Where in the world is HAL?

bennybear

9 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Winner - Funchal, Madeira!   Here is the ship that was moored in front of Prisendam.  For valuable extra points, what was her name when she was a HAL ship?

416297065_whicholdHALship.jpg.3f1ca32761b16d9a31ee992e2f10dc9e.jpg

In her previous life she was the Noordam.  We sailed on her 11 times for a total of 132 days.

BTW,  we were on that cruise with you.

44 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Not the right answer and I did respond with a clue.  This was in my Mexican Riviera photos from 2014.  I’ve never been to Bermuda.  Whose flag is being flown?  

Costa Rica.  Entering Puntarenas

I realised that is probably an incorrect answer as my mind omitted Mexican Riviera cruise.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
Add information

36 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Not the right answer and I did respond with a clue.  This was in my Mexican Riviera photos from 2014.  I’ve never been to Bermuda.  Whose flag is being flown?  

Besides the Dutch and the HAL house flag, kinda hard to tell

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yep, that's Seattle, Smith Cove, Pier 91

Correct and a winner.  I told my DH that if anybody could guess correctly from that angle, it would be you.  We were extremely lucky to have such a clear day when we took the harbor and canal cruise there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

In post #699 Angelcat stated "arriving in Bermuda"

This may have been taken on a Mexican Riviera cruise, but this most definitely looks like a photo of a Stephen Card painting. I have never been to the Mexican Riviera but I know I’ve seen this before.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Yes, Noordam III.  She was our first HAL ship, in 1996, but sadly we only did two cruises on her.

She was our second HAL ship in 1999.  Our first was the Ryndam in 1998.  After the Ryndam, the Noordam was one we did not think we'd sail on again.  Then in 2002 and 2004, we had a chance to to a TA, plus other cruises added on, out of Tampa.  We ended up licking the ship a lot.

9 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

This may have been taken on a Mexican Riviera cruise, but this most definitely looks like a photo of a Stephen Card painting. I have never been to the Mexican Riviera but I know I’ve seen this before.

Maybe.  If the painting was on the Veendam at that time I suppose it could be a photo of the painting..  It’s been 6 years since we took this cruise and the photo is in our photo stream between those photos I posted later.  We took a land and sea excursion that day so I thought it could have been taken then.  Interesting!

1 minute ago, RetiredMustang said:

Winner!  (You are hard to stump ... but I'll keep trying.)  

Dave

I remember that shore-side gangway and the opening into the terminal. The ship - also Amsterdam - had to stop on a dime to get it all to fit in place, kinda like Quebec City, Seward and Vancouver 😉