3 in a room?

Last October I cruised with my husband, 16 year old daughter and 14 year old son (Splendour from Barcelona). We took 2 outside cabins with connecting door - boys in 1, girls in the other.

We have booked for February 2007 (Enchantment from Fort Lauderdale) and have decided on 2 balcony cabins - 1 on either side of the ship to take full advantage of sunshine or views.

We are now thinking of taking an additional short cruise (Legend from Southampton) in August with my Father in law as a gift to celebrate his 80th birthday in February.

What would be the best room choice? We are thinking of 2 cabins, again - 1 for the boys and 1 for the girls but we are concerned about the 3rd bed. We would not want my 14 year old son to have the 'short straw'. What are the sofa bed / pullman beds like? All advice gratefully received.

Regards,

Jane (in the pouring rain)

x

I wouldn't consider it a "short straw" to have to sleep in an upper bed. Any bed on a cruise is a great one, in my opinion.

Our friends took their 2 kids w/ them and all were in the same cabin. A little cramped, but a great cruise!

We have always cruised as a threesome, and my son, who is now 6', got the upper bunk, when that was the cabin's configuration. On this last New Year's cruise, I took the sofa bed, because it was actually quite comfortable with the egg crate topper, and I'm much shorter than my kids and the sofabed is a little bit shorter than the regular beds in the cabin.

A fourteen year old boy should be CRAWLING ON THE GROUND GRATEFUL that his benevolent parents are even TAKING him on a cruise.

JMO YMMV

There has been a lot of info on these boards about sofa beds and pullman beds. From what I have read, in general, most prefer the pullman over the sofa bed for comfort and convenience (less crowded). Note I say "in general". Also, most folks say their kids are so tired after a day of "cruising fun", that they are asleep before their heads hit the pillow, "short straw" bed or not. Have a great time with your family!

Archived