability to generate the money they need to stay in business.

It is much easier for airlines to adjust their network and needs based on demand then cruise lines can....people are probably going to want to get to national/foreign destinations much quicker and enjoy land based stays then take a floating petri ship for days on time to get to the same destination and risk infection and quarantines as it stands now.

23 hours ago, Willwils said:

It's  for that & other health  reasons we just cancelled our 7/4/20 Ruby Princess Alaska inside passage cruise. This a day b4 final payment was due. That ship had many crew sick with  corona virus. Several passengers sick were allowed off ship in Australia & then died. Australian government is investigating & may find Princess criminally negligent. Yet, Princess still hasn't cancelled Ruby for Alaska 2020, to resume 7/4/20. 

It is unlikely that Princess will be found to be at fault for the Ruby Princess debacle, and even more unlikely that criminal charges will be laid against anyone. There is currently an enquiry running in Sydney where the representative from the NSW Health Department that authorised the disembarkation of passengers, was in tears. At one stage, the Commissioner said he felt she was deliberately trying to mislead him.

It was revealed that swabs taken on the ship were sent for testing around 3am after the ship tied up. However the swabs were tested more than 36 hours later. The only reason for Princess to pay for pathology tests on disembarking passengers would be if the doctor suspected there could be COVID and to alert NSW Health to this situation. The doctor had asked that paramedics who picked up two ill passengers at 2.30am should wear full PPE as a precaution. BTW, the ship did not have COVID test kits that were generally in short supply at the start of March.

2 hours ago, MrBill64 said:

Thinking outside the box. What if there is a breakthrough in testing? If there could be a test like pricking your finger or giving a saliva sample at the pier before boarding and results could be determined in a few minutes. If you test positive, you can't board.

You could have been recently infected but not developed enough of the virus yet to be detected. Eevn 100% of passengers testing negative does no mean none of them has the virus.

30 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

But it also does not mean they will not perish.....there will still be so many other ways for people to travel safely with family and friends than cruising and I am sure most travelers are going to adapt more quickly to that than waiting for the cruise lines to adapt. 

There are few other travel options that reduce possible exposure to the virus.

Bus tours are usually on crowded buses.

Las Vegas even with slot machines moved six feet apart and plastic shields up at gaming tables would have to greatly reduce seating in their shows and in their restaurants and eliminate their buffets, much like what is being suggested for cruise ships.

Even the airlines eliminating the use of middle seats keeps passengers within three feet of each other.

Beach vacations are out as there is no social distancing on a crowded beach.

The only relatively safe travel in the near future I can think of is camping. You use your own vehicle to go from camp site to camp site using your own food to avoid restaurants.

On 5/5/2020 at 7:55 PM, caribill said:

You could have been recently infected but not developed enough of the virus yet to be detected. Eevn 100% of passengers testing negative does no mean none of them has the virus.

We don't know how things will work out in 6 weeks, much less 6 months.  The 1968 Hong Kong flu killed 100K people in the US.  That is like 200K with today's population. Now, that flu is now called Influenza A.  It is in our yearly flu shots and sometimes works and sometimes not.

Did we stop cruising because of Influenza A? 

I know the Corona is worse than the flu, but I suspect not enough to stop all travel.  As someone asked, will you stop using elevators?  Might be fun in NY or Chicago :).  There is risk everywhere, so we just need to protect those who are really in danger.

41 minutes ago, mphouston said:

We don't know how things will work out in 6 weeks, much less 6 months.  The 1968 Hong Kong flu killed 100K people in the US.  That is like 200K with today's population. Now, that flu is now called Influenza A.  It is in our yearly flu shots and sometimes works and sometimes not.

Did we stop cruising because of Influenza A? 

I know the Corona is worse than the flu, but I suspect not enough to stop all travel.  As someone asked, will you stop using elevators?  Might be fun in NY or Chicago :).  There is risk everywhere, so we just need to protect those who are really in danger.

Another comparison between COVID-19 and the flu.  OMG.

On 5/5/2020 at 5:07 PM, caribill said:

There are few other travel options that reduce possible exposure to the virus.

Bus tours are usually on crowded buses.

Las Vegas even with slot machines moved six feet apart and plastic shields up at gaming tables would have to greatly reduce seating in their shows and in their restaurants and eliminate their buffets, much like what is being suggested for cruise ships.

Even the airlines eliminating the use of middle seats keeps passengers within three feet of each other.

Beach vacations are out as there is no social distancing on a crowded beach.

The only relatively safe travel in the near future I can think of is camping. You use your own vehicle to go from camp site to camp site using your own food to avoid restaurants.

That depends on your definition of camping. I don't count motor homes and RV parks as camping. There really should be a law that says RV parks can't advertise as a "campground". Bringing your TV, Microwave, etc. along with you really isn't camping. I'm amazed when I see folks pull into a campground in a huge RV and then never even show themselves outside.Then they run their damn generator for hours. So much for the peace and quiet of the mountains. (Obviously this doesn't pertain to all folks with RVs.)

If you actually camp you will be using public restrooms of varying types at the campgrounds. Those are infection transmission points. We like to camp. You know... Dirt, cook outside, campfires, etc. We have no self-contained vehicle. I'll be taking spray sanitizer when we are finally allowed to camp again.

• Like 1