Where in the world is HAL?

bennybear

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

The termination/turning point for most northbound Alaska 7-day cruises

I thought Seward was being dropped and that Whittier was going to be the termination/turning point for HAL Alaska cruises.  I thought that was to start in 2020.  Not so?

22 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I thought Seward was being dropped and that Whittier was going to be the termination/turning point for HAL Alaska cruises.  I thought that was to start in 2020.  Not so?

That pic was not taken in 2020 and there is no 2020 Alaska season 

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Makes two of us! The first ship I ever worked on; they say you never forget your first. Went to Rio de Janeiro and back, up and down the Amazon to Manaus, on the Voyage of the Vikings to Amsterdam, to various ports in the Carib and to the Canada/New England ports out of Boston, Mass. She always came through! Great memories of a fine ship!

Holland America Line - Maasdam V (after Gym extension) (to Seajets as Aegean Myth).jpg

We too remember her with fondness.  Our first HAL ship was Noordam III, but we've taken several on Maasdam, including at least four in the Caribbean (two from Norfolk, VA after 9/11), a trans-Pacific followed by circum-Oz cruise, and a Hawaii/French Polynesia cruise out of San Diego.  We always took the same cabin, which had its kinks, but suited us just fine.

Dave

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

We too remember her with fondness.  Our first HAL ship was Noordam III, but we've taken several on Maasdam, including at least four in the Caribbean (two from Norfolk, VA after 9/11), a trans-Pacific followed by circum-Oz cruise, and a Hawaii/French Polynesia cruise out of San Diego.  We always took the same cabin, which had its kinks, but suited us just fine.

Dave

Pretty sure I met you in person on Maasdam on a Carib cruise out of FLL

29 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Pretty sure I met you in person on Maasdam on a Carib cruise out of FLL

And I still have the photo DW took of me and you at a dinner you hosted in the MDR -- you were in dress unis, but I had not brought my old dinner dress (good thing -- it was after I retired from active duty and probably would not have been able to get into it.)  Good times, and thanks for them.

Dave

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Victoria?  On Vancouver island? 

Right ocean.  Think further north.  Here is an aerial view (not taken by me, except in the sense of taken from the internet.  All the others I've posted are actually mine.)

150764600_aerialview.jpg.d32f8c8cd4bc17f7208db74b8858243a.jpg

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

21 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Right ocean.  Think further north.  Here is an aerial view (not taken by me, except in the sense of taken from the internet.  All the others I've posted are actually mine.)

150764600_aerialview.jpg.d32f8c8cd4bc17f7208db74b8858243a.jpg

Dave

That looks like Kodiak.  I get to go there for work 2-3 times a year.  One of my other favorites towns in AK.  🙂

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

That looks like Kodiak.  I get to go there for work 2-3 times a year.  One of my other favorites towns in AK.  🙂

Winner!  We've only been the one time, but I was struck by the colors of the sky at dawn as we arrived.  A special moment.

Dave

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

That pic was not taken in 2020 and there is no 2020 Alaska season 

Just a bit miffed at this response.  Obviously, I know this.  You failed to respond to my question about the change of ports from Seward to Whittier.  🙁

• Like 1