Port Shuttles

Train lover

On our transatlantic cruise last fall, they had free shuttle buses to take us from where the ship docked in Le Verdon-sur-Mer to Soulac-sur-Mer. The passengers who wanted to go to Bordeaux could arrange their own transportation or book a Princess excursion. Bordeaux on your own was $110 per person.

In Bilbao, they had free shuttle buses from the port into the city. It was around a 25-minute ride. It was great going, but there was a long line we waited in to get back. Some people were impatient and took cabs back to the ship. 

On 9/23/2020 at 8:07 PM, Thrak said:

In Alta, Norway Princess wanted something like $20 (can't remember but we were pretty blown away) per person for round trip bus from the tender drop off to town and back. It was crazy.

There was a similar charge in Tromso, Norway in June 2019.  DH and I were cruising with my brother and sister-in-law and we paid less than half that to take a taxi roundtrip.  The shuttle in Bergen was free but that just got us out of the port.  It was still a bit of a walk (enjoyable in beautiful weather) to the old town. 

In 2016 the shuttle in Lima to a centralized location (but not the historical center) was free.  People met their private tours there.

4 minutes ago, capriccio said:

There was a similar charge in Tromso, Norway in June 2019.  DH and I were cruising with my brother and sister-in-law and we paid less than half that to take a taxi roundtrip.  The shuttle in Bergen was free but that just got us out of the port.  It was still a bit of a walk (enjoyable in beautiful weather) to the old town. 

In 2016 the shuttle in Lima to a centralized location (but not the historical center) was free.  People met their private tours there.

We stood in the snow in a very long line in the freezing cold. Princess had 3 buses but loaded them one at a time and it took forever. Nobody could figure out why they were doing it that way and everybody was freaking freezing. I think it took something like 45 minutes before we made it onto the bus. It was insane. Once you got to town there was a mall that was open but that was about it. There was free WiFi at the mall but they had to text you a code for the password and, of course, pretty much nobody from the ship had cell service in Norway. D'Oh! Most people wandered around the mall for a bit and then lined up to take the bus back to the tender. It was pretty pathetic.

• 2 years later...
On 9/25/2020 at 10:00 PM, hobbyfarmer2 said:

A shuttle was provided in Barcelona by the port.  It was free.

As of spring 2023, Barcelona port shuttle is 5€ each, RT.  Malaga about the same.  Alicante has a free shuttle.  At Toulon, we docked across the Bay, if you did not book an excursion Water Taxi was $20. each RT, or you could walk and get the ferry for 2-3€.  Cartagena you can walk into town.  Ajaccio town is adjacent to both dock and tender.  

On 9/28/2020 at 9:42 AM, Cruise Wonderland said:

However it was also charged when I visited Barcelona in 2013 / 2015 / 2018...

Did you sail on a luxury cruise line? If so, then perhaps the cruise line will pay for that cost and arrange 1-2 buses specially for their own passengers.

No, we're talking as far back as 2005 the shuttle from the location I marked in the picture above was always free.