Norway Port Questions

Andi Land

Hi CC friends.  I am looking at two Norway cruises that have similar stops but different times in port.  Having never been to Norway, I am leaning on you all for advice.  Here's what I have:

Alesund 11am to 10pm

Geiranger 6 am to 5 pm

Bergan 8 am to 5 pm

OR

Alesund 7 am to 5 pm

Geiranger 8 am to 10 pm

Bergan 7 am to 4 pm

There a bit of difference between the two but is it enough that one is preferable to another?

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Andi

Our cruise is in Bergen until 11 pm and in Geirganger until 11 pm and Alesund from 8 to 6 pm.

check out the Volendam sailing on May 16th, 2022.  We visit 2 fjords that usually only have one featured on each sailing 😉   

• Like 1

One way to help decide is to see what the ship excursions are offering, not that you need to take them.What do they have planned?

The other factor is the timing of the cruises with regards to sunlight. Alesund and Bergen are urban cities. Geiranger is more remote but may offer excursions a greater distance away that extended daylight may help.

Arrival in Bergen at 7 am is a bit early in my opinion and then to leave at 4 pm seems short. Don't forget the all-onboard is actually 3:30 pm (1/2 hour before at ports). A walk along the Bryggen,  a trip up to the Floyen and eating lunch at the Fish Market is most of the day.

• Like 3

I think it depends what you want to do in each port. If you want to go on a Trollstigen tour, then you will need to decide if you want to do it from Alesund or Geiringer.  Depending on your choice, and what you want to do in the other port, can help you decide which cruise is better for you.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vicd1969 said:

I like to do outdoor activities, so the second one with 14 hours in Geiranger would be preferable to me. Which cruise is that?

This actual itinerary is on the NCL Prima in 2023 that also includes Iceland. 

Just before the pandemic, we took my husbands parents to Alaska on the Oosterdam. Now they want to take us on their favorite line NCL. Although they loved HAL so much they’ve booked two more cruises too☺️