Quarantine protocals

hasbro

Just wondering if an entire ship will still be quarantined  (once cruising resumes)  if a single case of covid19 is discovered.  If this is the case, I would be extremely reluctant to cruise knowing that a single case will result in my being stuck on the ship for at least 2 additional weeks.  Comments?

• Like 1

I would say that that would be most likely.   But it would be the same any other similar disease was discovered on board.

If I had to come in contact with someone with Covid19 I would prefer it to be on a cruise ship rather than finding out a week later that someone on a plane, train or bus that I had been on had gone down with it!!

1 minute ago, franktown said:

My opinion. No port will let you unload passengers or crew if there is a confirmed Covid19 case on board until everyone goes thru the 14 day quarantine.  

Then the industry is finished sad to say.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, casofilia said:

If I had to come in contact with someone with Covid19 I would prefer it to be on a cruise ship rather than finding out a week later that someone on a plane, train or bus that I had been on had gone down with it!!

I would much prefer to find out a week later at home where I had my own health insurance and doctors and could quarantine in the safety and comfort of my home. 

• Like 7

It's  for that & other health  reasons we just cancelled our 7/4/20 Ruby Princess Alaska inside passage cruise. This a day b4 final payment was due. That ship had many crew sick with  corona virus. Several passengers sick were allowed off ship in Australia & then died. Australian government is investigating & may find Princess criminally negligent. Yet, Princess still hasn't cancelled Ruby for Alaska 2020, to resume 7/4/20. 

10 hours ago, hasbro said:

Just wondering if an entire ship will still be quarantined  (once cruising resumes)  if a single case of covid19 is discovered.  If this is the case, I would be extremely reluctant to cruise knowing that a single case will result in my being stuck on the ship for at least 2 additional weeks.  Comments?

Even when a vaccine is available, there will always be some people that will not have had the vaccine or even if having had it, not provided with enough immunity.

And even if you have had the vaccine, it might not be totally effective so you could still be at risk. The flu vaccine is lucky to be 70% effective. The first shingles vaccine was (if I remember correctly) about 60% effective.

Thus, there is the possibility that on every future cruise a passenger could board with the Covid-19 in them and you could be at risk.

Of course this is true every time in the future you go to a movie theater, Broadway show, baseball, football or basketball game, high school graduation, on an airplane, symphony, wedding, etc.

Yes this is true with a host of other diseases, but Covid-19 has shown the ability (so far) to spread much easier than other known diseases.

You may be willing to avoid cruising, but how much of the rest of "normal" life activities will you also avoid?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Willwils said:

It's  for that & other health  reasons we just cancelled our 7/4/20 Ruby Princess Alaska inside passage cruise. This a day b4 final payment was due. That ship had many crew sick with  corona virus. Several passengers sick were allowed off ship in Australia & then died. Australian government is investigating & may find Princess criminally negligent. Yet, Princess still hasn't cancelled Ruby for Alaska 2020, to resume 7/4/20. 

We’re booked on the Ruby for August 2021 out of SF to Alaska.  Truth be told, I’m even a bit concerned about sailing THEN.  I’m just not feeling reassured that this virus will be gone even by next year.  We’ll see how it goes...

13 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

I guess you are not familiar with the term, "adapt or perish".

How can you adapt? It would be impossible to put on the show in the main theatre in terms of the entertainment team nevermind the passengers. There will not be much in the way of entertainment on the ships. Ports will close or be closed. Sailings with a ships a quarter full would not be profitable especially as I don't see how you can sail with less fuel. Ok the ship is lighter because of less people but not that much lighter. It will cost money to retrofit the buffet into seated restaurant areas. Excursions which are sold onboard will be cancelled. Tendering would be impossible as well

Two years with no cruising these guys are all gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

How can you adapt? It would be impossible to put on the show in the main theatre in terms of the entertainment team nevermind the passengers. There will not be much in the way of entertainment on the ships. Ports will close or be closed. Sailings with a ships a quarter full would not be profitable especially as I don't see how you can sail with less fuel. Ok the ship is lighter because of less people but not that much lighter. It will cost money to retrofit the buffet into seated restaurant areas. Excursions which are sold onboard will be cancelled. Tendering would be impossible as well

Two years with no cruising these guys are all gone.

You lack imagination...let's take your argument point by point: Shows....simplified staging, reservations for every other seat, shows simulcast to other venues & cabins. Ships too big, make smaller ships. Turn buffet into served food court, with reservations mandatory. Excursions...not sure why you feel they'd all be cancelled. Tendering would require more time...less people on each tender. Maybe, they'll stop visiting tendering ports, or reduce the number of ports for each sailing. Cruise lines and passengers will both need to adapt. There are so many possibilities to keep cruising alive, just open your mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

.let's take your argument point by point

You didn't take their argument "point by point". You missed port closures/denials, quarter or half filled ships will not be profitable (you don't just make smaller ships, and if you did the distancing problem remains), fuel costs with less revenue, and tendering.

Story in the morning news says Carnival plans to sail from Miami and other ports this summer. Let's see how that goes...

Edited by Outerdog

3 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

You didn't take their argument "point by point". You missed port closures/denials, quarter or half filled ships will not be profitable (you don't just make smaller ships, and if you did the distancing problem remains), fuel costs with less revenue, and tendering.

Story in the morning news says Carnival plans to sail from Miami and other ports this summer. Let's see how that goes...

I only gave the matter 2 minutes, and I'm just a poor schlub. Imagine what those in charge, who know what they are doing can come up with given the time. The cruise lines and passengers WILL adapt, and cruising will continue, just not as it has in the past. Like I said in my first post, "Adapt or Perish", and corporations like CCL know that there is no profit in perishing.

• Like 1

Just a few thoughts on the theater suggestion of every other seat...that would mean I can not sit with my husband? Also, social distancing is 6ft. It is a 6ft radius around you so at least 2 empty seats to each side and 1 or 2 rows in front of you and behind you.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hsmom said:

Just a few thoughts on the theater suggestion of every other seat...that would mean I can not sit with my husband? Also, social distancing is 6ft. It is a 6ft radius around you so at least 2 empty seats to each side and 1 or 2 rows in front of you and behind you.

Of course, this is only if social distancing is still needed, but they will find a way to make it work. If you absolutely need to sit next to your spouse in order to enjoy a show, you might have to settle for sitting in your cabin and watching it on TV.

Life will go on, and that includes cruising.

We’re both 70 (and very healthy) and veterans of 30+ cruises. But, it will be a long time before we’re comfortable heading out to sea again. No matter how well intentioned, I don’t see how ships can practice efficient and effective social distancing. And, with the concern of a worldwide spike of the virus in the Fall, I’m far more concerned about that ONE passenger (maybe asymptotic) that begins the horrible quarantine adventure.  Hopefully all will go well.  But for now, we’ll be monitoring the news on Cruise Critic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hsmom said:

The rules for reopening theaters in our area:

a) Family groups or couples can sit next to each other

b) Between each family group or couple there must be two empty seats on each side

c) Every other row will not be used

• Thanks 1

🙂 Ok, let me try again. Forget I have a husband who wants to sit with me 🙂

The conversation seemed to be on what adaptations would be needed without a vaccine and many sources claim that would be social distancing. My comment was coming from a mathematical perspective. Frequently I see people comment about skipping seats in theaters, planes etc. The distance needed is a circle with a radius of 6 ft.  The space in front, behind and diagonally is often forgotten. This changes the seating significantly.

To be clear, I am not endorsing social distancing as the cure and if it is not a requirement then all bets are off. Will cruising adapt? Certainly. Will it be a product where I wish to spend my travel dollars? That is yet to be seen. 

1 minute ago, caribill said:

The rules for reopening theaters in our area:

a) Family groups or couples can sit next to each other

b) Between each family group or couple there must be two empty seats on each side

c) Every other row will not be used

I am glad your theaters are opening! I would be curious, numerically, if skipping one row makes the 6ft or if it is “close enough”. It would depend on the theater also. I would guess that the theater on the Regal would need to skip 2 rows to get anywhere close. (No argument meant, simply theorizing)

3 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Of course, this is only if social distancing is still needed, but they will find a way to make it work. If you absolutely need to sit next to your spouse in order to enjoy a show, you might have to settle for sitting in your cabin and watching it on TV.

Life will go on, and that includes cruising.

Just a question.  How do you social distance in a elevator?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Just a question.  How do you social distance in a elevator?

you stick a princess employee in every elevator to limit … maybe 2 people, or one wheelchair 

it 'could' be done … same as on tenders … 

won't be that bad with ships operating at 25% capacity

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We have a cruise Sep2 this year and have fingers crossed that it will happen. Sails out of New York !!!

Makes sense that one Covid-19 case would result in 14 day quarantine - so I can't see how anyone would take this risk.

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

you stick a princess employee in every elevator to limit … maybe 2 people, or one wheelchair 

That is still not 6 feet apart.

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Ships operating at 25% capacity means that the cruise will not be profitable or the cruise fare will be 4 times as much.  Not a business model compatible with the current fleet.