How Big is Too Big?

LauraS

• Administrators

As we reported last week in our news story, Royal Caribbean announced it would build cruising's biggest ship ever: The first in its proposed series of Genesis-class ships will measure a whopping 220,000 tons and carry 5,400 passengers. The ship, which will be 43 percent larger than Royal Caribbean's soon-to-be-launched Freedom of the Seas -- itself the biggest cruise ship ever built -- will be launched in fall 2009.

We want to know: Poll: How big is too big? Tell us how you feel and we'll publish the results next week.

Then, after you've told us, share with each other.......

Will these new Genesis class cruise ships come with their own zip code and area code? After all, 5,000+ people would be considered a moderate size village or town, wouldn't it? Imagine living on the ship all the time: going to school, work, etc. Never having to touch land again. Wait. Wasn't there a movie like that? Oh yeah! "Water World" ... I imagine we'll find out eventually that they've been building these ships bigger and bigger for the eventual ice cap melting. :-D

Undrhil

Sign Me UP!!! I would DEFINITELY Cruise on it. Bigger ship means more buffets, more restaurants, more options...not longer lines...just means MORE STUFF...EVERYWHERE!!!

RCCL would not spend 1.24 BILLION Dollars....without thinking about things such as long buffet lines!

I'd cruise on it too - after I read numerous reviews to make sure I wasn't going to be standing in line all the time. Of course, I also love the megaresorts in Vegas, so my taste is different than other people's. I find even at the biggest Vegas strip hotel, there are still places you can get away and be alone, or nearly.

Could ya just imagine the buffet lines,tender lines,embarkation & debarkation lines, the number of deck chairs saved.....:eek:

Depends on how the ship is layed out. I can tell you that the Voyager class ships have a much better passenger flow and less crowded feeling than the Conquest class. Also the buffets are layed out great. That can make all the difference. Still not sure that I want to cruise on the Genesis. I may change my mind when I see the deck plans.

i recently cruised on the conquest... found it a little to big and missing that personal feeling you get with the waiter, room steward etc.... they all just seemed sooo busy... so many people to wait on and no time for them to give as much attention as on the ships a little bit smaller.... so i really have no desire to go on a ship larger than the conquest.... i will sail conquest again ... but not any bigger than that!!

I can't imagine a ship holding 2.5 times the people that are on the ships such as the Spirit etc. As has been stated earlier I would be concerned about the movement of the ship. We are sailing the Glory in about two weeks and we have seen a lot of posts about how much she rocks. The article that I saw about project Genisis showed the length of the ship to be the same as I am used to sailing on. To me that means more decks to handle the amount of people and that means a taller ship. It seems like that would be awful top heavy and subject to even more movement. 2000-2500 people at one time seems enough to me.

dpfred

I can't imagine a ship holding 2.5 times the people that are on the ships such as the Spirit etc. As has been stated earlier I would be concerned about the movement of the ship. We are sailing the Glory in about two weeks and we have seen a lot of posts about how much she rocks. The article that I saw about project Genisis showed the length of the ship to be the same as I am used to sailing on. To me that means more decks to handle the amount of people and that means a taller ship. It seems like that would be awful top heavy and subject to even more movement. 2000-2500 people at one time seems enough to me.

dpfred

Actually the new Genesis will be much longer than anything you have cruised thus far if your sig line is correct.

Genesis = 1181 feet long and 154 feet wide

Spirit Class = 960 feet long and 106 feet wide - Genesis will be 221 ft. longer

Conquest Class = 953 long and 116 feet wide - Genesis will be 228 ft. longer.

The Genesis will be built upon the Voyager/Freedom design with modifications and the Voyager class ships are some of the most smoothing riding ships that I have cruised. The width of the Genesis will provide that smooth riding experience as she is only going to be 3 foot taller than the Voyager class ships and QM2.

Will these new Genesis class cruise ships come with their own zip code and area code? After all, 5,000+ people would be considered a moderate size village or town, wouldn't it? Imagine living on the ship all the time: going to school, work, etc. Never having to touch land again. Wait. Wasn't there a movie like that? Oh yeah! "Water World" ... I imagine we'll find out eventually that they've been building these ships bigger and bigger for the eventual ice cap melting. :-D

Undrhil

Heck, that's more people than my home town in Indiana ! :rolleyes:

Archived