Are The Ships Warm In Winter When Cruising Northern Ports

janny444

WE are considering a December Festive cruise to Northern ports on Arcadia with 3 overnight ports of call so my concern is that are the ships warm enough when sitting in the public areas especially with the doors being open all night.

We aint spring chickens so tend to feel the cold 🥶 

We have done a festive cruise before but that was to the Caribbean so warmth of ship was not a consideration

6 minutes ago, janny444 said:

WE are considering a December Festive cruise to Northern ports on Arcadia with 3 overnight ports of call so my concern is that are the ships warm enough when sitting in the public areas especially with the doors being open all night.

We have done a festive cruise before but that was to the Caribbean so warmth of ship was not a consideration

Your name rings a bell. Did you go on the IOTS?

10 minutes ago, janny444 said:

We have never had a problem and I suppose unless you were to be seated near a door

where people are coming and going for a smoke or walk around the decks you will be 

warm enough, I wouldn't worry about it. 

Yes they keep the ships nice and cosy in the main areas. The corridors can however be a lot colder near the main doors out / exits. 

Take a wrap for moving about between venues if in evening wear.

Along with thermals and warm clothes we also took hand warmers for outside activities when it can be really cold (but great fun). Go prepared with layers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes they keep the ships nice and cosy in the main areas. The corridors can however be a lot colder near the main doors out / exits. 

Take a wrap for moving about between venues if in evening wear.

Along with thermals and warm clothes we also took hand warmers for outside activities when it can be really cold (but great fun). Go prepared with layers.

Handwarmers....yes ....that sounds a good idea....never thought of them.....will certainly look into what other kind of warmers there are.

My husband is on blood thinning medication and I think because of that he feels the cold much ore acutely. 

31 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Handwarmers....yes ....that sounds a good idea....never thought of them.....will certainly look into what other kind of warmers there are.

My husband is on blood thinning medication and I think because of that he feels the cold much ore acutely. 

You get the little hand warmers that you just “crack” and they get hot for hours “little hotties”. One in each pocket makes a real difference (and makes you popular with staff if you give them one - better than a cash tip in a cold climate for the bar staff stuck outside).

We have done several of these winter cruises and always go prepared with good quality thermals, decent warm footwear, hats, gloves etc. Sitting outdoors with a mulled wine or hot buttered rum watching an ice carving is magical.

I’ve been on short breaks in November and February and it’s been warm indoors. Obviously wraps or cardigans might be needed in the evening but that’s often true in the summer with the air conditioning.

I have often felt colder on the ship when in hotter regions as your body adapts to the heat and normal ship temperatures can feel cold.  Just take normal indoor stuff, but with a couple of wraps, cardigans or jumpers.  I always find an over blouse useful for non formal nights/days so can still have something which is fine if it gets hot (including in the cabin) but will protect against over zealous air conditioning vents which I often have issues with.

What can be cold is going out onto deck for a walk because the speed of the ship makes any winds more cutting, so make sure your outdoor clothes are versatile with hat, gloves etc. Unless heading for Norway, the temperatures will not necessarily be any colder than northern UK in winter.