If you're buying just the right schedule -- be alert

FlyerTalker

If you're buying flights for future trips, and are counting on that great schedule you found, you might want to read this article from Skift (a travel industry website).

https://skift.com/2020/05/26/how-airlines-are-generating-revenue-on-flights-that-will-never-take-off/

There is probably more schedule "uncertainty" now than anytime since 2001, and maybe even more so.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ericosmith said:

So my question is, should I book the lowest fare even though I don't like that schedule in hopes that it will be rescheduled later and I can book better times since it was changed...

This is a great question...who can answer ?

17 hours ago, ericosmith said:

So my question is, should I book the lowest fare even though I don't like that schedule in hopes that it will be rescheduled later and I can book better times since it was changed...

That is a risk you take, what would you do, besides keep the same flight(s), if the same 'fare bucket' is not available on the 'better times' flight?

Otherwise, you could wait and see if the airline moved you or just call and request the new flight.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

19 hours ago, ericosmith said:

My own takeaway is that there are going to be fewer flights, therefore fewer "good itineraries".  Waiting for "good timings", either in your initial purpose or via a fortuitous change, will be a fool's errand.  So purchase on a good price and a reasonable, if not wonderful schedule.  Mostly, be prepared that any itinerary you buy will turn out to be a phantom and you will get moved.

And for those Southwest folks who rave that they "never change your flights" -- don't be so sure.  Everybody is cutting capacity

• Thanks 1

Schedule changes have proved to be true.  Three weeks ago I booked a non stop flight on Delta.  CVG-DEN.  Last week Delta sent me an email saying my nonstop was cancelled and they had rebooked my on a flight thru ATL.  I contacted Delta to discuss the changes.  They agent told me Delta will be cancelling a lot more non stops and passengers would be going thru hub cities.  I ended up cancelling the flight because of the connection times and why would I fly east to go west.  Anyway, after cancelling my flight I rebooked a non stop with Frontier Airlines.  So I agree with FlyerTalker;  schedules will be changing quite a bit.