A possible 5-month delay on new ships

br111

Interesting comments yesterday on Carnival Corp's (Seabourn's parent company, obviously) second quarter earnings conference call with analysts. In addition to announcing that they were selling 13 ships across all of the Carnival brands, the CFO also had this to say about delays on taking delivery of new builds...

Jamie Rollo -- Morgan Stanley -- Analyst

My first question is just on the order book, please. It doesn't sound like that you're planning any cancellations of what sort of order? Or is it just a delay to your order book? Thank you....

David Bernstein -- Chief Financial Office and Chief Accounting Officer

Yes, it sounded like I kind of -- but Jamie, you were talking about any cancellations on the order book versus delay. There were no cancellations what we were just talking about for the each ship was a delay. On average, you're probably talking about five-month delay for each of the 14 ships plus two Seabourn expedition ships that are on order.

The full transcript of the call - which is pretty interesting if you're a cruise line nerd - is here:

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2020/07/10/carnival-corp-plc-ccl-q2-2020-earnings-call-transc.aspx

• Like 1

The new Venture expedition ship was set to debut next summer and replace the Quest doing Antarctica trips next winter.  So are they saying the Venture is likely to be delayed by 5 months?  That gets dicey with the early portion of next winter's Antartica season. (We had hoped to be on a Venture trip next year that included South Georgia, but the prices were so high we opted for Silversea… and who knows what the cruising world will look like 15 months from now?)

12 hours ago, SLSD said:

Isn't it about time the CDC got round to extending the 'no-sail' order. Or do they really suggest cruising will be safe from July 24?

3 hours ago, norm2002 said:

Isn't it about time the CDC got round to extending the 'no-sail' order. Or do they really suggest cruising will be safe from July 24?

I don't want to be accused of posting a political post, but think I have to say that the CDC is under considerable pressure right now.  That's all I will say.  

• Like 1

IMHO, and from what I hear from friends in the industry, and what I read, the No Sail order will most likely be extended for another 100 days which will bring us into November, 2020.  

With FL now having the distinction of having the record for new CV cases (surpassing NY State’s April record) I cannot see cruises out of FL before January, 2021, if then.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 9:50 AM, whogo said:

Cruise lines do not need a no sail order to know they cannot cruise.

True, but they are still not cancelling cruises that they know cannot go ahead in order to avoid having to issue refunds, rather than FCCs. When the no sail order is extended, they will have no choice. Only 8 days of the current order left.

And at the risk of being political, I'm not sure that the CDC is under as much pressure at the moment as Anthony Fauci who should be commended for standing up to the 'bizarre' attacks.

Edited by norm2002
Changed one word.