Silver moon not ready to sail in august

Diana Felicity

20 hours ago, jollyjones said:

The Moon Mar TA is one of the other cruises I’ve cancelled, I have no faith that the situation will have improved enough by then for me to risk a cruise, especially a two continent one. 
I continue to foster a fond hope that I will finally get to meet Mistress Moon in September 2021  - only a hope, but ...

PS I’d love to be wrong about next March - if so, I’ve got an FCC, could possibly make a late (re)booking for the TA!!

Jolly

I am waiting until the last minute to cancel the TA on the Moon in the Spring.

And I have considered the cancel and rebook option as well.

Hope we can play trivia sooner than later!

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had a press release with this headline: “A New Moon Rises Silversea's Silver Moon Undergoes Sea Trials” with these highlights: “Silversea's new ship Silver Moon is one step closer to welcoming the cruise line's guests, having successfully carried out her sea trials between August 8 and August 20 . Carrying a reduced crew of approximately 320 due to precautionary health protocols, the ship journeyed between Fincantieri's shipyards in Ancona and Trieste, Italy, undergoing a week-long dry-dock period in the latter. With a delivery date set for October 30(th) , Silver Moon will become the second ship to join Silversea's ultra-luxury fleet in 2020, following the delivery of Silver Origin on June 3.”

Here is more:  CAPTAIN ALESSANDRO ZANELLO -- SILVER MOON'S MASTER

With over 20 years of experience at Silversea Cruises alone, Captain Alessandro Zanello was at the helm for the launch of Silver Moon's sister ship, Silver Muse, back in 2017, and was also present for the sea trials of Silver Spirit in 2009.  "As my third with Silversea, I must say that Silver Moon's sea trials felt a little surreal after everything that happened in the months prior, " says Zanello. "I was originally scheduled to travel to the shipyard in Ancona in April. I was with family in Canada at the time. Unfortunately there were no flights from Canada to Ancona, so I was unable to reach the ship until July. The sea trials themselves felt special, indeed, and were held in unique circumstances. Enhanced health and safety protocols were in place, including temperature screenings, physical distancing, and the wearing of face coverings both on the ship and in the shipyard

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/PR-CO-20200827-908531

or 

View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/a-new-moon-rises-silverseas-silver-moon-undergoes-sea-trials-301119701.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 240,311 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, englishusa said:

Would like to try Moon FLL-FLL in December but they are asking for 200% Single Supplement. Get real SS!

I am not certain that I see what is unreal about this.  I assume you mean a 100% supplement -- so that a solo passengers pays as much for the suite as a couple.  (If it really is a 200% supplement, I share your surprise.  I have never heard of that.) 

SS offers very attractive single supplements on many cruises.  I am paying 25% for cruises in late 2021.  But those attractive supplements disappear as sailing dates approach, as the ship fills up, etc.  Revenue Management folk presumably think they can sell the suite to two guests.  This dynamic pricing is characteristic of flights, hotel rooms, etc.

20 minutes ago, englishusa said:

OK 100% supplement!

Understood.  I hope I did not seem pedantic.  

Even so, I do not find it remarkable that there would be such a supplement so close to sailing on holiday cruise covering Christmas and New Year's.  Holiday cruises are nearly always highly priced (though I believe SS was offering a 25% supplement on a 2021-2 holiday cruise out of FLL.)

I wonder if Moon will even sail to North/South America this winter/spring.  

37 minutes ago, englishusa said:

Crew members are being prepared for contracts starting  in October and CD is probably Moss. Paolo HD?

They are expecting the TA in early Dec

Very interesting -- especially if this implies that Moon will move ahead with its circumnavigation of South America beginning early January.  Given the COVID situation in Latin America, this would seem to be a gutsy call.  But it would presumably be a call greatly welcomed by crew (currently without income) and port-based suppliers of tours and other services to cruise ships.

Strange, we are booked on the Moon LIM-FLL Dec 8, 2020. We just got our Allianz insurance policy number, booked with SS when we booked this in Feb. The insurance purchase date says AUG 9, effective Aug 10, I don't know if that is a bad or good sign??