The future of Cunard

WorldTraveler151208

55 minutes ago, North West Newbie said:

Not according to a well known online translator. It seems that your version refers to the "host" deciding as opposed to @PORT ROYAL's "guest" deciding.

Nope. Sorry. Whatever hospitem means, and it means both host and guest, it is in the accusative and can't be doing anything. Trust me, I know nothing about Cunard, but I know Latin, if that is what it is meant to be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No one has mentioned the one thing which is truly unique on Cunard, and that is fixed seating in the main dining room.  As much as anything else, that is what brings me back.

I have travelled on Azamara, Oceana and Crystal.  The latter was wonderful, but after my last Crystal voyage they went over to dine-as-you-please, so they are out of the consideration set.  On Oceana, going to dinner was rather like showing up at a downtown restaurant on a Saturday night without reservations.  Either stand on line, or wait on some lounge chairs; neither appeals, so they're out of the consideration set.  Same thing on Azamara.

Lack of fixed seating means that the first 15 minutes of the meal are spent on introductions, which is a trial for someone like me who has a terrible memory for names, and even worse when I run into someone on a Thursday who was at my table on Monday and I have no recollection. 

On Cunard, by the second evening I've got everybody straight, and conversation builds over the duration of the trip as we get to really know each other.  Haven't had a dud table yet on Cunard.

I believe that Cunard and some of the HAL ships are the only ones left with fixed seating.  If and when Cunard ends this practice, I'll toss my Diamond pin and find another way to travel.

Edited by rsquare
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, rsquare said:

...going to dinner was rather like showing up at a downtown restaurant on a Saturday night without reservations.  Either stand on line, or wait on some lounge chairs...

Lack of fixed seating means that the first 15 minutes of the meal are spent on introductions, which is a trial for someone like me who has a terrible memory for names, and even worse when I run into someone on a Thursday who was at my table on Monday and I have no recollection. 

On Cunard, by the second evening I've got everybody straight, and conversation builds over the duration of the trip as we get to really know each other.  Haven't had a dud table yet on Cunard.

I believe that Cunard and some of the HAL ships are the only ones left with fixed seating.  If and when Cunard ends this practice, I'll toss my Diamond pin and find another way to travel.

Well said.  The shared table is a highlight of my sailing and it's convenient to know that a seat is always ready and waiting for me rather than the other way around.  I won't sail NCL because they only have  "freestyle" dining.  For a solo that means searching for dining comany every day.  I've temporarily laid aside my Diamond pin until shared tables can return to Cunard. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rsquare said:

No one has mentioned the one thing which is truly unique on Cunard, and that is fixed seating in the main dining room.  As much as anything else, that is what brings me back.

I have travelled on Azamara, Oceana and Crystal.  The latter was wonderful, but after my last Crystal voyage they went over to dine-as-you-please, so they are out of the consideration set.  On Oceana, going to dinner was rather like showing up at a downtown restaurant on a Saturday night without reservations.  Either stand on line, or wait on some lounge chairs; neither appeals, so they're out of the consideration set.  Same thing on Azamara.

Princess and P&O still have fixed seating or the correct term is 'Traditional Dining - same table, same table mates each night at the same time.

On 10/28/2020 at 8:55 AM, exlondoner said:

Nope. Sorry. Whatever hospitem means, and it means both host and guest, it is in the accusative and can't be doing anything. Trust me, I know nothing about Cunard, but I know Latin, if that is what it is meant to be.

Bravo! I was going to post the same thing.

• Thanks 1