Balcony dividers on Explorer

mofrances

Does anyone know if the balcony dividers on Explorer can be opened? We are sailing in three Concierge D suites in a row and would love to be able to open up the balcony to each other.  I'm curious if the entire partition is folded back, or just a portion.  If anyone has a pic of open dividers on Explorer that would be really helpful.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, mofrances said:

Thanks all.  I had no idea that it was a fire risk - that's pretty scary.  Think we will skip opening up the dividers and just use the cabin door as Sheila suggests. 

I suspect opening two dividers would increase the fire risk from minuscule to tiny. If I was traveling people I was comfortable sharing a balcony with I would make the request. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

I suspect opening two dividers would increase the fire risk from minuscule to tiny. If I was traveling people I was comfortable sharing a balcony with I would make the request. 

Even if the cruise like would permit opening dividers, it seems like any privacy you might have would be lost unless you keep your curtains drawn.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 2:41 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

Even if the cruise like would permit opening dividers, it seems like any privacy you might have would be lost unless you keep your curtains drawn.

I guess I am assuming that people who request opening the dividers are aware that privacy is reduced, and would take that into account. 

• Like 1

Yes we are aware of the reduced privacy of course.  The three rooms we are looking to open up to are for my immediate family - my husband and I and our children ages 15-26. 

At this point my greatest concern is not so much the balcony dividers but whether we will be able to sail at all. From what I read, the vaccine is only recommended for people ages 16 and over, which means my daughter would not be vaccinated by the time of our scheduled cruise as she will only be 15 then.  I am assuming that she (and therefore our whole group) would not be allowed on board if that is the case.  Bigger problem than the balcony...😏

• 2 years later...

Dear mofrances,

Just want to follow-up regarding your past cruise on explorer. Was regent seven seas officer on board able to accommodate your request to have the balcony divider to be opened ?

I also will sail on RSS grandeur and have 2 rooms side by side with immediate family member and wonder if we could have the divider to be opened so we can enjoy the the time together on the balcony.

Thank you 

We travelled with family members in an adjoining suite on Splendor in March and asked our attendant if she could open the balcony dividers between the two. She said that it's not allowed company wide (not sure if that meant Regent or NCLH).

She attended to our needs perfectly otherwise, and was really bothered that she had to say no to us, so I believe it is their policy.

4 minutes ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

We travelled with family members in an adjoining suite on Splendor in March and asked our attendant if she could open the balcony dividers between the two. She said that it's not allowed company wide (not sure if that meant Regent or NCLH).

She attended to our needs perfectly otherwise, and was really bothered that she had to say no to us, so I believe it is their policy.

Many thanks for the input.

On 12/14/2020 at 5:46 PM, mofrances said:

Yes we are aware of the reduced privacy of course.  The three rooms we are looking to open up to are for my immediate family - my husband and I and our children ages 15-26. 

At this point my greatest concern is not so much the balcony dividers but whether we will be able to sail at all. From what I read, the vaccine is only recommended for people ages 16 and over, which means my daughter would not be vaccinated by the time of our scheduled cruise as she will only be 15 then.  I am assuming that she (and therefore our whole group) would not be allowed on board if that is the case.  Bigger problem than the balcony...😏

Regent no longer requires proof of vaccination:

Do guests need to be vaccinated to sail?
Regent Seven Seas Cruises welcomes all guests onboard, regardless of vaccination status, subject to specific local health regulations. Vaccination requirements, if any, will be highlighted to guests approximately 30-days prior to sailing.

• Like 1

The policy regarding opening the balcony dividers seems to be fluid depending on who you ask, what ship you're on, and how insistent you want to be.  We've successfully have the balcony dividers opened three out of four times we've asked.  Twice on the Explorer and once on the Navigator.  It's not the full divider, it's just the bit near the railing which allows people to pass through.  If you're comfortable with the people you're travelling with, it's a lot easier than having to ring the doorbell any time you want to have a chat.

• Like 1