Carnival hopes to resume in April - Australia

I can confirm the cancellation of the June Singapore to Brisbane cruise. The email arrived this morning. We booked that cruise the day it was released, as it had a great itinerary that included Broome and then some scenic cruising along the coast on the way to Darwin. Hopefully they will have that itinerary some time in the future after cruising resumes.

At least Carnival have given plenty of notice of the cancellation, and we had not booked any flights or hotels as we did not think that it would go ahead. Now we only have one remaining booking - Sapphire Princess to New Zealand in November. Who knows about that one!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

I can confirm the cancellation of the June Singapore to Brisbane cruise. The email arrived this morning. We booked that cruise the day it was released, as it had a great itinerary that included Broome and then some scenic cruising along the coast on the way to Darwin. Hopefully they will have that itinerary some time in the future after cruising resumes.

If Carnival doesn't Princess will. Perth to Sydney Top End cruises usually do that.

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

When cruising does commence here I suspect the government will insist that ships arrive with crew only and with enough time in hand to ensure the crew has essentially been in lockdown on that ship for the usual quarantine period, which may include the time it took for the ship to get here from its last port stop.

This is something I have been suggesting for a while.

Apart from the government possibly requiring it, I think the cruise lines will probably want it as well. The last thing a cruise line would want it to have a crew member test positive. They will probably make their crew quarantine on land for 14 days before even boarding a ship, meaning they then have an extra week while the ships sails to Australia with no passengers.

This way, they can be certain that they are not responsible for bringing Covid to Australia.

My Carnival cruise for April 2nd was cancelled a couple of weeks ago.  If they start sailing again in April, it'll be later in the month.  I rebooked for June cruise but I doubt that'll sail.  However, that is a Queensland cruise from Sydney so who knows; there may be the opportunity for Australia-only sailings.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 11:29 AM, By The Bay said:

It could be coming direct to Brisbane after picking up the crew. 🤔

"Carnival said the cancellation of the repositioning cruise will not impact its Brisbane-based Carnival Spirit season, which is set to kick off on 27 Jun". Source Cruise Weekly.

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

"Carnival said the cancellation of the repositioning cruise will not impact its Brisbane-based Carnival Spirit season, which is set to kick off on 27 Jun". Source Cruise Weekly.

It will just magically appear at the dock for the 27th.

It seems to me that if cruising starts again in Australia it would be in last quarter of 2021 at best. At that stage it would be very unlikely that cruises will be allowed to the Islands, PNG or anywhere in Asia.

In the best case there is a possibility NZ might join us in a bubble. If that happens all cruises would be limited to Australian and NZ ports. That means that Carnival alone will have to cancel 16 currently scheduled cruises for the last quarter of 2021. I imagine it would be even more for each of RCL, Princess and P&O Oz.

What I suppose I'm saying is that whenever cruising restarts it will be messy and chaotic. Cruises will be cancelled left right and center and last minute replacement cruises will be slotted into their places. It will also mean that many more cruises will be competing for berths in all major cities, especially Sydney. We may see a lot more use of regional ports like Geelong, Port Kembla, Eden, Newcastle, Gladstone and Townsville.

Carnival do call there cancelled cruises a future cruise credit.

If you have had a cancelled cruise 6 or more days you can either get a 100% refund or A 100% future Cruise Credit PLUS $900 PER ROOM obc..

Had 16th March 2020 cancelled, so booked 2 for October 2020. Had them cancelled, so sitting on the FCC, to cut off date 31st match.. Prices are just 2 expensive in Dec, Jan & Feb. To book..