Covid Negative Test Prior to Arrival in Hawaii

AF-1

I wonder if the State of Hawaii will discontinue the requirement to get a Negative Covid test prior to arriving.  According to this new guidance from the CDC you can travel anywhere in the United States without Quarantine or Covid test;  "if you have been fully vaccinated". 

When You’ve Been Fully Vaccinated | CDC

Edited by AF-1

24 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The Governor has indicated that once the CDC gave travel guidance for vaccinated travelers, he would amend the requirements. I expect we will hear from the State of Hawaii shortly. 

That will be some good news.  Happy Easter

Hawaii is considering letting tourists in with the card we all got when we were vaccinated. The one worry I have is the wording of the notices being sent out. They say vaccine cannot be more than 3 months prior and at least 2 weeks after the second jab. We were fully vaccinated in January but not flying there until November so we would not meet their criteria. We would need a booster but that hasnt even been addressed yet by anyone. 

Edited by sugcarol

37 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

Hawaii is considering letting tourists in with the card we all got when we were vaccinated. The one worry I have is the wording of the notices being sent out. They say vaccine cannot be more than 3 months prior and at least 2 weeks after the second jab. We were fully vaccinated in January but not flying there until November so we would not meet their criteria. We would need a booster but that hasnt even been addressed yet by anyone. 

I believe what they mean is your second shot can not be more than three months from first shot and after two weeks you are fully vaccinated.  

20 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I believe what they mean is your second shot can not be more than three months from first shot and after two weeks you are fully vaccinated.  

I don't think that's right.  I believe the three months comes from the original CDC guidance to those who have been vaccinated to only assume the vaccine is effective for three months after being fully vaccinated, with fully vaccinated defined as starting two weeks after you receive your final vaccine dose. That guidance was due to the fact that the EUAs were granted after Phase III trials that only extended about three months, a far shorter trial than vaccines would normally undergo.

Now, three months after the first EUAs, there's every indication that the vaccines are effective for 6 months so I think the guidance will soon be extended to 6 months.

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I don't think that's right.  I believe the three months comes from the original CDC guidance to those who have been vaccinated to only assume the vaccine is effective for three months after being fully vaccinated, with fully vaccinated defined as starting two weeks after you receive your final vaccine dose. That guidance was due to the fact that the EUAs were granted after Phase III trials that only extended about three months, a far shorter trial than vaccines would normally undergo.

Now, three months after the first EUAs, there's every indication that the vaccines are effective for 6 months so I think the guidance will soon be extended to 6 months.

I will be out of luck, my cruise in November would be 10 months after my second dose, this sucks

27 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

I will be out of luck, my cruise in November would be 10 months after my second dose, this sucks

By then they may have extended the immunity timeline. At worst I would think they would just require a negative COVID test as they do currently.

The reality is that it's impossible to see that far down the road and one just has to accept that regulations are going to continually change.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

By then they may have extended the immunity timeline. At worst I would think they would just require a negative COVID test as they do currently.

The reality is that it's impossible to see that far down the road and one just has to accept that regulations are going to continually change.

The picture you have on your post is a sulky rider? My great grandfather competed in races and sadly passed away at a young age in a sulky race accident. Thank you for encouragement, i thought we were so smart getting the vaccine early but the best thing is that we have much less risk being vaccinated now.

Edited by sugcarol

1 hour ago, sugcarol said:

The picture you have on your post is a sulky rider? My great grandfather competed in races and sadly passed away at a young age in a sulky race accident. Thank you for encouragement, i thought we were so smart getting the vaccine early but the best thing is that we have much less risk being vaccinated now.

Sorry to learn of your great grandfather's untimely death. Yes, it's an old harness racing photo that I found somewhere on the internet. I owned Standardbred racehorses for many years, hence the picture and the "horseman" part of my screen name.

We also got vaccinated as soon as we could, just for the reason you stated...to lower our risk as much as possible. In the time since vaccination we still haven't done anything that we weren't doing prior to be vaccinated. I suppose sometime soon we'll be willing to start the return to a more normal life.

From Maui Now:

"Just days after submitting a proposal for a pilot vaccine passport program for Maui, Mayor Michael Victorino said it does not appear promising after further discussion with the governor. “It doesn’t look like he’ll approve the (vaccine) passport, but that hasn’t been confirmed,” said Mayor Victorino during a press briefing on Thursday afternoon.

12 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

From Maui Now:

"Just days after submitting a proposal for a pilot vaccine passport program for Maui, Mayor Michael Victorino said it does not appear promising after further discussion with the governor. “It doesn’t look like he’ll approve the (vaccine) passport, but that hasn’t been confirmed,” said Mayor Victorino during a press briefing on Thursday afternoon.

I saw that. The Governor seems to just be happy with CDC card being adequate proof of vaccination,  it appears.

For people coming from the mainland;  they would not need a passport;  so the passport program does not apply to them.  Visitors from foreign countries do need their passports for Hawaii;  and they would carry their own vaccination card in addition to their passports.  Happy Easter

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

For people coming from the mainland;  they would not need a passport;  so the passport program does not apply to them.  Visitors from foreign countries do need their passports for Hawaii;  and they would carry their own vaccination card in addition to their passports.  Happy Easter

"Passport" in this case does not mean the traditional  passport used for international travel. The word is being used in its secondary more generic meaning of "a permission or authorization to go somewhere" or "something that secures admission, acceptance, or attainment" .

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/passport

The actual form or format of a vaccine passport is still under development by various government entities and private industry and potentially could take any number of forms from a digital record appended to a traditional passport to a physical document such as the WHO's Yellow Card.

Right now in the USA I suspect the CDC document provided to those who have been vaccinated would be acceptable (despite being easy to forge) given the lack of any better documentation being  available at this time.

Edited by njhorseman

5 hours ago, AF-1 said:

To clarify, under the (vaccine passport) program proposal fully vaccinated individuals, with at least two weeks of incubation since their final vaccination dose, would be able to bypass the state’s 10-day quarantine without having to take a test.  Mayor Victorino is also requesting a second test requirement for arriving travelers and is also awaiting response from the governor.

njhoseman and Silver Sweethearts;  thank you both for your answers and  clarification.  Silver Sweethearts I won't be going to Maui;  although I have been many times;  this time I am taking family of ten to Oahu and Waikiki in June.  Have a nice day

Edited by AF-1

The Governor of Hawaii has now approved the concept that a fully vaccinated person will not have to have a negative Covid test prior to landing in Hawaii. However, he delegated developing the policy to the Hawaii Secretary of Emergency Management how to confirm a person is truly vaccinated, and the Secretary has had issues with how to verify vaccine status. That tells me it may be a while before the policy takes effect.

• Thanks 1

I say we take a picture of our vaccine card;  our name is on it and if it matches our drivers license name(which is required for the safe travel form);  we should be good to go.  Time will tell.  Hope the figure it our soon;  I have a 3 June flight to HNL.

39 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I say we take a picture of our vaccine card;  our name is on it and if it matches our drivers license name(which is required for the safe travel form);  we should be good to go.  Time will tell.  Hope the figure it our soon;  I have a 3 June flight to HNL.

I think the better idea is to wait for the announced policies, and comply with them. From other sites, the hints are you will upload a copy of your vaccine card to the SafeTravels site, and then present it in person when you arrive at your first stop in the Islands, along with your DL. That is supposition at this time, but it meets a reasonable test of verification.

17 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I think the better idea is to wait for the announced policies, and comply with them. From other sites, the hints are you will upload a copy of your vaccine card to the SafeTravels site, and then present it in person when you arrive at your first stop in the Islands, along with your DL. That is supposition at this time, but it meets a reasonable test of verification.

CruiserBruce;  yes I agree with you.  I meant to say I will take a picture of my vaccine card and load the pdf of it to the Hawaii Safe Travels site;  I have already filled out all I can;  just waiting on the final aprroval for the vaccine card and will upload it

12 hours ago, scottca075 said:

If the question is based on cruising to Hawaii, by the time cruising to Hawaii returns, I think Hawaii's Covid testing and requirements will be gone.

For me I am taking a family vacation to Honolulu in June.  We are flying in from Dallas.  So being able to go without having a Covid19 negative test 72 hours prior;  will be such a relief.  Uploading my vaccine card to the Safe Travel Hawaii Website will be great.  We will wait and see

Edited by AF-1

18 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

CruiserBruce;  yes I agree with you.  I meant to say I will take a picture of my vaccine card and load the pdf of it to the Hawaii Safe Travels site;  I have already filled out all I can;  just waiting on the final aprroval for the vaccine card and will upload it

Your June travel date is right on the line for when they are proposing transitioning to the vaccine waiver. You literally might have to test for your trip, and find the vaccine waiver takes place a day or two later. Be prepared. 

Again, nothing confirmed here...theorizing based on past history and info from another site.