Time in port?

KasperGutman

Hi folks, 

Last week I booked my first cruise, and while I have found many useful resources, there is one question I haven't been able to find an answer to yet. Namely, how much time is taken up by the embarkation/debarkation process. I realize that there probably be  a wide variation, so some specifics:

Assume tendering in not required (it doesn't look like any of my stops will require it).

Assume the scheduled docking time in let's say, Istanbul, is 7:30 AM and the scheduled ship's departure time is 7:30 PM. At what point in the morning will I be free and clear of the ship (don't worry about where the port is in relation to the sights, that part I can figure out myself). And what time would be I need to be back ready to board the ship to be safe?

Does it make a difference is the previous port was in the same country, or do you have to clear immigration and customs every day?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

OK, so this is for ports-of-call.

(Embarkation and disembarkation at the beginning and end of your cruise are a different kettle of fish, and embarkation in particular takes a lot longer.)

You can generally expect the gangplank to be open for passenger disembarkation about an hour after scheduled arrival time - less in easy ports like most of the Caribbean, more where there are complications eg into Israel. There's usually long lines ready to disembark before the gangplank opens, and from the back to the line to the gangplank can take 20 minutes or more 😟.  Or you can have a leisurely breakfast while the herd scramble to get ashore & walk off with no delay at all.🙂

Where there are complications eg Egypt the ship and the immigration authorities do their damnest to make it as quick & easy as possible - for instance if face-to-face or visas are needed, immigration staff often board at the previous port and sort it somewhere like ship's theatre or a bar the day before arrival.

So there should be no delays in disembarking in Istanbul, expect to be in the port by about 8.30 to 9am. 

(A dispensation to cruisers in Turkey and many other ports around the world. If - and only if- you arrive and depart Istanbul, and any other Turkish ports-of-call, on the ship you don't need a Turkish visa.) 

BTW usual routine for DIY in Istanbul is a short walk to the nearest tram stop, and a direct tram across the Galata Bridge to Sultanahmet where you'll find most of the sights (Blue Mosque, Roman Cistern, Aya Sofia (if it's open to visitors) all within walking distance. Then walk across to the Grand Bazaar, down through the Grand Bazaar to exit by the Spice Bazaar, then tram back to ship.

Tram is not only simpler and cheaper than taxis, etc, it's also massively quicker - it has its own piece of blacktop in the middle of the road so you whizz through the jammed-up traffic. 

At the end of the day, "latest boarding time" is normally 30 minutes before advertised sailing time (or "last tender" time - when you need to be at the tender pier -  is 60 minutes for tender ports).

Most folk aim to be back at the ship an hour before sailing time, but this varies according to how far you stray, your transportation back, etc.

If you get back to the ship just after a couple of excursion coaches you might be held up for five or even ten minutes, but usually no delay in boarding. Shame the same can't be said for getting into the elevators on the ship- it's often worth using the stairs or walking to a more-distant set of elevators. 

I don't recall having to join a line for immigration anywhere when returning to the ship - but if there's a delay there then lots of other passengers, including some on ship-sponsored excursions, will also be trapped and the ship will wait.

Plenty of info about your ports on other forums https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/8-europe/

Ask on the appropriate one for any port-specific queries.

Things change over time, especially if Covid is still problematic. Don't rely on answers in a single post, including this one, especially on matters like passports, visas & timings.

BTW Istanbul is one of my favourite ports. Is your a single day or does it include an overnite in port?

JB 🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KasperGutman said:

Hi folks, 

Last week I booked my first cruise, and while I have found many useful resources, there is one question I haven't been able to find an answer to yet. Namely, how much time is taken up by the embarkation/debarkation process. I realize that there probably be  a wide variation, so some specifics:

Assume tendering in not required (it doesn't look like any of my stops will require it).

Assume the scheduled docking time in let's say, Istanbul, is 7:30 AM and the scheduled ship's departure time is 7:30 PM. At what point in the morning will I be free and clear of the ship (don't worry about where the port is in relation to the sights, that part I can figure out myself). And what time would be I need to be back ready to board the ship to be safe?

Does it make a difference is the previous port was in the same country, or do you have to clear immigration and customs every day?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! In the ports being visited it takes little time to leave the ship when it pulls into port. Once the port authorities have cleared the ship they pass the word on the loud speaker that the gangway is open and you simply walk off after having your cabin key scanned by security. They will let you know via several means (loud speaker, ship's bulletin, signs at the gangway) what time you have to be back aboard (and this is usually ship's time, if port time is different don't change your watch). Then you have your cabin card scanned and any bags you have will be xrayed.

Don't know when you are cruising but don't forget that with the various Covid requirements currently in place the processes could be somewhat different to maintain "social distancing."  Meaning disembarkation might be "scheduled" by excursion or some other means.  Also, the ship might not allow you off unless you are on a ship excursion to maintain the "bubble."  I know on our scheduled November 2021 cruise embarkation will be scheduled by cabin (I believe) to maintain social distancing and due to additional time to check in with the Covid requirements.  This will, supposedly, keep everyone from being there at the same time and crowding around.

Best to check with you cruise line to see what their requirements are?

Stan

Thanks everyone for the tips. 

JB, that was very helpful and gave me exactly the sort of information I was looking for.

Sparks, glad to hear it should mostly be a painless process.

Stan, my cruise is fortunately (or unfortunately, from the point of view of my impatience to be there 🙂 ) is not until next March. By then, I hope most of the covid restrictions will have eased. Truth be told, when the cutoff for cancelling without penalty comes (end of October) , if they are still projecting that only organized excursions are allowed, sadly I will probably cancel. The idea of spending all day being shuttled around in a bus fills me with horror. (and I have zero interest in shipboard activities - with the exception of an occasional rest day, I will be in the first off the ship/last on the ship group every day  🙂 )

Glen

Edited by KasperGutman
typoes
  • Like 1

The above is very accurate but you will get much more accurate information if you post your itinerary.
If it is because you want to plan excursions in the individual ports, you must also take into account that the ship may be delayed due to weather or technical reasons and that ports may be canceled or itinerary changed - does not happen often, but it does happen.
Always plan to be back well in advance before departure - traffic conditions or problems can mean delays and the ship is not waiting.

Well, all I was really looking for is general guidance (which I got). Now that I have a sense of how long I have each day (which yes, is subject to the vagaries of weather etc.), I can start trying to puzzle out what I can reasonably do and start prioritizing. In a few cases, that may involve doing a ship based excursion.

Where there are multiple sites to take in, I will start with the one furthest away from the ship. In so doing, I hope to minimize the risks of traffic etc. (though obviously it will depend on the port and what I want to see.)

Glen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KasperGutman said:

Where there are multiple sites to take in, I will start with the one furthest away from the ship. In so doing, I hope to minimize the risks of traffic etc. (though obviously it will depend on the port and what I want to see.)

Glen

I'm impressed - a newbie with his head screwed-on 🙂

Yes, standard practice to go to the furthest sight first & work your way back to the ship - if you get held up you by-pass sights or reduce your time at them accordingly.

That can't always be done, but there are other precautions including

- always have a Plan B (eg availability of taxis) that'll get you back to the ship in time.

- if a train or bus is involved, don't plan to take the last suitable one - leave at least that one in reserve. 

- if a ferry is involved do check its reliability in inclement weather. Especially craft like hi-speed jets, which are often cancelled in bad weather. And if there's no Plan B, consider ship's equivalent excursion - that makes the cruise line responsible for getting you back in time. 

- carry a copy of ship's daily broadsheet. It includes contact details of ship's port agent. 

- double-check the back-on-board time (daily broadsheet, tannoy announcements, and displayed at gangplank) . And as per Sparks' post, times quoted are ship's time, which may not be the same as local time. So be wary of the time displayed on public clocks and on your electronic devices.

- don't get drunk. At least not until you're back aboard. 😉 

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

I see your cruise is in Europe.  May I suggest you get a copy of Rick Steve’s’ Mediterranean Cruise Ports.  Thick book, but full of great info.  Written for cruisers, he tells you what there is to do in your ports, and how much you can do in the time you have in port.  Also how to do it, and what it might cost.  Fro the places he does not cover, he recommends Lonely Planet.  Sicily is one of those places.  With Lonely Planet, you can often purchase and download only the chapters you want.  Also, on the Rick Steves website you can download free audio guides (iPod/phone/mp3) for many sites and print out basic maps to go along.  EM

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KasperGutman said:

Well, all I was really looking for is general guidance (which I got). Now that I have a sense of how long I have each day (which yes, is subject to the vagaries of weather etc.), I can start trying to puzzle out what I can reasonably do and start prioritizing. In a few cases, that may involve doing a ship based excursion.

Glen

Hello Glen.

I note that your itinerary takes you to Volos. I can certainly recommend one particular place to visit while you are there. It may well be that, due to the distance, you would need to take a ship's excursion: but it would be well worth it. 

That place is called Meteora and it is covered in my cruise blog of a particular cruise I took some years ago. Here is the link...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/10/03/europa-2-raising-the-bar/

You would need to scroll down to the 'Itinerary' section and then to the second port of call,  Volos. It basically describes the excursion we went on from the ship. Some fabulous scenery and great photographic opportunities. 

894609138_HolyMonasteryofStStephenAccesseasiest.jpg.2837ed4ad6f6b4a1801ded62b03067cf.jpg

1188268022_Meteora26Panorama.jpg.487e3d1ada3e77968a4fd6e732f6ec32.jpg

On 5/22/2021 at 5:46 AM, Essiesmom said:

I see your cruise is in Europe.  May I suggest you get a copy of Rick Steve’s’ Mediterranean Cruise Ports.  Thick book, but full of great info.  Written for cruisers, he tells you what there is to do in your ports, and how much you can do in the time you have in port.  Also how to do it, and what it might cost.  Fro the places he does not cover, he recommends Lonely Planet.  Sicily is one of those places.  With Lonely Planet, you can often purchase and download only the chapters you want.  Also, on the Rick Steves website you can download free audio guides (iPod/phone/mp3) for many sites and print out basic maps to go along.  EM

The Rick Steves book is already being shipped to me as we speak. (His books are always very helpful for practical details). I will have a look at the Lonely Planet website, the ability to download a specific chapter sounds potentially useful. Thanks!

Glen

On 5/22/2021 at 2:30 AM, KasperGutman said:

Glen

Glen,

Also remember to set your watch to ship time, not the local time 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

COVID may change things but yeah, generally an hour after arriving and an hour before leaving port I would expect. Definitely would plan to be back on the ship no later than an hour before sailing out time, just in case you get stuck in traffic.  Been on 8 cruises and never missed a boat yet but have still spent a ton of time in port.

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2021 at 11:24 PM, KasperGutman said:

Solent Richard, I was looking at Meteora, and yes, if I decide to go there, the ship based excursion does seem like the way to go.

Have not seen this "tip" in the responses so far, but, if you are on a ship sponsored tour and it runs late, the ship does wait for your group to get back. If you are just wandering around on your own and run late, the ship will not wait! The message is...don't be a pier runner! 😉