Alaska Recommendation- Rough Seas & Big Boats

4 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

Yes. I've always wondered why so many ships make only a short evening visit to Victoria. We were on Ovation from Hawaii to Vancouver in 2019. We had a longer stop scheduled for Victoria, but it had to be cut to a few afternoon hours, because we had to get to Vancouver to pass under the bridge by 7 PM. It was Ovation's first visit to Vancouver, and the captain had to carefully time the arrival. Next time to be able to pass under the bridge was on departure the next day.

A stop at a foreign port is required for ships that sail round trip from a US port. Therefore, Victoria fulfills that requirement for ships that sail from Seattle or San Francisco.  

Your one-way cruise between Honolulu and Vancouver didn’t require the stop in Victoria, as you were traveling between the US and Canada. It was a bonus port. 

Edited by NancyIL

On 8/16/2020 at 12:10 PM, efuller1026 said:

Hi! My husband and I are looking at going on an Alaskan cruise next year (2021) for our anniversary. We are loyal to RCCL and are looking at trips on either Quantum or Ovation of the Seas or Serenade of the Seas. I need some help/suggestions on deciding on an itinerary.

Things to consider: 1) I am prone to seasickness--though I have never actually been seasick on a cruise and I have been on about 10 to Caribbean and Mediterranean. I and am a bit concerned about the Gulf of Alaska that I think would inevitably be a part of the cruise if going with Quantum/Ovation of the seas (vs. Serenade which travels the inside passage). If the seas get rough, is this experienced for the full duration of the cruise or for a few hours of travel? 2) We are definitely interested in things to do on board and know the selection on Quantum/Ovation if far superior. For those that have cruised Alaska- did you spend much time actually doing onboard activities? 3) We are obviously excited for the scenery. Deciding between visiting Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier on Quantum/Ovation or Tracy Arm Fjord on Serenade. Suggestions for which is better? I have a preference for waterfalls and wildlife. Also, any insight as to whether the "sightseeing" days are more difficult on a larger ship because the masses of people? 

We are looking to travel in August/early September and will likely be getting a Grand Suite if that influences answers. Any other input regarding boat/itinerary preference is helpful!

Thank you!

Something else to consider.   Flights to Vancouver typically cost more and involve a layover.  You may want to check out flight options on google flights.  

We typically fly business/first class when affordable.   We definitely prefer non stop flights as I hate sitting in an airport for a couple hours waiting for a layover. 

We fly out of phl for most domestic flights and can fly non stop to Seattle with first class for $900 pp compared to Vancouver for $1250 pp with layover.

I prefer to spend my money on adventures while on land or sea not $700 extra for a plane ride that will have a layover and risk losing my luggage during that layover.

We are early 50's and very active but do enjoy unwinding and relaxing on sea days.

I personally think the service and food is better on the serenade.  More personable since there is fewer passengers.

I absolutely love the serenade as well as quantum.  Serenade has alot more areas for sightseeing.  Quantum has fun activities like bumper cars and northstar and ifly.

I have never sailed alaska and have been viewing options for both of these ships for next summer too.

Thank you for this posting as I was viewing post on alaska forum and still unsure.

My question is what is best month to see whales?

17 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My question is what is best month to see whales?

Humpbacks can be seen throughout the cruise season but may peak in June/July. There are some that actually winter over in Alaska. You’ll always see them in Juneau if going on a whale watch tour. More likely to see orcas in May/June although we’ve seen them later in the year many times. I mentioned in a previous post that I spend hours looking for them each day so my sightings are better than someone who simply walks out on deck and takes a quick look for them.

4 hours ago, NancyIL said:

A stop at a foreign port is required for ships that sail round trip from a US port. Therefore, Victoria fulfills that requirement for ships that sail from Seattle or San Francisco.  

Your one-way cruise between Honolulu and Vancouver didn’t require the stop in Victoria, as you were traveling between the US and Canada. It was a bonus port. 

I'm very familiar with the PVSA retirement to visit a foreign port. I just don't understand why some make such a short stop in in such an interesting city, and do it in the late evening. I suppose it's a timing issue, to fit in with the rest of the itinerary. Since it's such a short distance to Seattle. ships can stay late and still make their early morning arrival. BTW, are you from Illinois?

Just now, HappyCruiserettu said:

I'm very familiar with the PVSA retirement to visit a foreign port. I just don't understand why some make such a short stop in in such an interesting city, and do it in the late evening. I suppose it's a timing issue, to fit in with the rest of the itinerary. Since it's such a short distance to Seattle. ships can stay late and still make their early morning arrival. BTW, are you from Illinois?

The ships that spend the late evening hours in Victoria do so mainly to fulfill the PVSA.  The Ovation and Quantum that the OP is considering spend a full day in Victoria - but they do so at the expense of a port in Alaska.

Yes, I'm from Illinois. 😎

3 hours ago, NancyIL said:

The ships that spend the late evening hours in Victoria do so mainly to fulfill the PVSA.  The Ovation and Quantum that the OP is considering spend a full day in Victoria - but they do so at the expense of a port in Alaska.

Yes, I'm from Illinois. 😎

I'm from Moline, and my wife is from Chicago.

• Like 1

I suffer terribly from motion sickness. Sometimes I even get motion sick when I'm driving my own car. My first cruise I couldn't even move my head I was so sick. Then I discovered this motion sickness pill I take every 12 hours while cruising (and doing any other activity that involves motion) called meclizine. Trade name for USA is Bonamine and for Canada is Bonine. You can get it over the counter at any drug store. It is non-drowsy and works on your inner ear (where the trouble lies) rather than on your tummy. I promise you it will save your cruising life!

Oh also, I booked the Serenade for 2021 but mostly because I live in Victoria BC and refused to give up an Alaska port of call for home.

Edited by RockStarDoll

We were on the Ovation out of Seattle in July of 2019, and the first night she was rocking and rolling, but that can happen on any ship in any body of water. We love the bigger ships and really enjoyed the Ovation. Only bad part of our vacation was flying from Tampa to Seattle! We have been on a bunch of the smaller/older ships and if we ever get to resume sailing it will only be on the big ships.

Really depends on what you are after.  If really wanting a once in a lifetime Alaska cruise, you may want to consider another line that goes to glacier bay.  We did Holland America years ago round trip out of Seattle and the itinerary was amazing.  Summer 2019 we took the kids and did Ovation out of Seattle.  The ship is amazing and so much to do.  We also saw plenty of Alaska but it wasn’t the same.  Also was nice to have a younger, family oriented crowd onboard.

I’d go back and do either in a heartbeat.