Cruise ports

lenquixote66

One reason that we like Greece so much is that it is a place where we can book a flight, book a return flight six or seven weeks later for another airline gateway, have solid plans/reservations for our first three-five days and our last night in an airport hotel prior to our departure.   And sometimes a few soft reservations after that. 

The rest we just do as we please with no schedule-very spontaneous.  All we knew when we left last year was that we were either going to score a late booking cruise or spend the last two weeks in either Cyprus, Israel, or Morocco.  We did not get a cruise but did end up in Cyprus for two weeks.

We have a general idea of where we want to go but we are not constrained by reservation dates, schedules etc.   The only definite is where we have to be the night before our flight home.    Never a problem with transportation, accommodation.   Thailand and SE Asia is the same.   Extremely easy to travel, wonderful people in both places.  

Edited by iancal

22 minutes ago, iancal said:

One reason that we like Greece so much is that it is a place where we can book a flight, book a return flight six or seven weeks later for another airline gateway, have solid plans/reservations for our first three-five days and our last night in an airport hotel prior to our departure.   And sometimes a few soft reservations after that. 

The rest we just do as we please with no schedule-very spontaneous.  All we knew when we left last year was that we were either going to score a late booking cruise or spend the last two weeks in either Cyprus, Israel, or Morocco.  We did not get a cruise but did end up in Cyprus for two weeks.

We have a general idea of where we want to go but we are not constrained by reservation dates, schedules etc.   The only definite is where we have to be the night before our flight home.    Never a problem with transportation, accommodation.   Thailand and SE Asia is the same.   Extremely easy to travel, wonderful people in both places.  

I want to travel with you 🙂

11 hours ago, clo said:

That's great to 'hear.' I honestly wouldn't go back to Santorini if you paid me. Swarming with tourists. Almost as bad as Dubrovnik where we also wouldn't return. 

Yet we managed to find in Santorini a place basically empty. As I have told before we got lost (and it turns out we were somewhere off the map we took off the HAL Noordam). It was a museum of the early culture of the island and it was in a cave. We took the tour with one other couple and the narration was done in English for us and Greek for them. We were so far off the beaten path that the museum person tried to get us a cab, but could not. (We did see a few go by on the way to the airport.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Depends on what you want to do ashore. I'm not a beach or scenery person. With me it's generally a museum or archeological site that I want to visit.

I am also not a beach person, but DW is a swimmer.(There have been summers when she has not missed a day.) So we do get to beaches where I watch out stuff. But since she is an art teacher museums are a priority. Archeological digs are also explored.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yet we managed to find in Santorini a place basically empty. As I have told before we got lost (and it turns out we were somewhere off the map we took off the HAL Noordam). It was a museum of the early culture of the island and it was in a cave. We took the tour with one other couple and the narration was done in English for us and Greek for them. We were so far off the beaten path that the museum person tried to get us a cab, but could not. (We did see a few go by on the way to the airport.

I'm curious which museum you went to -- I assume in Thira?  There are several I'm aware of that have some early cultural/prehistoric artefacts.

Was it this one?  This has the famous frescoes from Akrotiri, plus various other objects (large pithoi, etc.) found there, but I wouldn't really call it a cave:

image.png.877f26011e8876d318a3c2603e2269af.png

image.thumb.png.1c208065c319e5fa590640a370f17d0c.png

The Archaeology Museum of Thira has a wider range of artefacts (Greek, Roman) but again it is not in a cave:

image.thumb.png.0ec86b6c0a92eba6d31d8a43da8961dd.png

image.png.bfc0231299449156dd57be208cfe8022.png 

Both of these are also located right in central Thira. So I'm thinking you're talking about a different one. Would love to know more about it and what you saw.

50 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm curious which museum you went to -- I assume in Thira?  There are several I'm aware of that have some early cultural/prehistoric artefacts.

Was it this one?  This has the famous frescoes from Akrotiri, plus various other objects (large pithoi, etc.) found there, but I wouldn't really call it a cave:

image.png.877f26011e8876d318a3c2603e2269af.png

image.thumb.png.1c208065c319e5fa590640a370f17d0c.png

The Archaeology Museum of Thira has a wider range of artefacts (Greek, Roman) but again it is not in a cave:

image.thumb.png.0ec86b6c0a92eba6d31d8a43da8961dd.png

image.png.bfc0231299449156dd57be208cfe8022.png 

Both of these are also located right in central Thira. So I'm thinking you're talking about a different one. Would love to know more about it and what you saw.

I really don't know the name, and I don't think I ever did. But it was none of those. And it was in a cave!

It was somewhere between the port and the airport; that's all I can really say for sure.