The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

I think this year more than any year we've been cruising I appreciate the various views from the vessel from different heights and angles.

Keith

IMG_1616.thumb.jpeg.3afafb3c9d21d8e41ce2844cd1443ddc.jpeg

I'm having trouble placing that.  What ship and location? Endeavor perhaps?

Roy

53 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I don't have a sunrise for January 7 so once again, this really is today:

IMG_0102.JPG.ac9397e0c4816f45fd87ba01fc0a274c.JPG

I do plan to clear the rest of the car  but at that time I had reached my limit for being outside without warming up.

Roy

I just moved meetings around so I can shovel my sidewalk a little later.  We only got about 4 inches or so last night, but it's not going anywhere today so I legally have to do something about it.  😕

Vince

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I just moved meetings around so I can shovel my sidewalk a little later.  We only got about 4 inches or so last night, but it's not going anywhere today so I legally have to do something about it.  😕

Vince

To quote my favorite Christmas movie:

"Welcome to the party pal."

About 4 inches here too.  But this was all dry, light and fluffy.  Much better than the Monday mess. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Probably one if not the most challenging steps to climb when docked in port.  On embarkation and debark days thank goodness you don't have to carry  your belongings as the crew is there to do this for you.

Keith

328347251_IMG_14632.thumb.jpeg.829941227a602c67a2ec9d7abd1d9a77.jpeg

The gangway on the Esprit would have been a close second. It was equally as steep during a high tide, but it had no steps!!! 😮 😮 

• Like 3

I expect a few consecutive sunrises from my 2018 Crystal World Cruise.  On January 9 the Crystal Serenity visited Cartagena Colombia.  I'm a bit confused by the cable but think it was attached to a live raft.

dawn0109.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I expect a few consecutive sunrises from my 2018 Crystal World Cruise.  On January 9 the Crystal Serenity visited Cartagena Colombia.  I'm a bit confused by the cable but think it was attached to a live raft.

dawn0109.jpg

Roy

The crew raft capsules at the stern on Deck 7 on both sides. Or as I jokingly call them, the depth charges for warding off pirates!! 😄 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I started to think of the many family cruises we took on Celebrity with the unexpected passing of comedian Bob Saget.  Why you ask?

I remember on debark days we had to be out of our room and we went to the large lounge to wait for our number to be called to debark the ship.  Often there were delays.  You see, things haven't changed..   LOL.

To pass the time they would show American's Funniest Home Videos (we used to watch that at home too) and he was the host for many years.  

Who would have thought I would think of Celebrity Cruises and America's Home Videos together but such is life.

Keith

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I started to think of the many family cruises we took on Celebrity with the unexpected passing of comedian Bob Saget.  Why you ask?

I remember on debark days we had to be out of our room and we went to the large lounge to wait for our number to be called to debark the ship.  Often there were delays.  You see, things haven't changed..   LOL.

To pass the time they would show American's Funniest Home Videos (we used to watch that at home too) and he was the host for many years.  

Who would have thought I would think of Celebrity Cruises and America's Home Videos together but such is life.

Keith

Along similar lines, Alan Thicke used to remind me of Premier when I'd see him, since he was a a semi-regular performer in their early years (before Growing Pains, I think).

Vince

• Like 3

I still miss the Baked Alaska Parades.

I know, it's dated.

I know, you can't pull it off with open dining.

I know it can be disruptive.

I know.  I know.  I know.

I just remember it from our very first cruise on Home Lines when I was 12, then on on The Big Red Boat which is the first time Anne Marie and the kids cruise, and many years on Celebrity.  Can't remember if Princess had it or Holland.  However, I know Crystal the first few years had it. 

I know it could be a fire hazard.

I also know you can order a slice but there was something special when the parade started. 

I know.  A little corny.

But it's a nice memory for me of past cruises.

Believe it or not I'm in South America on a business trip meeting with Telcom Executives of Argentina. Our in-country team arranges a dinner menu for us to meet with these folks and after enjoying the best Steak I've ever had in my life, guess what?????  Yes, Baked Alaska for the table.  

This one was from our first time on Serenity in 2005.

Keith

1342240280_RevisedCrystal2005MedTrip187.thumb.jpeg.bf47df0ed4587869a3452f21cce25517.jpeg

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I still miss the Baked Alaska Parades.

I know, it's dated.

I know, you can't pull it off with open dining.

I know it can be disruptive.

I know.  I know.  I know.

I just remember it from our very first cruise on Home Lines when I was 12, then on on The Big Red Boat which is the first time Anne Marie and the kids cruise, and many years on Celebrity.  Can't remember if Princess had it or Holland.  However, I know Crystal the first few years had it. 

I know it could be a fire hazard.

I also know you can order a slice but there was something special when the parade started. 

I know.  A little corny.

But it's a nice memory for me of past cruises.

Believe it or not I'm in South America on a business trip meeting with Telcom Executives of Argentina. Our in-country team arranges a dinner menu for us to meet with these folks and after enjoying the best Steak I've ever had in my life, guess what?????  Yes, Baked Alaska for the table.  

This one was from our first time on Serenity in 2005.

Keith

1342240280_RevisedCrystal2005MedTrip187.thumb.jpeg.bf47df0ed4587869a3452f21cce25517.jpeg

At Christmas dinner in Waterside on the Symphony this year, we had a party of 9 organized by one of the tablemates.  She wanted to do something special for our dinner, so she pre-ordered a Baked Alaska for the table.

Delicious, and brought back memories.

Edited by audobon_tx
  • Like 3

I for one was pleased to see the old Baked Alaska parade fall to a relic of history.

Worse, my late brother spent most of his working life for Eastern Airlines in Miami.  I generally went down for Christmas.  A tradition in his church was that the Christmas Eve service ended with a candle lighting and congregants were encouraged to keep their candles burning until they got home (and yes, nearly everybody arrived by car).  Fortunately, our family never followed that tradition.

Roy

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I for one was pleased to see the old Baked Alaska parade fall to a relic of history.

Worse, my late brother spent most of his working life for Eastern Airlines in Miami.  I generally went down for Christmas.  A tradition in his church was that the Christmas Eve service ended with a candle lighting and congregants were encouraged to keep their candles burning until they got home (and yes, nearly everybody arrived by car).  Fortunately, our family never followed that tradition.

Roy

I don't know why that conjures up memories of the McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit.  If that's where people held their coffee while they drove, I'd hate to think where the burning candle goes?  🤦‍♂️ Talk about life changing burns (even if you didn't manage to burn your whole car down).

Vince

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I don't know why that conjures up memories of the McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit.  If that's where people held their coffee while they drove, I'd hate to think where the burning candle goes?  🤦‍♂️ Talk about life changing burns (even if you didn't manage to burn your whole car down).

Vince

Somewhat off topic, but since you mentioned it......

Several years ago, I had an interesting conversation with someone who was tangentially involved in the "coffee lawsuit". McDonald's at the time always kept their coffee at a temperature that was considered dangerously hot. They had been cited for it by regulatory authorities on numerous occasions and had committed to lowering the temperature, but failed to follow through. The cup apparently fell off the dashboard, where it had been put by the complainant, into their lap. Leaving aside the stupidity of the claimant, who apparently ended up with third degree burns from the coffee, McDonald's actually lost the suit due to their "negligence" in continuing to serve coffee at what they knew were "dangerously hot temperatures" and not following through on their commitments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Anyone remember the old Bob Newhart telephone routine?

"Hello, friendly insurance claims rep here.  What's that, you'd like to file a claim?

-----

For your car? I see.

-----

It burned to the ground?  Well, do you have any idea what caused this? Was anyone smoking?

-----

No, no one was smoking, ok.

-----

Wait, what? There was a candle?  Well, I don't see how one candle could have caused....

-----

Wait, it was lit?  The candle in your car was lit?

-----

Oh, ok.  Why?

-----

Because, because...your pastor recommended it?

-----

I see.  Sir, we're going to deny your claim, and recommend you find a new congregation." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Somewhat off topic, but since you mentioned it......

Several years ago, I had an interesting conversation with someone who was tangentially involved in the "coffee lawsuit". McDonald's at the time always kept their coffee at a temperature that was considered dangerously hot. They had been cited for it by regulatory authorities on numerous occasions and had committed to lowering the temperature, but failed to follow through. The cup apparently fell off the dashboard, where it had been put by the complainant, into their lap. Leaving aside the stupidity of the claimant, who apparently ended up with third degree burns from the coffee, McDonald's actually lost the suit due to their "negligence" in continuing to serve coffee at what they knew were "dangerously hot temperatures" and not following through on their commitments.

Yes "several years ago".  I remember this well. It happened in 1992 proving that there is a law suit for just about everything you can imagine.

Keith

When I last posted a photo from my 2016 trip that featured Crystal Symphony to Antarctica I was on QM2 approaching Southampton.  On January 10 I transferred to Queen Victoria and January 12 was our second sea day on the way to Ponta Delgada and onwards to Fort Lauderdale.

dawn0112.jpg

Now if you wonder why I was on Cunard for 3 weeks before boarding a Crystal cruise out of Buenos Aires I was hedging my bets.  I did not want to be flying from Maryland in the middle of winter to board a bucket list cruise and took the sea route to Florida so I could board a pretty reliable nonstop.  It turned out to be a good decision as we had snowmageddon the day I would have left home.  I think about 3 feet which Maryland does NOT take in stride.

Oops, actually only about 2 1/2 feet.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 3