Royal Caribbean Pulled Dubai Cruises ?

14 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

Nothing against anyone who feels differently, but the human rights practices in Dubai keep me away. 

I think you are confusing Dubai, which is a city, with another country in the general area.

13 hours ago, CapeGal said:

Some of us don’t take chances in that part of the world and the volatility at a minutes notice. If I need to enlighten you further, you aren’t keeping up. But please, don’t let me stop you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ROFL,  you might want to do a little research on Dubai

Edited by crazyank
  • Like 1

Been to Dubai twice on business with a little bit of personal time added on.  Loved it both times and always felt very safe.  Fascinating what you can accomplish when money is not an issue.  I will likely return there once more with my wife so she can experience it, but that will probably be it.  As others noted, it's a long (and expensive) trip for Americans, and it would compete against travel to many other parts of the world.  For Europeans, it's easier and cheaper to get there for a nice sun/sea/shopping holiday.

9 hours ago, crazyank said:

I think you are confusing Dubai, which is a city, with another country in the general area.

9 hours ago, crazyank said:

ROFL,  you might want to do a little research on Dubai

You may wish to do some research of your own before judging others choices.  The UAE is not without it's own human rights problems.  Migrant labor abuses and women's rights make the country unattractive as a tourism destination for many.  Tourists must also adhere to some social rules with which they may not be comfortable.  

There is also the problem of the passport stamp if also planning on visiting Israel. 

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

There is also the problem of the passport stamp if also planning on visiting Israel. 

Can you document this? IME there are indeed a number of places that deny entry if your passport stamps indicate visits to Israel; Dubai is not one of them. Passport stamps from hard-line anti-Israel countries will certainly get you extra questioning before being allowed into Israel, but Dubai stamp do not trigger extra interrogation.  

9 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

Can you document this? IME there are indeed a number of places that deny entry if your passport stamps indicate visits to Israel; Dubai is not one of them. Passport stamps from hard-line anti-Israel countries will certainly get you extra questioning before being allowed into Israel, but Dubai stamp do not trigger extra interrogation.  

Not personally experienced, but, have read accounts online. IMO, worth noting.

One of the more reliable traveler websites. 

Scroll to the Departing Israel  section.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/israel-entry-exit-travel-requirements/

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

1 hour ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Not personally experienced, but, have read accounts online. IMO, worth noting.

One of the more reliable traveler websites. 

Scroll to the Departing Israel  section.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/israel-entry-exit-travel-requirements/

Note that the discussion you reference is under departing specifically by airplane. This relates to aircraft security and has no effect on whether you could visit Israel (indeed since this deals with leaving, obviously they let you in). Israel takes aircraft security seriously, unlike TSA which is mostly theatre to make you think they are making you safe. 

BTW those social rules that one must observe in Dubai focus primarily on public drunkenness, public sex and/or excessive PDA, obscene clothing and excessive criticism of the government. I will grant that the UAE is not the best in dealing with human rights. 

1 hour ago, TravelerThom said:

Note that the discussion you reference is under departing specifically by airplane. This relates to aircraft security and has no effect on whether you could visit Israel (indeed since this deals with leaving, obviously they let you in). Israel takes aircraft security seriously, unlike TSA which is mostly theatre to make you think they are making you safe. 

BTW those social rules that one must observe in Dubai focus primarily on public drunkenness, public sex and/or excessive PDA, obscene clothing and excessive criticism of the government. I will grant that the UAE is not the best in dealing with human rights. 

My point is that Dubai is problematic for some from a tourism perspective and should not be met with inconsiderate remarks like were made earlier in this thread. 

I also think that oversimplifying the social rules as above can lead to unexpected trouble.  Take into consideration that unmarried couples traveling together can't legally share a room, holding hands can be "excessive PDA" in some cases, a solo female traveler trying to keep fit by jogging fully covered in stifling heat so as not to attract unwanted attention, impacts on gay travelers feeling welcome, etc. Dubai is not a one-size-fits-all Paradise, even if it is on many bucket lists.